PDA

View Full Version : Corporate flying versus Airlines

PeterDublin
27th Feb 2006, 09:18
Is any easier to get into corporate flying than airlines?
Myself being little old for flying age 38 working on my ppl , thinking maybe I have better shot getting into small jets than dreaming about airline industry.
Thanks a lot for any insight
Peter

night mission
27th Feb 2006, 09:52
Can't speak for Europe, but in the USA, the the prevailing opinion is you need to network your arse off to get into corp aviation. Would suggest becoming very friendly around your local airport and show lots of interest and questions to local and transit pilots on the ramp. Good luck!:ok:

By the way, the same goes for getting airline jobs.

PeterDublin
27th Feb 2006, 10:00
That is true, I spent few years in the states and I know a chief mechanic in one corporate place, one guy became friend with him and soon got a job starting on a beechcraft and later to a learjet, the guy had very few hours maybe 100 or less, but he knew a right person

MorningGlory
27th Feb 2006, 10:02
Not too old for the airlines at all! The Lo-co's would be more than happy to put you in the right hand seat of an A319 or B737 as long as you tick all the right boxes..

3 yrs to command in a lo-co, so you could be a capt say at 43, hardly seems too old now does it?

:ok:

night mission
27th Feb 2006, 10:09
Thats pretty scary!:eek:

potatowings
27th Feb 2006, 13:02
Hi Peter,

Just thought I'd say that as a Corporate pilot it can be a difficult side of the industry to get into, but exceptionally rewarding and I certainly find it far more attractive than scheduled airline, having done that aswell.

When I was training, no one ever told me the route that I'd have to take to get mayself into a jet of any sort and it was certainly a hard road to walk and sometimes crawl, but well worth it.

I do see people of your age getting into corporate and 'traditional' airlines however you will have to work harder than your younger counterparts but have 20 years of flying ahead of you.

As far as flying the "small" jets as opposed to the larger jets is concerned. When I'm sat at 47,000' looking down on the 747's, 777's, A330/340's etc, I know why I do what I do. Epecially when I get 3 days downroute to relax whilst my airline counterparts are banging out 4 - 6 sectors per day on less money.

The decision to take that leap to CPL is tough, but good luck with it. I know several people who have recently done it so if you're looking for advice, just PM me. :ok:

PeterDublin
28th Feb 2006, 12:48
Thanks for all replies, looks like regardless of the path take road for older guys is more difficult. I will probably try to get into almost anything just to get my foot in a door and take it from there.
Thanks a lot

GusHoneybun
28th Feb 2006, 13:20
In truth it's easier to get into the airlines than corporate work. Simple reason is that there are more jobs going. Note the use of the word easier rather than easy. unfortunatly, It's not easy to get any first job.

Corporate flying is a small industry where word of mouth normally dictates the recruitment. Where as some of the airlines seem to have a rolling recruitment policy.