PDA

View Full Version : Kids steal plane in California

rotornut
1st Mar 2006, 11:18
US boys 'steal plane to run away'

Two teenage boys came down to earth with a bump after apparently stealing a plane to run away from home - and then crash-landing in a California desert.
Police said one of the 14-year-olds stole the keys to the single-engined plane from his father, and the pair then took off from Big Bear Airport.

But the boys are thought to have run out of fuel soon after, forcing them to come down in Joshua Tree National Park.

They escaped with minor injuries but were arrested on suspicion of theft.

'Erratic' flying

The pair, from Big Bear Lake, are thought to have been heading for Mexico when they crashed.

They were found in the desert by park rangers, who said they were lucky not to have done serious damage to themselves or the plane.

The alarm was raised after two local pilots spotted the Mooney M20C aircraft taking off in an erratic manner and called the police.

Police believe the boy who piloted the plane had learned the rudiments of flying by watching his father in the cockpit.

Cindy Beavers, spokeswoman for San Bernardino county sheriff's department, said the teenagers had been arrested on suspicion of stealing a plane and burglary, for entering the hangar without permission.

"There was a disagreement between the boys and their parents and [the boys] decided to run away," she told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

In California, teenagers can gain a student pilot's certificate aged 16.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4762260.stm

Hellenic aviator
1st Mar 2006, 12:16
Ahhhh *BIG SIGH* to be young 'n' insane....:O
They are lucky they didn't turn themselves into human tent pegs.

potkettleblack
1st Mar 2006, 12:28
They did well to get the thing in the air from Big Bear! Flew in on a check out once and it is scary on a hot day watching the runway disappear fast and the lake looming. Climb rates are atrocious with mountains in the vicinity to skirt your way through before you get back to the safety of the LA basin.

WHBM
1st Mar 2006, 12:39
Police believe the boy who piloted the plane had learned the rudiments of flying by watching his father in the cockpit.
As it was his father's plane, I suspect that some unofficial instruction had been given to the 14-year old.

Taking off was one thing. Handling a glide approach after running out of fuel and walking away from a forced landing was, as I think we all know, not something you learn by watching.

Pity poor old Dad and his interview with the FAA !

Genghis the Engineer
1st Mar 2006, 14:31
I'll bet that was a doddle compared to his interview with Mum.

G

Newforest
1st Mar 2006, 14:37
They did well to get the thing in the air from Big Bear! Flew in on a check out once and it is scary on a hot day watching the runway disappear fast and the lake looming. Climb rates are atrocious with mountains in the vicinity to skirt your way through before you get back to the safety of the LA basin.

Just a reminder it is winter now in Big Bear and they had a big dump of rain/snow over the weekend. However your point about density altitude is well made as they average about three crashes per year due to this problem. Those $100 hamburgers get pretty expensive.

Fuji Abound
1st Mar 2006, 14:44
It gives a new meaning to Dad telling you:-

"You are grounded" :}

West Coast
2nd Mar 2006, 03:46
"In California, teenagers can gain a student pilot's certificate aged 16"

Same in all the states as its regulated federally.

7gcbc
2nd Mar 2006, 04:06
I'll bet that was a doddle compared to his interview with Mum.
G :uhoh:

could not agree more :O

Julian
2nd Mar 2006, 08:41
I have done the 'Big Bear checkout' for the FBO I use, was chatting to one of the locals in the cafe whilst waiting for my mate who was going through his T n Gs. He claimed they lost on average 3 aircraft a year in the trees at the bottom of the runway.

There is a big difference in the way the aircraft performs and it seems to catch a few people out! He obviously had a rough idea what he was doing to get it off the ground.....

stillin1
2nd Mar 2006, 09:53
"Cindy Beavers, spokeswoman for San Bernardino county sheriff's department"
Some times you have just got to hate yer parents!:uhoh:

CPilotUK
2nd Mar 2006, 14:17

As it was his father's plane, I suspect that some unofficial instruction had been given to the 14-year old.

On top of that, it is also possible that he has gained a lot of hours with Microsoft Flight Simulator.