PDA

View Full Version : PILOT WITH APTITUDE

Ringway004
28th Feb 2006, 09:30
Well since I've got an aptitude test coming up I just thought I might as well get the new pilapt test software, and boy it's so cool. It's a gret way I reckon to improve ur performance, I think the most difficult is the cross hair excercise, n I'l need a pair of rudder pedals to complete the set up.:cool: anyone else out there have something similair? let us know u wot u think.

just_go_to
28th Feb 2006, 10:22
Ringway,

I used the software too but I think I used it too much! Don't rely on it, it actually made my tests harder!

With the cross-hair tests the joystick orientation was the opposite to what I'd practised on at home. That really screwed me up and put me under unneccesary pressure. I wish I hadn't bothered.

As regards rudder pedals - it depends which school you are going for tests. OAT use them, Cabair don't.

Over preperation is a bad thing!

JGT.

Ringway004
28th Feb 2006, 12:19
Ay I think ur right there,

I'v been havin trouble with lately. For one thing the instructions arn't clear:confused: , and I'm sure they cabair don't use all them tests,
I'm alright with shapes but the numbers I don't get, it says calculate the difference between two numbers then remember difference when the number changes?:ugh:

A320rider
28th Feb 2006, 12:27
where can I get this crosshair software, download link?

just_go_to
28th Feb 2006, 12:52
The numbers one took me a long time to figure out. Their instructions are not any good. I'll have a go at explaining.

a 3 digit number will be read out one digit at a time (e.g. 7...5....6)

then another three digit number will be read out (e.g. 7...5...3)

then another (e.g. 7...5...0)

then another (e.g. 7...4...5)

What you have to do is notice when the difference between the numbers changes. The difference between 756 and 753 is 3. The difference between 753 and 750 is 3. The difference between 750 and 745 is 5. The difference has changed. This is when you hit whatever button it is that you need to hit. Then you need to remember that the next difference should be 5.

Simple! :=

Cabair's tests are similar but different. The hardest test is harder than the hardest on the programme you are using.

OATs tests are completely different.

Eddie_Crane
28th Feb 2006, 12:58
ehmmm .. correct me if I'm wrong .. but i thought PILAPT s/w is only useful to those with little to no flying experience? Why would someone who already holds a CPL/IR want to use it?!? :confused:

Superpilot
28th Feb 2006, 13:12
PILAPT Prep is also a good one. Search for it on Yahoo.

Ringway004
28th Feb 2006, 13:19
:D sorted, now it makes more sense, I wondered why it was abit wierd. I think I'l leave the rest of the tests to cabair since they sound fair solid

Ringway004
28th Feb 2006, 13:25
I bought the software from cockpit web for 50squids. I'l have to email you the link.

Ringway004
28th Feb 2006, 13:32
just one more thing about the physics GCSE, I was given a list of topics to revise and one of them was vectors, adding vector and the wind triangle:confused: from what I've seen the wind triangle is used in flight planning n calculating wind, ground speed etc why would it be on a GCSE syllabus? if it is im sure it wont be as hard as that.

Boingy
28th Feb 2006, 13:41
What you've described, sounds similar to the Armed Forces Pilot Aptitude Testing. IMHO, aptitude is something you've got or haven't.

I was advised by a recruitment officer that the best preparation was to play video games to keep your hand eye co-ordination up!

How pertinent this is to Cabair/OAT I don't know, haven't done those.

AlexC
2nd Mar 2006, 10:20
from what I've seen the wind triangle is used in flight planning n calculating wind, ground speed etc why would it be on a GCSE syllabus? if it is im sure it wont be as hard as that.
The nice thing about physics is that its all based on nice simple rules. The vector triangle is one of these, its dead simple, but very powerful, and teaches you implicitly some important rules about how forces work.
As for Assessment, i went to the OAT session and (despite my physics degree) only managed 6/10.. so rather than doing too much revision, i'd just be sure to read the questions carefully ;)
best of luck!
-AlexC
kind of a physicist, wannabe pilot

Ringway004
2nd Mar 2006, 10:43
I guess it's more of a common sense when reading and understanding the questions, I tried some sample questions on cabair's website and discovered that most of the questions were flavoured with 'red herring' details to cause distraction when in reality it was just a simple calculation like addition or multiplication. I think there's more focus on the forces and motion area of physics then on any other aspect. So what exactly do examine on the wind triangle question?

AlexC
2nd Mar 2006, 10:54
So what exactly do examine on the wind triangle question?

sorry, im not really sure what you mean? i'll have a stab at answering; what questions you might be asked?

certainly in the pilapt thing i did, there was no calculators or protractors, so you didnt need to work anything out (other than the basics as u mentioned).. there was a question about basic trig, relating to triangles, SOH CAH TOA (or whatever mnemonic). i think thats all they're likely to want to know from you (again, based on what i've seen). i dont even think you need to know stuff like sin(60)=1/root(2).

the only important thing with force triangles is that forces at right angles to each other are independant..

so a plane flying north, with a wind blowing east, will still travel as far in the north direction as it would have without the wind, only now there is an extra easterly componant too, so its total distance traveled will be greater, but it will end up east of its intended location.. if the pilot had wanted to travel due north, he would have to correct and fly into the wind to make up for it
(thats the gist, it wouldnt be exactly true in real life cos of nasty things like air resistance)

-AlexC
sort of a physicist, wannabe pilot

iamtheone
3rd Mar 2006, 08:43
I think having software to practice these PILAT tests is only going to be detremental to your performance on the day at the CTC/OAT/Cabair test centre. You obviously get a series of tests, most of which are repeated three times. They are repeated to show you can "learn and improove". If you have any flying aptitude whatsoever and you have not practiced these tests you will probably get a crap score first time round - due to, for instance, the reverse effect of joystick inputs when holding crosshairs in the centre of a screen (one of the tests). But when you come to the repeats, your score will have hopefully improoved, because you have aptitude... much more than it would do if you know the tests. I think that if you get too good at these tests, you are spoiling the "learning process" that the testers want to see. This will show that you have not learnt but actually regressed if you do worse on the repeats. When the computer sorts out the results in this case, it will see that you have not got some of the required aptitude, when you possibly could have. Unless you can get 10/10 on everything!

To conclude, i do think that people are best to just go in there and give the pilapt tests a good crack and enjoy it without over preparation - ie buying this pilapt practice software! Let them take you by surprise on the day because they are just a good load of fun. Cheers