PDA

View Full Version : Parafield has writ it's name large

Spodman
28th Feb 2006, 08:26
Was aimlessly panning around the country on Google Earth and spotted this at Parafield which I had not spotted anywhere else. A bit more creative than a name on a roof! Look yourself at 34 47 57.45s 138 38 20.94e. I'm sure the real "F" looks better than this, it looks like a blurry bit between two pikkies.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/spodman/parafield.jpg

aviator's_anonymous
28th Feb 2006, 09:02
would of looked great many years ago flying overhead...but i don't think those trees have been trimmed for quite a while now.....can just barely make it out now i think when u fly overhead.

Jungmeister
28th Feb 2006, 11:41
That photo looks a bit old and there is no kink.
The tree plantings were done about twenty years ago by Dept of Transport groundstaff. I believe it was an attempt to provide a visual guide to aircraft arriving from the east in case they missed PF and spotted EDN which is only a few miles away.
It was never published officially and I have no idea how succesful it has been. Controllers used to occasionally refer to it when giving advice to strangers arriving, but not often! People don't seem to get lost so much these days due to GPS and I believe that PF now has a RADAR feed.
Last I heard before I pulled the pin was that PAL (read AAL) the Airport owners, were planning to rip out the trees and lease that section of land for more commercial development. :ugh:

tinpis
1st Mar 2006, 04:56
Thread drift....
Is the aero club bar still in the art deco departure lounge under the old tower???

Chadzat
1st Mar 2006, 05:15
As far as I know tinpis- Yes.

Jungmeister
1st Mar 2006, 07:27
Thread drift....
Is the aero club bar still in the art deco departure lounge under the old tower???
Afraid not! In fact the "aero club" hasn't been there for decades. The RACSA went broke back in the eighties (last century). I sank many a beer there over the years. :D
The licenced bar was taken over by a private concern in the late nineties and it was kept going until about 2002, incorporating a snack bar with a very smelly deep fryer.
The "Art Deco" building has been kept in good repair and parts of it are leased. Last time I looked the "bar" was empty. (It was originally the departure lounge for ANA and Guinea Airways)
The Piper/Parafield Flying Club kept an intermittent volunteer bar going in their own building near the Northern Entrance until a couple of years ago, but I believe that is now derelict also.
There is a pub called the Roullette Bar on Kings Road that is virtually on the field. I have never been there, but some say it is OK.

tinpis
1st Mar 2006, 17:21
Afraid not! In fact the "aero club" hasn't been there for decades.
Thanks for that jungmeister ...nothing in this world gets better does it?http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cry.gif