PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Falke motorglider banned from spinning??

John001
28th Feb 2006, 23:32
Hi all,

I'm a syndicate member in a 1972 Scheibe 'Falke' motorglider.
A placard in the cockpit reads "SPINNING PROHIBITED".

Naturally I have no intention of spinning it but was intrigued to learn that the Falke used to be spun routinely in days gone by.
Does anyone know why this has subsequently been disallowed??

I understand that there has been an accident/s which resulted in the rudder separating from the fin thus making recovery impossible.
Can anyone offer anything more substantive on this matter?

regards

John.

ChampChump
1st Mar 2006, 08:14
I can't answer the question but can confirm spinning in Falkes wasn't an abnormal activity in the past.
I could offer a few guesses - but they'd be the same you'd come up with, I expect. With more time I might be able to dig out more factual speculation :hmm: but it'll have to wait while I go to earn some Avgas (too long for too little :{ ).
Wonderful machines, much under-rated, mine sadly missed.
Have fun
CC

OpenCirrus619
1st Mar 2006, 09:57
This might be an "Urban Myth" but I was told that the Slingsby T61, as supplied to the RAF, is cleared for spinning but the very similar Falke built machine is not.

OC619

Firkin L
1st Mar 2006, 17:39
I've got an F model and that is cleared for spinning as per the CofA document which lists all operating limitations; suggest you have a look at yours. Not aware of restrictions on earlier Slingsby or Scheibe models.

Woodenwonder
5th Mar 2006, 12:55
Probable reason is that the importer/agent wasn't prepared to pay for the CAA test pilot to spend hours clearing the spin.
To this day, I fear they don't accept another major aviation country's clearances - perhaps EASA won't be such a bad thing - all will have to be accepted!