PDA

View Full Version : Underweight for Class 1

redout
1st Mar 2006, 12:46
Hey,

I have a friend in a situation where the National Caa involved will not issue them with there Class 1 as they say that the person in question is underweight (Female and bmi is like 21). This person in my opinion is by no means anorexic but comes from a family where there seems to be a tendency of being very small physically. I yesterday spoke with the head medical officer of the countries national airline and was told by him that there is nothing in the JAA regulations which states about being underweight. I would appreciate if somebody could offer some advice or suggestions.

Many Thanks

EGBKFLYER
1st Mar 2006, 12:59
Female BMI of 21 is fine - for females <18 is considered underweight by most, so I have no idea what the medics are on about :confused:

Which country are we talking about?

got caught
1st Mar 2006, 13:02
Has your friend asked you to make these enquiries on her behalf. I'm wondering if your getting the full facts ?

redout
1st Mar 2006, 13:15
Sorry about the confusion. I have now spoken with person involved. Weight is 40kg and height is 5ft BMI works out like 17 although i do not know if that is the only thing the doctors are relying on. They have spoke about the person having to do some metabolism tests.

EGBKFLYER
1st Mar 2006, 13:59
By the chart I have, BMI is about 17, which is classed as underweight. While there may be no specific BMI-related part to the medical requirements, low weight could be an indicator to other conditions which may have an effect on the issue of a medical, which is probably why the medics want to investigate further...

fernytickles
2nd Mar 2006, 01:39
If she comes to Wisconsin for a winter, being underweight (or considered as such) will be a thing of the past :ok:

redout
2nd Mar 2006, 19:28
Hi EGBKFLYER,

Thanks for the feedback.

Redout
Redout

niknak
3rd Mar 2006, 12:47
Redout,
if it's any help, the Medical Branch veiw the consequences of "underweight" as seriously as they do "overweight". The 2 problems aren't a million miles apart in the consequences that may occur with the body.

I would respectfully suggest that your friend contacts the Medical Branch to discuss the problem, they are very approachable and proactive, and will do their level best to help with any problem.
In my experience, if they can't make a suggestion to resolve a particular problem, they'll be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Hope that helps.

redout
9th Mar 2006, 09:56
Thanks Niknak. I will put forward your suggestion

Redout