PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 Landing lights

Aussie
2nd Mar 2006, 22:20
Gday all,

Watching a few Dash 8's arriving in yssy the other day, i noticed that all the dash 8's landing lights flash alternativley on approach..

Anyone know why? Never seen on anyother aircraft, just the dash 8's!

Aussie

Slipri
2nd Mar 2006, 22:29
Apparently it's to scare birds off, or was that by having the wx radar on? It's different, not all of them have it, unless they're getting the mod. It's more noticable because it sticks out like dogs balls so everyone can see you! and because it looks so @#$%$*, everyone notices it. But it may be safer!

See and be seen!

What do think about it? Do you think it's a good idea?

get_over_it
2nd Mar 2006, 23:10
It's more noticable because it sticks out like dogs balls so everyone can see you! and because it looks so @#$%$*, everyone notices it. But it may be safer!

See and be seen!

thats the whole idea of them. works well too.

Veruka Salt
3rd Mar 2006, 01:42
Qantas is progressively installing them on 737s. . . . . . looks really gay.:eek:

VH-XXX
3rd Mar 2006, 02:10
Perhaps they are using them for fire-fighting operations as fire-fighting aircraft have this configuration :-) OR who really actually cares about this?

fromwayback
3rd Mar 2006, 04:05
It scares the birds and even apparently prolongs bulb life somehow. Pretty good for being seen too.

Dookie on Drums
3rd Mar 2006, 06:45
It scares the birds and even apparently prolongs bulb life somehow. Pretty good for being seen too.

I wouldn't have thought that the filament heating up and cooling down so often would prolong bulb life. I thought that is what reduces their life! :bored:

fromwayback
3rd Mar 2006, 06:54
Me either but I have no expertise in bulb life expectations. I can only say that the reasons are as mentioned.

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2006, 07:29
I've seen Islanders with landing lights like that.

surfnsun
3rd Mar 2006, 08:45
The lights are known as 'Pulselights'. There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that they may mitigate the risk of birdstrikes, but our own studies suggest this is dubious.

They do enhance the visibility of the aircraft to other air traffic, and also to air traffic controllers.

One of our DHC8's has them fitted for survey ops. Other aircraft operators report that the aircraft is very noticeable, particularly in high traffic density airspace. This aircraft has also been used overseas in Alaska and in various parts of the continental United States. Same feedback, greatly enhanced visibility.

Also, a number of overseas operators use them, particularly in Alaska. Our crews report that other traffic fitted with these lights can be picked up for miles.

And yes, it apparently does enhance the life of the bulbs since they don't actually get a chance to cool down between cycles.

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Mar 2006, 08:45
You would think there were more important things for the FO to do other than switching those lights off then on then off then on then off then on then.........

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tipsy2
3rd Mar 2006, 08:58
I hope these aircraft are not operated by the Irish, can you imagine the preflight....

there working..........there not..........there working...............there not

tipsy

flightleader
3rd Mar 2006, 09:28
Anyone know where to find perfomance data for the Q400(fuel burn,altitude capability...) besides Bombadiar website? Thanks in advance.

Mr Proachpoint
4th Mar 2006, 02:18
Saw a snag entry in one of our machines the other day - "Strobe lights intermittent". WTF?

MAPt

prussian blue
4th Mar 2006, 04:34
Filament life is given in hours, purely a function of how long it takes for enough of it to evaporate until it breaks. When it is incandescent (i.e. on), it is vapourising more so any off time is going to extend chronological life, how hard would it be to land at night with the bloody things strobing away!?

Lynx206
4th Mar 2006, 08:12
Qantas is progressively installing them on 737s. . . . . . looks really gay.:eek:
Instead of the boring old red, green, white has anyone thought of expanding our colour scheme to include yellow, mauve, pink and purple? :} :p :suspect: :sad: :\

hoss
4th Mar 2006, 08:34
Prussian Blue,

At night the approach light is back to normal(app). Pre modification the APP light used to be a two position switch now its a three way switch(pulse,off,app).

When it first came out the company put out an informative advisory bulletin but i cant find it now.

:)

rmcdonal
4th Mar 2006, 22:25
Runway.. No Runway.. Runway.. No Runway.. :E :E