PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Testing

hoobs
28th Feb 2006, 14:25
hello,
I am looking for a bit of help with regards to aptitude test scores and the pass marks across three forces. I went to Cranwell in the Summer and took the aptitude test for the RAF. All was passed except the pilot section which I failed by 4 marks (I think the score for that particular section was 110). Does anyone know the pass marks for Pilot for the Navy or Army? Any heads up on how to nail this test second time aound would be appreciated too!
Thank you

Aerospace101
28th Feb 2006, 17:36
Pass is around 112 i think for RAF?

However if you stand any chance of being 'competitive' you need to have it above 130

Its out of 180

Tips to improve; do lots of flying - invest in a ppl?; or get a flight simulator & joystick to practice the hand eye coord.

UberPilot
28th Feb 2006, 18:39
I believe that the RN pass mark for Pilot is the same as that required by the RAF - with a similar caveat regarding competiveness. Indeed, to even be invited to the AIB to compete for an aircrew slot a competitive pass is required in both the Pilot and observe batteries (see numeous theads on RN aptitude tests by people 'just' failing the Obs test)

The pass required to be considered for by the AAC is, however, 90 (same as UAS entry?) I believe. This is as all potential officers selected by the AAC undertake flying grading prior to being offered a commission in the regiment. It is argued that grading offers a better view of potential to make wings as opposed to aptitude tests.

Having sat the tests twice myself, I can say that there will be a certain all over increase in score or around 10% just by virtue of the tests no longer being 'new' to the mind. The Pilot battery is perhaps the hardest to 'train' for as this comprises the most inate of all the skills being tested for. The others, given a good period of maths; physics; orientation study, are relatively simple to prepare for.