PDA

View Full Version : JAA licensing Conversions

Jetstream77
1st Mar 2006, 23:09
Hi All,

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has gone through the process of converting and Australian ATPL(A) into a JAA one ...... the most obvious channel being via the UK CAA, though experience with other states would be of interest as well.

If anyone has done this without leaving Aussie shores that would be a bonus.

I am only interested from a short term contract perspective with a view to
B737 or B757/767 operations.

Thanks guys.

Aussie
2nd Mar 2006, 00:13
Speak to West Australia Aviation College...

Located in perth. You can convert your license through them.

Aussie

Non Normal
2nd Mar 2006, 01:26
If anyone has done this without leaving Aussie shores that would be a bonus.

Can't be done, as far as I know - there is nowhere in Australia where you can do a JAR instrument rating. You can do a CPL skill test (or whatever they call it nowadays) and theory in Australia, but not IR.

Mr. Hat
2nd Mar 2006, 08:34
Ask Redsnail mate - she is the expert on this. Better still do a search.

UnderneathTheRadar
3rd Mar 2006, 07:15
The other pre-requisite is a JAA medical. I know that CAA (UK) will only do an initial issue via their Gatwick medial centre - I don't know if/how the overseas schools get around this (or they don't need to as most of their students arrive from Europe with the medical in hand).

There is no way of transferring a CASA class 1 to a CAA class 1 either - and JAA requires the full ICAO colourblindness tests which CASA don't.

UTR.

Jet Jockey
4th Mar 2006, 21:36
As far as I know if you have 3000hrs command time on a jet over 30ton MTOW you only have to 2 JAR exams Air Law and Human Factors plus a sim ride on appropriate aircraft . If not all 14 exams need to be done. Expensive and time consuming. Initial issue of a JAR medical can only be done through a couple of places in Europe. Once gained medical can be renewed at select doctors here in oz. It is possible to get a JAR validation on Australian licence to fly for 12months.