PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Online

tinmouse
1st Feb 2006, 19:34
Hi All,

Being aware of how the Bristol Online Test Questions are a great indicator of how well you may do in the exam, I’ve used it quite a lot. I’m currently using Bristol for my Flight Planning exam. However, I find that it takes more than three hours to do the full 56 questions? And it’s quite hard, (lots of tricky calc questions) Can anyone tell me if the Questions in the exams are as hard as in the Bristol online?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Tinmouse. :)

helicopter-redeye
1st Feb 2006, 22:16
They are the questions ....

plus some others that get added as each month goes by.

I estimated 55% of the Q's in my FP exam last year had been word 4 word in the on-line Q bank when I'd used it over the past few days (plus the devilish new questions that nobody had seen before).

You get more adreneline rush in the exam so get more done faster. 3 hrs in front of a screen has a sleep inducing effect.

h-r;)

tinmouse
2nd Feb 2006, 06:38
Thanks helicopter,

But is there the same intensity of long calculation questions, as in the exams.
I have been told that there are allot of smaller questions, like looking up maps more so than complicated questions...

helicopter-redeye
2nd Feb 2006, 07:17
Attached is the feedback on the November exam I wrote down same evening:-
Flight Planning - Generally appeared harder and more focused on the CAP than the Jepp. Some Qs at 4 marks. One page of 3 Qs carried 10% of the total for the paper!! Any marks for showing your workings?
E Lo 1 - distance and course/ appropriate flight level TALLA ANGUS
E Lo 5 - CHEB - RODING - recall it was a 'appropriate level' question given the E> on the route
ED6 - Distance Freudenstadt - Villingen
ED6 - Immenstadt Fetling - min alt to remain 1000ft clear of highest obst in 5km either side of line corridor
E Hi 2 - ODIN SHILLING appropriate flight level/ bearing
E Hi 2 - ALMA PETER flight level and bearing
E Hi 2 - BACKA BOTTNA distance & flight level
E Hi 2 - Nav facility at LANDVETTER is a ?
Polar High - VIGRA Keflavik bearing
Polar High - if grid track Xdegrees at start what is it at the end of the track? (X being a value I cannot recall)
8 questions on flight plans, usual suspects, answerable from Jepp manual
An Amsterdam SID distance (Arnhem or Andik)
VFR Pages ATSU freq for Aberdeen (10-1V but this is the last place you look)
VFR Pages - start clearance freq at Athinai (Hellinkion) - 121.7MHz
3 PSR/ PEF questions of different degrees of difficulty
2 basic fuel planning calculations
CAP697 - 2.5 endurance graph question
CAP697 - 2 Qs on 4.2.1/2 optimum altitude
CAP697 - 4 or 5 questions focused around the air distance formula as part of all of the question
CAP697 - 3 question on 4.5.1 of varying types
CAP697 4.5.3.1 2 questions

I guess each exam will vary a little depending on the which questions the CAA 'randomly' pick.

Some of the questions (the ones from the Jepp manual on flight plans for instance, you can answer at face value in 10 seconds, although a wise man checks with the pages in the Jepp to be sure).

Same with the VFR section questions. Some of the table and calculation questions have the potential to take up some time if you do not know how to do the calculation or use the table. If you do then they are actually quite simple. QED learn the subject as well as doing the feedback Qs

Pete Swatton at GTS concludes the flight planning section of the GTS course with the advice that this paper is won or lost in the planning. Take a few minutes to go through the paper first; pick out the charts you need; see where the marks are; plan the time you need for each section then start with the easy ones (using the Jepp to XREF what you know); do all the Qs on one chart first; then move on to the next; leave time for the table and multi mark calculation questions. In the November exam, one could pass or fail on one page of three multi mark questions ...:eek:

tinmouse
3rd Feb 2006, 14:18
Thanks for taking the time, that really helps!
Good luck with the rest of your exams!

Cheers
Tinmouse.

Kanu
3rd Feb 2006, 16:27
tinmouse,

Don't forget that the bristol online fires out 56 random questions which, if you're unlucky, could all be time consuming chart or graph work. A good trick for the exam is to do all the chart questions first and get them out of the way (a list of all the chart questions will be printed on the front cover of your exam paper)

good luck:ok:

EDIT: should really have read HR's post first doh :)

Dotun
3rd Feb 2006, 18:15
Dont worry about it. I had the same problem with Flight Planning. I was spending about 3 hours when I started taking the online tests. After practicing for about 3 weeks (3 times a day), I got it down to 30 mins. In the exam, I spent about a hour, and got 97%. Good luck with the exam, its not a bad exam, once you have done enough practice.

Regards
DMan

rocketboots
1st Mar 2006, 12:40
Just signed up for the online q bank this morning as i have 2 exams left to sit in March, those being Perf and PoF.Doing ok with them but was just wondering how accurate and recent are they in comparrison to the actual exams themselves. Sorry if this q has been done to death before

rocketboots
2nd Mar 2006, 17:18
Er, this isn`t` looking good.:uhoh: :uhoh:

Dude~
2nd Mar 2006, 18:34
In my experience the data bank was invaluable. If you can answer and know how you answered the data bank the exams will be ok. Accuracy was very very good, but there are always going to be the odd mistakes creeping in, and the JAA are always coming up with new and unfathomable questions, but not very many each month.

learboys
2nd Mar 2006, 23:26
Hi
It's worth every penny, without you will have a hard time, learn your work know your work do the questions and you will pass the exams.

Have fun

rocketboots
3rd Mar 2006, 13:51
So would you go as far to say that if i`m passing the exams online that i`ve got a good chance on the day!!.

bolty_1000
3rd Mar 2006, 16:14
if you are answering the questions correctly then yes, i would say so providing you have a grasp of the subject itsself though....be careful not to rely on doing the feedback as your only revision as the last batch of exams had a lot of new questions there were not in any of the feedback!!