PDA

View Full Version : Costs involved with a NPPL

Future Flyer
1st Mar 2006, 19:39
Hiya,

I’m new on here. Well I’ve been reading PPrune with interest for over a year, but it’s only recently that I’ve become a member. I’m currently 16 and in my final year at school – it’s now getting towards the time of year in which GCSEs are beginning to play on my mind but what I have got to look forward to is an extremely long summer holiday. Just under 15 months ago I had a 60min introductory flying lesson from Barton and I became totally sold on the idea of getting a PPL and maybe even looking at flying as a career. Since then I’ve done my work experience at Barton and had another short flight which has further wet my appetite. What I was really wondering, taking all things into account i.e rising fuel prices, what would I realistically be looking at paying for a NPPL. Would I be correct in saying that £5000 would a likely amount? Also, is it a flat rate, or is there a lot of variation in prices between different flying schools and is there much difference in the quality of tuition offered. I’m assuming that every school must be of an acceptable standard and there are no real “poor” schools. Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks John

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 19:50
You're probably best asking in the private flying forum, however,
The NPPL course is a minimum of 32 Hours training, as opposed to the JAR PPL which is a minimum of 45hrs, the medical requirements for an NPPL are also less, so you won't need a CAA Class 2 medical. Bear in mind if you are thinking of going further at a later date you will need a Class 1 medical for commerical licences. The NPPL is also only valid in the UK, so you won't be taking any mates on a booze run to france with it! I'm not sure if LAC at Barton offer the NPPL, Sherburn Aero Club near Leeds offer the NPPL as do one of the schools at Sheffield.
Hope this helps, and enjoy it!

Send Clowns
1st Mar 2006, 19:52
And it is not valid as the first module of the CPL course, not being an ICAO-compliant PPL. If you are thinking of going further then don't go for an NPPL.

Future Flyer
1st Mar 2006, 20:10
Thanks for the quick answers. Is it not possible to 'upgrade' the NPPL to a full PPL after a while.

Send Clowns
1st Mar 2006, 20:15
It is, but you don't get full credit, at least that used to be the case. I suspect if you went back to the same school they might just extend your training, and I can't see how that would be a problem, but officially you can't use all the hours for credit.

Future Flyer
1st Mar 2006, 20:27
Apart from the difference in medicals, what are the other main differences between the 2 PPLs. Would i be right in saying just a more detailed course?

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 21:00
Full details of the NPPL syllabus can be found here:
http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/nppl_syl.pdf
States medical requirements, training hours etc
With an NPPL you are also limited to the number of passengers you can take.
You cannot add a night qualification or an IMC rating to it.
The 7 theory exams are identical.
The skills test will be the same, and the Solo Hours requirement (10hrs) is identical. As is the requirement for a 100 nautical mile cross country solo flight landing at 2 other aerodromes
You basically recieve less instruction. Bear in mind that the 32hrs and 45hrs(JAA PPL) training requirements are MINIMUMS only. Depending on ability and continuity of training you may need substantially more to be ready for test. I was fortunate enough to complete my PPL in 46hrs (due to continuity I might add!!) but the average is nearer 55 (according to a few FTO's)

mcgoo
1st Mar 2006, 21:08
if you have £5000 why not do your ppl in the US for about £3500?

Future Flyer
1st Mar 2006, 21:26
I don't have £5000, i just used that as an estimate for the total costs involved, thanks for the advice about America though, however i don't think i would be ready to up sticks and go there for the time required. I read an article in 'Flyer' a bit ago and it talked about intensive courses in the States that got you a licence in a month. Discounting weather conditions, is there a minimum time that you can get a licence in the UK. For example if i wanted to (which i don't) fly 2 hours a day, every day, in theory would it be possible for me to get a licence in little over 16 days.

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 21:35
As I mentioned before, there are many other factors, aside from the weather, which will contribute!
1. Your ability!!
2. Your Instructor/Student relationship
3. Aircraft unserviceabilities, to name but a few.
16 days is very optimistic! The cross country qualifier mentioned above is a day in itself. 1 Day dual, 1 day solo!
Remember, as this is the Professional wannabes forum, there will be hardly anyone on here with experience of having been trained to NPPL, only the Full PPL. Your best bet is to talk with a school who offer the course, they will be able to supply you with a realistic timeframe. The groundschool may be a minor setback, you will need to pass Air Law before going solo I believe (that may have been a specific flying order to where I trained)

Future Flyer
1st Mar 2006, 21:40
ok, thanks very much for your good help and info!