PDA

View Full Version : Patiently Waiting.........BACX!

Pipe_Dream
2nd Mar 2006, 12:08
Hi.
Just wondering how many of you were in the same position as me.
Got the email from Citiexpress(BAconnect) last November saying that I've been shortlisted for interview.......but have heard nothing since. :zzz:
Not particularly worried about it as the ball is in their court. Just curious!:rolleyes:
Cheers!

YYZ_Instructor
2nd Mar 2006, 12:32
I am.....bored stiff! :eek:

29y 1200TT Modular

fast & fat
2nd Mar 2006, 14:07
I am in the situation too..

Must admit I feel its getting beyond a reasonable amount of time to be waiting for interview.

got my email on 31st oct..

:confused:

ramshorn
2nd Mar 2006, 14:27
Hi
Would be interested to know how many hours you all have and were you mod/integrated??

ToneTheWone
2nd Mar 2006, 14:53
Same here - got the e-mail 31st October and heard nothing since!

For anybody's information got CPL via 700 hour route. 1578 hours and hence he ATPL. Age 43 (42 when applied). :E

Headinclouds
2nd Mar 2006, 17:20
I recieved the email on Oct 31st

Recently got the call, only to be told that since I did not have 50 Hrs Current Flying from that date for past 12months, they could no longer proceed with my application. I only had 50 Hrs Flying from the date of the email which was in October, a good six months earlier. The reason given for the currency flying requirement was due to the intensitiy of the TR.

Also had a bit JET SIM time, flying profiles,but this could nt be included :{

Did you guys know that this was an ongoing requirement........?

Good Luck

HIC

Pipe_Dream
2nd Mar 2006, 18:01
:oh: No way! I had no idea that currency was an issue with them!
Did they ask you about how many hours you'd flown since the application when they called you HIC? Seems a tad harsh.
330TT
Modular
30yrs

Headinclouds
2nd Mar 2006, 18:27
Funny thats what I thought.

I spoke to very Polite individual and explained my reasons for not 'burning holes in the sly', but rather trying to constructively keep IR Current and practice profiles on a couple of Sims. This I thought would stand to me. Also I was nt aware that this was an ongoing requirement, as it was specified at any time during the process.

His Reply was simply, 50 Hrs Current Flying Tim was required, all applicant must be treated in the Same Manner............

Ah well.......a stiff pill to swallow.:eek:

rabino
2nd Mar 2006, 20:04
I had the email also on the 31st OCT, no call yet, but to be honest i dont hold out much hope this year for BACX. Now have my fingers in other pies trying to forget BACX until they contact me. Good luck guys and girls, i think we are going to need it!!

Pipe_Dream
3rd Mar 2006, 09:48
Yeah HIC, that does seem pretty unreasonable. What if you can't afford to fly at all?? I mean many of us have taken out bank/personal loans etc. just to fund the flight training! The repayments alone keep us firmly planted on the ground!:hmm:
Oh well....maybe next year! :rolleyes:

speedy688
3rd Mar 2006, 09:49
Question now is, would you lie when called and say you have the hours, then go out and spend however much (£1000 - £3000?) to get the hours you need just to meet the 50hr requirement at the time of interview?

Is it worth spending a lot of money hr building for the chance at an interview with BACX?

Sprawler
3rd Mar 2006, 10:44
Unless you start fiddling with the dates in your logbook, they are going to be able to tell you lied. Don't really think you want to be doing either!
Chances are, you prob wont need to do a full 50 hours, hour building just to meet the requirements. Just enough to keep your 50 hour total for the last 12 months.
Interviews are a scarce commodity and if you got the email, I'd be inclined to keep flying to meet their requirements. Unless of course you just haven't done any flying in the last 12 months and have to do a 50 hour chunk. Then you're really going to have to look at your options. A 2 week trip to the US or Can will prob sort you out but still an expensive trip. From reading previous posts though, I think even once you are in the hold pool, you still have to maintain the 50 hour currency requirement.
Does seem a little harsh though not counting sim time toward the 50 hour requirement. I would have thought IR sim time would be a lot more beneficial toward any future training than VFR trips in a 152!

stanlystansted
3rd Mar 2006, 10:44
Hi,

I've had my e-mail in September and still nothing.... so just hang in there I guess:confused:

