PDA

View Full Version : PPL advice

scientifics
2nd Mar 2006, 02:37
I'm about to start my PPL (soon) and was wondering if people would like to share there thoughts and feelings on their experiences whilst doing a PPL. Any tips etc?

FL050
2nd Mar 2006, 03:52
Personally, I didn't enjoy mine too much. Seems I did a lot of stalls, slow flight, and landings. It was just too easy for me and got kinda boring. Now that I finished PPL and am 1 more flight from taking my Instrument checkride, I loved Instrument. Gotta start somewhere, and enjoy it while you can.

Gargleblaster
2nd Mar 2006, 09:28
Fly as often as you can, minimum once a week. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time re-learning stuff.

Prepare for each lesson and memorize the procedures that are going to be trained.

Use a flight simulator to train the procedures that can be trained in a FS, e.g. VOR radial interception and tracking, getting lost and figuring out where you are through 2 VORs, NDB / ADF stuff (don't know if this is PPL stuff in the UK).

I did this and saved a lot of time and frustration. Didn't have to repeat a single lesson.

phnuff
2nd Mar 2006, 11:54
"Fly as often as you can, minimum once a week. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time re-learning stuff."

I agree with that 100%

Prepare for each lesson and memorize the procedures that are going to be trained

Add to that go over each one in your mind afterwards

I would also add.
1) While it is good to keep the number of instructors involved down (I had a total of 5 different during my 43 hrs) , it never hurts to get another guys opinion

2) Try to make sure you get an instructor that you get on with. They are professional and shouldn't let personal issues cloud their judgement, however there is nothing worse than being taught by someone who winds you up

3) Try to find out what the next lesson involves and study it in advance

Just one further thing. I turned up to a lesson when I was not feeling 100% (little sleep and a slight feeling of sickness). That was baaad news as what I didn't know was that we were going to do slow flight & stalling. I didn't chuck up, but did feel really bad. I still remember it every time I do a check and have to do stalls now (x years later)

pilotho
2nd Mar 2006, 14:03
when i was first learning, i found the landing very much the hardest. you can flare too early or too late! the only problem i was having was that i stare at the runway coming towards me and hence cant judge the height correctly. so always look at the far end of the runway to judge height.

also, the plane will land itself so always keep it flying, end of the day, the plane has been designed to fly!

also dont use the instruments to fly!!

Fuji Abound
2nd Mar 2006, 14:45
Get the medical out the way as soon as possible - you never know there might just be issues,

then get the exams done, other than the weather it is the surest way to find they are holding you up from completing your training,

Talk to as many pilots at your intended airfield as you can to establish the best training organisation to use,

Never pay them for the whole cost of the course however attractive the package may seem,

Make sure you have set sufficient time aside allowing a lot for lessons cancelled due to weather to ensure as others have said you do not have to keep relearning the same material,

Add Avgas and enjoy!

scientifics
2nd Mar 2006, 21:15
Cheers I will bear all this in mind

alexflynn86
2nd Mar 2006, 22:56
I'd say keep a good ear on the radio! I'm still a student and made my first scary mistake today... I misheard the QFE, first solo nav too... Made me rather low, took me a few ticks to realise something was up...! Managed to tidy it all up, but not a nice experience!

Aunt Mabel
3rd Mar 2006, 15:15
Get airlaw exam out of they way asap. After 10 hours I was ready for my solo but had to complete law exam first. Now the winter weather has caused further delays and I'm losing motivation.