PDA

View Full Version : BAA Visitors Centre

igb56
27th Feb 2006, 19:48
Intend to travel to LHR on day on National Express coach to visit BAA Visitors Centre. How do I get there (by bus, I assume) from LHR Central Bus Station? Your guidance appreciated.

howflytrg
27th Feb 2006, 19:52
There is a bus link from the Central bus station (visited in summer). Can't remeber the number but the lovely guys and girls at the Airport Info Desks put me in the right direction!. :ok:

ALLDAYDELI
28th Feb 2006, 08:12
Buses 555,556,557,111,140,105 from LHR Central Bus Station upto the Bath Road. Get off by McDonalds & big hotels and cross the road to the v.centre. These buses are free within the airport area.

BAe 146-100
2nd Mar 2006, 21:56
I wouldn't bother, its a bit of a waste of time to be honest. Not much there and many of the displays inside are broken/damaged.

BAe 146

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Mar 2006, 06:49
If you mean that place on the north side among the hotels, it wouldn't be worth your journey. There are probably pictures and other displays in there but you'll probably not see many aeroplanes. It's a very low building and, although I've not been in it, I cannot see how you could view over the fence which is between the building and the airfield.

I don't know what to suggest as BAA have shut all "official" viewing areas due to "security paranoia". Local spotters know where to go to get good views, but it means driving round to half a dozen different areas.

If you are going to the central area by train you could go to the top of one of the car parks for views over the airfield. However, expect to be moved on fairly quickly.

If you just want to see aircraft send me a PM and I'll tell you some spots where you can watch landers and get good piccies...

Groundloop
6th Mar 2006, 07:30
The viewing area and cafe on the top floor is easily high enough to see over the fence. However for photography it is pathetic - always behind glass and into the sun ALL day.