SBAB
3rd Mar 2006, 11:02
Hi,
Same here I had my email on the 5th of October, so far no news. A friend of my did get the call, but wasn't invited any further because he didn't have the 50 hours. I have sent them an email asking if they are still going on with the recruitment (as 5 former classmates whom all have been in the holdpool since September have been called in, the last one is starting march 1st). The reply was short, keep your patience. So to all hang in there and try to keep your hours up. Good luck

SBAB

Headinclouds
3rd Mar 2006, 16:48
Guys,
I would nt even entertain the idea of fudging a logbook. Who are you fooling..:ugh:
I would have had to do Nearly the full 50 Hrs, as I had mainly focused on IR Sim timE, in recent time......this you would have thought, would stand to anyone, as opposed to burning holes in the Sky, In US.

To do this would have meant jacking the much needed Job in, to get the flying done in the short one months notice, I was given. Cost of getting to BACX Sim, including some Brush-ups and the Hr Building, about 5-6k. A Tough call to make......

HIC

Lolo737
3rd Mar 2006, 20:49
Headinclouds....me too!

Needless to say I was absolutely gutted to have my much prepared for interview cancelled for the same reason.

I do feel a tad foolish now because its not an unreasonable requirement had it been clear on the application. It goes without saying that I wouldnt have squandered that fantastic opportunity. Like you, I had the hours when I applied but not 5months later. I couldnt get time off and couldnt give up my job to get them. Very disappointing.

Ah well, trying to be philosophical about it, 'whats meant for you...' and all that.:ugh:

The Red Max
3rd Mar 2006, 23:14
5 months seems like a VERY long time to be waiting to be called for an interview, if I was in that position I would put BACX down to experience and move on!

sawotanao
4th Mar 2006, 07:41
Been waiting since 10th Oct 2005, got fingers in other pies its taken sooo loooong. Sent them an email, bit checky but thought what the F:mad: Got one back saying be patient!!! As if:confused: Its been so long they've even changed their name. Got fATPL 450hrs Modular.:ok:

CaptYanknBank
4th Mar 2006, 08:23
Part of the delay I believe, is the name change.
Due to the re-organisation i've heard recruitment has taken a slightly lower priority.
(Just a rumour)
There are a few people in the pool currently so guess they're ok for numbers.

Good luck guys/gals. :ok:

CY&B

boeingbus2002
4th Mar 2006, 19:33
I'm sure the "50 hours" requirement were clearly stated! (I could be wrong!)
I remember thinking it could have been a filter for current pilots, i.e those instructing or just fresh out of training.

Loganair have a similar 35Hour requirement.
I think the actual hours itself aren't the issue, but HOW these were accrued. Burning 50 hours in 2 weeks in the USA or steady regular flying in a "constructive environment" such as instructing/training or undertaking a few IFR trips.

Either way...I'm out!:sad:

A320rider
4th Mar 2006, 21:27
this "50hours in the last 12 months,"it is just a way to select.

it has nothing to do with the sim training, and even a small sim is better for your instrument scan than fly in a 152.

it shows how this market is runed by unprofessional people(not pilot of course) and how they make fun of you and of your futur.
and you do not deserve to work for such airline.

how can they ask such stupid requirements knowing that a guy looking for a job is not flying!

:mad: them!

Han 1st Solo
5th Mar 2006, 14:40
Hi all,

Got my email 10th of October, interviewed 16th January, simmed 19th of Feb, would have been sooner but I was away on holiday. Now in the holding pool, the 50 hours is a continous rolling period, need to keep the IR current as well as my medical. 1100 hours modular, currently a PPL CFI.

Hope this clears up a few of all your queries.

Regards,

Han.

Lolo737
5th Mar 2006, 21:33
BB2002,

As ive said - I do feel now that I should have understood that the 50hrs was an ongoing requirement so I hold my hands up to that. But I dont feel it was clearly stated or Id have done it.

It was clearly stated to me however that hours in the book were all that mattered. ie my IR currency was in this case irrelevant unless I went out and topped up my hrs in any way. C152 would have been fine.

Good luck to all still in it!

