PDA

View Full Version : crazy cube diagrams

jfromero81
26th Feb 2006, 16:53
http://freespace.virgin.net/at.co/atco/resources/spacialreasoning.htm

In the fourth one, I can't figure out why A couldn't be the answer, it seems it would depend on if you folded it up or down. Perhaps I'm just having a brain malfunction today, but I find these I bit tough. Anyone else having problems with these?

261A
26th Feb 2006, 17:23
If that was on a real NATS paper (which I think it is) then you wouldn't know whether to fold up or down because both are the 'right' answer!? :confused:

Someone_Else
26th Feb 2006, 17:24
Well you can only fold them one way as the design is on one side only, you are looking at the exposed sides folded out, you have to remember that the other side is blank.

If it helps intially to try an get your head round it, draw them out as you see it, then you can fold them they way you want to! It might help!!!

2 sheds
26th Feb 2006, 19:17
If NATS is selecting future controllers on the basis of their ability to answer these, then Heaven help ATC. How about selecting those people who find it just Too Boring.

JustaFew
26th Feb 2006, 19:48
How about selecting people based on their belief that Soduko is Too
Boring as well?
Unfortunately dem is der rools, 2sheds, but people still apply...

Jerricho
26th Feb 2006, 20:08
How about selecting people based on their belief that Soduko is Too
Boring as well?

Me, me, me! I do! I do!

darkhorse1001
26th Feb 2006, 20:18
It doesn't matter which way you fold it! the outcome is the same. Try imagining the material the cube is made of is transparent so the symbols can be seen from the inside and the outside. (probably more confusing to some, but everyone has their own way of looking at these)

also given you have pencil and paper in the NATS tests could you get away with tearing out a rough shape and folding it up to make the cube? there are 20 q's (if memory serves correctly) on each net so it would/could be beneficial given the time constraints.

just a thought.:)

fly bhoy
26th Feb 2006, 20:28
No matter what way I fold it I can only get C to be the answer!!! The only way to make a cube with the shapes on the outside is to fold it down!!

I also think sudoku is boring as well though!!!:}

FB:ok:

Gonzo
26th Feb 2006, 20:30
Obviously sudoku is boring. Maybe that should be part of the interview question set? Apparently NATS have received more applications in 2006 so far than in the whole of 2005. Chucking out those who like sudoku would narrow the field a bit! :E

Friio4
26th Feb 2006, 20:50
Agreed, its very boring. Should be banned from the workplace. Nothing more annoying than people sitting in the corner muttering numbers and rubbing out wrong squares!!:yuk:

Strepsils
26th Feb 2006, 21:04
darkhorse1001 - Doesn't work. If the material was transparent, then A would also be a correct answer because then you could fold up. Treat them as printed card with the shapes on one side only, then you realise that you have to fold down and C has to be correct.:ok:

darkhorse1001
26th Feb 2006, 22:03
you're so right, i stand corrected. maybe this is why i failed :rolleyes:

would still be intrigued to know what would happen if you started constructing 3D models in the test, surely that would show real aptitude;)

Bern Oulli
27th Feb 2006, 15:52
and the relevance of all this to the primary task of preventing aeroplanes from bumping into each other or the scenery is...............:confused:

Kalium Chloride
27th Feb 2006, 17:56
and the relevance of all this to the primary task of preventing aeroplanes from bumping into each other or the scenery is...

Er...the relevance is checking that the brain is able to think in 3-D space rather than simply 2-D. Given that hairyplanes move in 3-D and that ATCOs have to think in 3-D to keep them apart, I'd say this is fairly fundamental, wouldn't you?

JustaFew
27th Feb 2006, 18:19
So why is sudoku, which is 2-D, so popular with people who have to think
in 3-D??:confused:

NudgingSteel
27th Feb 2006, 19:04
So why is sudoku, which is 2-D, so popular with people who have to think
in 3-D??:confused:
Because 2-D is much easier than 3-D, it must feel much easier and hence very relaxing!!!!

Bern Oulli
28th Feb 2006, 07:53
K.C., No. It simply checks that someone is capable of mentally folding (or unfolding) paper cubes. IMHO, having seen lots of "successful" paper folders try their hand at the primary task of ATC, it proves 2/3√bugga all. Some can do the job, some can't. I've yet to see any scientific correlation between the one ability and the other.
If I knew what made essence d'ATC, I would have bottled it years ago and made a fortune.

AlanM
28th Feb 2006, 07:57
and made a fortune

Ahh, but Bern, what would you do with your second £million?!!? :)

(What da yakketty-yakk are you doing nr CLN??)

JustaFew
28th Feb 2006, 10:11
If you're looking for a correlation between ATC and another activity, how
about the game where you move boxes around obstructions in a limited area? Might be tetris, not too sure of the game's name, but this comes fairly close.
Haven't seen it in a 3-D version yet, that would be fun!

Dances with Boffins
28th Feb 2006, 12:05
would still be intrigued to know what would happen if you started constructing 3D models in the test,
well... you'd probably accomplish about two of them in the time allowed. not sure wot the pass mark is, but it is prolly more than two....

Lon More
28th Feb 2006, 22:30
Thank God we didn't have to do that when I applied, otherwise I'd probably have been laid off when Vauxhall closed down the Luton plant.

Only thing I remember from Eurocontrol's selection test in those days was drawing a tree :confused: and a whispered instruction from one of the invigilators (Brian Greenhalgh) to fill the page and plenty detail.