PDA

View Full Version : Resettlement Courses

station workshops
28th Feb 2006, 12:06
Cripes, I got £5,000 for a business studies and law course!

The source of the story below? 'Financial Mail Women's Forum, Women in Business.'

I particularly like the last para.

Let the banter begin.

SW

"WHEN Stephanie Hulme decided to leave the Royal Air Force after five years’ service, she knew exactly what career to pursue. So the senior aircraftwoman obtained a grant from the Ministry of Defence to fund her training as a pole dancer.

She was flown from her base in Northern Ireland and stayed at a London hotel to take the lessons over four weekends. She now performs at a London club called For Your Eyes Only under her stage name Kitty, and earns up to £500 a night.
Under MoD regulations, officers must provide retraining for servicemen and women leaving the forces after five years’ service.
Ms Hulme, 23, said: “I got the idea after a bit of banter with one of my mates and when I decided to leave I started looking into what it involved.
“I found out about the course and rang up a few clubs and asked what it was all about. Then one of my friends said I should ask the MoD to pay for the training. It hadn’t occurred to me that they might pay, but I just filled in the paperwork and sent it off.”
A spokesman for the MoD said: “If a service personnel has served at least five years and is leaving for any legitimate reason other than medical grounds they are entitled to a maximum of £534 towards the cost of training taken within the last two years of their service. There is no exception to resettlement training as long as it is lawful and pole dancing is obviously lawful.”
Ms Hulme left the RAF in March but spent February — while she was still officially serving the country — pole dancing dressed in a bikini.
She believes that the RAF’s male-dominated culture meant that pole dancing was accepted as a normal profession for her to choose. “You don’t get much privacy in the RAF. After taking a shower it wouldn’t be uncommon to emerge in a towel and walk down the corridor past a group of men. You’d get a bit of banter but that’s what the RAF is like. It means the notion of getting naked doesn’t bother me in the slightest.” Born at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus, Ms Hulme grew up in a Norfolk village with her father, who retrained as a policeman when he left the RAF. At 17, she dropped out of sixth-form college where she was studying four A levels.
Her father was pleased when she joined the RAF. She admitted that she had not yet told him about her new job. “He knew I did the course but I’ve just been telling him I work in a bar, which is true up to a point.” Ms Hulme still mixes with members of the Forces. “There are plenty of servicemen in the club. In the past two months I’ve done dances for a former Sea Lord of the Admiralty, an ex-group captain and a station commander. They pay much better.”

johno617tonka
28th Feb 2006, 12:46
brilliant..... hope she will set a trend... wonder if she will ever do a show back on base ( seen as the CO appears to be a mate! ) could see the rugby club after work on a friday being very popular!!!:p

Talking Radalt
1st Mar 2006, 06:29
but spent February — while she was still officially serving the country — pole dancing dressed in a bikini.
<sigh>:) Lot22.......The spirit lives on. :E :ok:

Tigs2
1st Mar 2006, 12:47
It would be so good for morale of the troops if we had kept her in to do this. Think of all the dets that would love some poledancers. Trade Group 69 perhaps!:=

maxburner
1st Mar 2006, 14:13
Does anyone know if the pole is still there in the Goose at Mount Pleasant?

station workshops
1st Mar 2006, 14:29
http://www.fmwf.com/images/2005-05-15-stephaniehulme-200.jpg

23 year old SACW Hulme (gorgeous, pouting, on the right) meets the Lord Mayor of Belfast, presumably whilst servign at Aldergrove.

Colonel Bob "Bosnia Bob" Stewart, the respected former commander of British UN troops in Bosnia, on being told about Stephanie's career choice, said: 'This is excellent news. I hope we'll get more recruits able to take up such a profession. When my company was in County Tyrone in 1983, the Ministry of Defence paid for two strippers to come and entertain us. And they took all their clothes off.'

Ms Hulme, now known on duty as Kitty, allegedly earns up to £2000 a night at For Your Eyes Only in Mayfair.

BellEndBob
1st Mar 2006, 15:21
When I left I could only get a job cleaning Gents toilets in London. Still met a Sea Lord, a couple of Gp Captains and a Brigadier though.:E

neilmac
1st Mar 2006, 15:46
SW you have a PM