Northern Highflyer
6th Mar 2006, 10:17
Received the email on Oct 10th and had well over 50 hours in the 12 months.
Now five months on, still no call, now below 50 hours in the last 12 months and falling rapidly. Cannot afford to do another 50 hours flying even though I want to.
Tried for para dropping. Was told I still don't have enough hours for insurance reasons.
Tried for glider towing. Was told by several places that I need to get my glider licence first. (a fair and reasonable comment)
FI course would be nice if I had the time (off work) and funds to do it.
Looks like I will be joining the "well I tried" brigade and put it down to experience. :(

CaptYanknBank
6th Mar 2006, 19:38
From the BACX job website.

For non-type rated applicants we require in excess of 1000 hours flying experience or successful completion of a CAA or JAA full-time integrated or part-time modular flying course, and have a minimum of 50 hours flying experience in the last 12 months.

Pretty clear to me when I applied.

You will receive an electronic confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted. BA Connect apologise that due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those pilots who have been selected for interview will be contacted.
BA Connect has now closed the on-line application facility. Thank you for your interest.

ToneTheWone
7th Mar 2006, 08:05
It wasn't all that clear to me!

Did it mean -

* 1000 hours and 50 hours in the last 12 months

* or intergrated course and 50 hours in the last 12 months

* or modular and 50 hours in the last 12 months

Or did it mean -

* 1000 hours

* or intergrated

* or modular and 50 hours in the last 12 months

It appears to mean the former but if so why not just say fATPL and 50 hours in the last 12 months:confused:

moku
7th Mar 2006, 08:18
Well reading it, it seems to say.....

* For non-type rated applicants we require in excess of 1000 hours flying experience.

*However.. if you do not meet the 1000 hours requirement you need to have completed a JAA full-time integrated or part-time modular flying course.

*In addition to the above you must have also have a minimum of 50 hours flying experience in the last 12 months.

Now that states in order to apply you need the above. I hope they made it clear, as they did to us last year after being placed in the pool, that to remain in the hold pool you must MAINTAIN the 50 hour requirement.

It would also seem from the wording if you are TYPE RATED in an aircraft BA Con fly then neither of those restrictions apply.

And I agree when they added the modular section last year, why not just state "fATPL and 50 hours in past 12 months"

M.

bodge
7th Mar 2006, 08:29
It might be worth checking to make sure that you are going to be called at all, word is that they have contacted all that they want for assessment and the rest will have to re-apply when the on line application opens again.

Northern Highflyer
7th Mar 2006, 11:07
I qualified to apply with

However.. if you do not meet the 1000 hours requirement you need to have completed a JAA full-time integrated or part-time modular flying course.

*In addition to the above you must have also have a minimum of 50 hours flying experience in the last 12 months.

which I had when my application was submitted.

I didn't see any mention of still needing 50 hours in 12 months at the time of interview, nor did I expect a 5 month (and counting) wait to be called for that interview.

My email states that I have been shortlisted and will be called for interview. If they are no longer interested in me for whatever reason then some email or call to tell me the same is the least I expect, or we could be waiting for a call that will never come. Anything less is just unprofessional.

YYZ_Instructor
7th Mar 2006, 11:12
I agree with Northern HighFlyer!

To be told that the next step is to be called for interview in an e-mail and not be called would not only be unprofessional, but an example of how they view their future pilots. Its a disgrace if this is BA's attitude, a simple phone call to say "sorry but we have filled our requirments for this season" would be appreciated as some people are holding off on other job offers. :yuk:

Cheyenne here i come :ok:

CaptYanknBank
7th Mar 2006, 11:34
Anyone who has other options should go for them.
Getting that first job is vital.

YYZ instructor, i'd go for that Cheyenne, a job's a job, i haven't got one but i was lucky enough to be interviewed.....

I believe they have called up all they are going to call up for now.

I guess everyone who hasn't been called will have to go thru the application again when it restarts, i've heard that's gonna be 01Apr. (Rumour)

Good luck to anyone in the future.

Northern Highflyer
7th Mar 2006, 11:43
I guess everyone who hasn't been called will have to go thru the application again when it restarts, i've heard that's gonna be 01Apr. (Rumour)

If this is true and the same criteria apply then I am now ineligible as I don't have 50 hours in the last 12 months.

From potential employee to a training risk not suitable for interview in 5 months. Amazing ! :hmm:

Then again, if it is true that we wont get an interview after all, and they haven't bothered to tell us, I for one don't want to apply again.

NH

EGCC4284
7th Mar 2006, 19:04
Northern HighFlyer my friend.

Chin up and don't give up.

