PDA

View Full Version : China Eastern Go-Arounds YSSY

regitaekilthgiwt
2nd Mar 2006, 03:42
Anyone have any news as to why the China Eastern A340 had to go around twice at Sydney this morning just before 10? Was watching and it seemed the second time was due to Aerolineas Argentinas took to long on the runway. Also watching the China Eastern's approaches, they looked strange for the prevailing conditions. Guess he might have been quite low on gas had a 3rd go-around transpired? 3 x 12ish minute circuits?! :uhoh:

distracted cockroach
3rd Mar 2006, 05:04
Wasn't there so don't know, but a pilot instigated go-around is not a bad thing....good on them. Far better to go around and have another go than press on in a bad situation and end up in an embarrasing position (like off the end or side of a runway)One airline I worked for was criticised by the regulator for not having enough go-arounds!
Any airline worth their salt will have a positive attitiude to pilot induced go-arounds.
The second one sounds like it might have been instigated by ATC. Just unfortunate, but again, the safe decision.
As for fuel shortage, probably not, but don't know that particular airline's fuel policy.

chief wiggum
3rd Mar 2006, 07:56
MAYBE it had something to do with ILS U/S ? I do not know for sure!

has been funny to see in the past, airliners not realise till too late, that there is no glideslope... hence a 777 or A340 "dive bombing" the threshold.

jj232
4th Mar 2006, 01:27
I heard from mates who were working that the tower had lined another aircraft up twice causing the go-arounds. After the second time the pilot told ATC that the passengers were getting scared and he was low on fuel, third time lucky!!!!

blueloo
4th Mar 2006, 05:22
Its funny, whilst QF has an open go-around policy on line, in the simulator, if you do a go-around you get marked down significantly!
Surely this is negative training......

Capt Fathom
4th Mar 2006, 09:00
...whilst QF has an open go-around policy on line, in the simulator, if you do a go-around you get marked down significantly!
Maybe it's just your technique blueloo ?? :uhoh:

Keg
4th Mar 2006, 10:27
..., in the simulator, if you do a go-around you get marked down significantly!

It depends on 'why' the go around was made as well as 'when' and 'how'!

I do agree about a perceived inconsistency. On the surface, it appears you aren't allowed to make a mistake on the sim, recover from it without breaking any limits, rules and regs, and then come back around for a perfect approach and get high marks.