Don't cut your nose off for spite and when the on line applications re-opens, then apply again if you can get the 50 hours needed by then.

You know what I went through but I will still be re-applying as soon as I can.

The market is picking up and September - December 2006 should be an interesting time I think.

You may want to consider buying a share in an aircraft and trying to fly a couple of hours a month to try and keep the 50 a year requirement. You could try and always take friend flying to help pay for it.

Also make sure you get to the BALPA thing in October.

Make sure you also apply FlyBe 1st April.

Headinclouds
7th Mar 2006, 19:46
To Try and put this discussion to rest, the point I was originally trying to make was not that the requirements were crystal clear, upon application.

They were extremely clear.

The 'Grey Area' was upon recieving the email with, 'Congrats and We will call you soon, but bear with us'. A little footnote saying that a current 50Hrs in 12Months will remain the requirement for the duration of the Selection Process.

This would at least have made an Unclear area Crystal Clear, but more importantly, provided people who had Passed the First Stage with the Chance to 'stay in the Race'.

You live and learn.......:O

Avadoo
8th Mar 2006, 11:18
To further confirm any doubt of those still waiting patiently for interview, - when you get a call for interview it will be followed by an information pack which clearly states ' pre entry requirements must be met at all stages of your application, if you cannot meet these requirements at each stage, your application will not be processed further'. I understood that to mean from the time you first began your application form to starting a type rating if successful !

To be fair the competition is so high, that if you are unable to keep yourself current, the job will probably go to someone who is !:oh:

stanlystansted
13th Mar 2006, 15:33
Ok guys, how many of you out there who have had there e-mail between September and October and still heard nothing? Just curious how many are in the ssame boat :(

leading edge!
13th Mar 2006, 16:33
I'm still waiting, though the goal post move/ requirements has altered things a little. Whats worse is I'm about to travel abroad for 6 weeks (work), hence wont be able to attend the interview anyway! Better get in touch with BA H&R! Best wishes to all of those still in the 'pipeline' LE!

ToneTheWone
13th Mar 2006, 18:29
Received the "you've been successful" e-mail 31st October (I think -it's been so long I can't quite remember) and received nothing since.

Would be nice if anybody out there who's connected to BA Connect could shed any light on what's happening. Either good or bad news would be better than no news.

Here's hoping:ok:

hardcase
13th Mar 2006, 20:55
i got the email on Sept 29th and am still waiting and i got a recommendation :rolleyes:

have heard that the brand name change has slowed things down....so they told me. :bored:

slamaccel
13th Mar 2006, 21:06
Got the e-mail 10 Oct and still waiting!! Modular, Full Time FI, 750hrs. Hopefully we will all get that magic call soon, just got to hang in there!!

Pipe_Dream
14th Mar 2006, 09:10
:rolleyes:
Well it seems obvious from this post that there are quite a few of us still waiting to be called for interview (if we ever do!). Most of us seem to have had the 'email' and then not much else.:zzz:
And the currency issue hasn't helped matters much either!!
I'd say keep BAconnect on the backburner but get applying elsewhere...... :hmm:

The Flying Bok
29th Mar 2006, 20:20
At least we are getting to refine the virtue that is patience! I received my e-mail on the 29th September and am still standing by to speak to the the guy or gal at BACON. I am the wrong side of 35, modular and have just over 230 hours. I believe that all of these factors, and more, go into the mix to form a filter to determine who they would like to interview first.

From the guys I personally know who have received their e-mails after me, and been called for interview before me, they are either younger, (In all cases!) have more hours, or have been through the better "respected" training organisations.

I'd be interested to find out the ages of the guys still waiting, as I have a feeling that most of us are on the older side and that may be the reason we are still waiting.

Good luck guys, hang in there! :ok:

mark twain
30th Mar 2006, 15:07
To defend BA Connect I was interviewed and simmed in September. I have done my groundschool. My course was six people all of varied backgrounds. Only one integrated, all the others modular.

Four people are over 35 years old - two of which were instructors, the other two low hours modular. Person 5 was modular and late 20's, and finally one guy who was integrated, but had done some extra flying - did an FI but has not had to use it.

Based on this it can be clearly seen that no bias is provided based on age, experience or where you trained.

All my course have had a long wait in the hold pool. It is frustrating and annoying, but I have to say well worthwhile when you finally get in. Excellent training and support.

stanlystansted
30th Mar 2006, 15:15
that's great news mark; so why do you think I still haven't been interviewed...?:confused:

Troy McClure
30th Mar 2006, 16:38
Enjoy Paris Mark. Don't drink too much at the end of an easy first day; the pressure ramps up from day 2 on. And watch that sim has a lot of 'slack' in the controls.

Ah, if only they were all like that 1-11........

Say hi to E. M., M. B. and M. R. for me.

T. McC

The Flying Bok
30th Mar 2006, 19:52
Thanks for you post Mark

It is encouraging to hear that a few of the low houred, modular older guys are getting a shot.

Just to be clear, I was not taking a pop at Bacon, merely trying to find an answer as to the fact that some of us who have been contacted by email in September are still waiting for the call to interview, whilst others who received their e-mail's in October have interviewed months ago.

There does not seem to be a consistent correlation between initial e-mail date and the call for interview date.

Anyone have any ideas?

Avadoo
31st Mar 2006, 07:00
Bok,
Give HR a call and find out for yourself, in my experience they will openly speak to you, just make sure you sound positive and not a dreary "why have you not contacted me" sort of attitude. You might try " I was ringing to offer my availability at short notice and fill any cancellation you might have" !!
I did and was offered an interview on the next date in Feb,- similar age to yourself as well!
Also, another plus is at least your still in the running for this batch, you just have to make it happen,--if you want to.

BluffOldSeaDog
31st Mar 2006, 10:28
As a BACon SF/O starting a Dash conversion into the LHS starting in the first week in April I look forward to seeing some wide eyed, fresh faced "noobs". Just don't make me look bad in the sim ;)

RMC
1st Apr 2006, 19:37
Guys,
Been with BA Disconnect for the best part of a decade and have decided (like a lot of my peers) the time is right to move on.
Last year we had 98 pilots (out of 600) leave and this year is likely to be a similar story. One of the main reasons is that a couple of months ago the Company used the ancient management ploy of saying "Make a profit in two years or BA will be rid of us".
There are several reasons why this is not going to be the case...but the tactic has backfired on the company in that a lot of the "lifers" have now decided to leave and not take the chance of being stranded.
In the short term this will reduce the company payroll as Bluff Old Sea Dog and co go to the bottom of the turboprop Capt payscale and a lot of guys at the top end of the scale leave. Unfortunately the company also pays you guys peanuts to start with.
So,in summary, there will be positions coming up.
It is a good first company to work for (from a training quality point of view).
Would endorse what was said about making the last minute phone call. We have a lot of guys take a course and then get into a loco and bail out at the last minute. If your call happens to be just after one of these then its the old right time right place story. Probably not fair but that is the way of things in most places I'm afraid.
Hang in there...once you get the job it will all seem worthwhile (till you become bitter and twisted like so many in the FD forum).:ok:

MrMutra
28th Apr 2006, 10:44
How much truth is there in this rumour i have recently heard, that people in the holding pool are now being told "dont stop applying to other airlines" ? This would be very worrying situation.

If this is true, then i think the on line application form will not be opening for some time.

MRM

:confused:

hardcase
28th Apr 2006, 20:44
MRM
i got the email on 29 Sept and have been waiting since then for interview, recently i was told that there are 20 or so in front of me for interview however if i wasnt interviewed before the online applic form is reopened, that i would have to reapply again.....:{ i wasnt told when it would be reopened but they came across that recruitment will continue to be ongoing,fingers crossed

MrMutra
29th Apr 2006, 18:28
Thanks Hardcase,

Hope you get the interview soon, and i'm ever hopefull that they do continue to recruit, so ill keep an eye on the online application opening.

MrM

cheesycol
30th Apr 2006, 18:14
MrMutra,

I don't think you should ever stop applying for other airlines even if you are in a holding pool - nothing is certain whilst in a holding pool. Your chances of a job are greatly increased the more hold pools you can find yourself in!

moku
3rd May 2006, 11:59
Just over a 18 months ago when I was still in the Hold Pool they also said the same thing to us. They have been saying to swimmers for a while. Friend who is swimming at the moment has also been told the same in the past few moths. So I doubt it is too much to be worried about. In the mean time why place all your eggs in one basket?

M.

BIGBAD
3rd May 2006, 19:10
hmmm placing all your eggs in one basket ?!

could be case of eggs & bacon before you know it !!:yuk: :yuk: