PDA

View Full Version : IR Training Bournemouth

HighLow
26th Feb 2006, 12:55
Hi PPL,
thinking of completing my IR with PTC in Bournemouth.
Can't find any link to their site for some info.
Looking for some resources to check them out

Any info / suggestions?
or recommend elsewhere to do my IR?

thx
HighLow

ivehad2many
26th Feb 2006, 13:25
Started my IR just under 3 weeks ago at BCFT. Now start the aircraft for the final 2 or so. Again the multi IR is damn expencive so check out whee you wanna comit to do it. Im glad i chose where i did :)

HighLow
26th Feb 2006, 13:35
Thanks for the advise
so many different schools in Bournemouth offering IR training
so many bloody different letters!!!
BCFT EAT PTC PAT CABAIR
who owns who? and who is to avoid??

tried to find info on PTC but got to a dud link!!
http://www.pilotcollege.co.uk/

I hear that PTC are associated with EFT in Florida after shutting down their shop down in Shoreham....any comments on PTC?

Regards,
HighLow

Send Clowns
26th Feb 2006, 13:57
Cabair lost their flying approvals, and bought PTC for theirs. PTC's own brand might have disappeared. Don't know of any connection with EFT, who had "EFT UK" in Shoreham until their CFI, Mike Smart, moved to BCFT last year.

Oh, and that would be ETA, Tony Kember ain't edible!

Can't comment on where to go, as I used to work for one and it would seem to be advertising. However I am sur there will be enough posts agreeing with my views :p

portsharbourflyer
26th Feb 2006, 14:34
To clarify the EFT/ PTC conncection. EFT students always use to finish the UK part of the IR with PTC, so effectively PTC were the original UK training partner of EFT.

EFT then started the their own base in Shoreham for the UK part of the IR training; subsequently EFT students were then sent to finish the IR at Shoreham.

When the EFT Shoreham base closed, EFT began to send students back to PTC for IR completion. Actually does anyone know where EFT students are completing the UK phase of the IR, since the Cabair take over of PTC?

Also does anyone know if the Examiner Training Agency has also been sold along side PTC?

Send Clowns
26th Feb 2006, 14:54
I heard not, ports, although I had been out of touch with training in Bournemouth for a while. I think some EFT students came to us with Mike, but am not even certain about that.

Frank Furillo
26th Feb 2006, 15:54
Just to answer Send Clowns question, yes a few ex EFT guys came to BCFT, I was one of them. No complaints got me through my IR with a First Time Pass.

BillieBob
26th Feb 2006, 17:06
Cabair lost their flying approvals, and bought PTC for theirs.Well, that's a pretty concise and comprehensive misrepresentation of the facts, not least because the CAA does not permit the transfer of approvals from one company to another.

I think you will find that what actually happened was simply that the Cabair approvals were suspended when (and because) the Head of Training departed and were re-instated when Cabair found a replacement. Since the replacement had previously been HT of PTC, those approvals were allowed to expire.

HighLow
26th Feb 2006, 17:19
hey ppl
thanks for the responses,
but from reading, I think I'm more confused that before

BCFT and PTC? are they good outfits are not?
its alot of bred to be dishing out,
just dont wanna feed the wrong mouth!

would like opinions on which outfit down in Bournemouth is better than the rest!

thanks
HighLow

Dougle Mcguire
26th Feb 2006, 18:01
Simple answer to your question............. PAT or BCFT. Both are excellent outfits.

HighLow
26th Feb 2006, 18:52
thanks Dougal,

PAT and BCFT

but PTC is that the same school as PAT?

biaeghh
26th Feb 2006, 18:56
PTC/ETA no longer exist as Tony Kember put them into administration early when he joined EPTA.

Despite having an excellent reputation within the industry Tony Kember has left himself down by allowing his seemingly successful organisations go down the pan owing various companies approx 50k. However he is in good company at EPTA as most of their management ran SFT into the ground.

As with a previous poster there are only two FTOs left at Bournemouth with decent reputations, BCFT and PAT.

BIABOY

Sky Wave
26th Feb 2006, 21:39
but PTC is that the same school as PAT?

No, Not the same.

I can recommend PAT, I really enjoyed doing my CPL/IR with them.

SW

Linda Mollison
27th Feb 2006, 07:35
Tony Kember has last week declared both ETA and PTC insolvent having told his creditors on 7th February that he had placed the two companies into administration (although he did not know the name of his administrators!) and therefore he couldn't pay his bills.

I agree with biaeghh's comments.

Say again s l o w l y
27th Feb 2006, 07:55
Just go to PAT. I found them to be excellent (admittedly this was quite a while ago, but I can't imagine they've not got even better over the years.)

Tim_donovan
28th Feb 2006, 07:27
Hopefully that clears things up!
As "Say again s l o w l y" says PAT are an excellent school. I did my CPL and IR 2004.
I would strongly recommend it as the team there are excellent. They never messed me around and only once did an A/C go tech. But I was still in the air later that day.
I went in for a coffee the other day and a friend of mine was doing his MEP and he thinks they are pretty damn good to.
Just watch your sandwiches as Bruno Loves them!
For what it is worth I fly RA390's now and still use some of the crazy phrases that I was taught when flying the Duchess. Even though I have a checklist the length of my arm!!
Happy flying:p

moku
28th Feb 2006, 09:09
I was going to go to PAT to do my IR, but for some unknown reason I ended up doing it with ****. My instructor was excellent, but the school acted more like a weekend flying club than a professional training organisation. Needless to say I WISH I had stuck to my original choice and gone to PAT.

I believe that PAT has the better reputation within the industry.
M.

wangus
27th Sep 2006, 11:29
Considering IR at BCFT. Would like to hear from any MODULAR students who have attended, with intention of PRIVATE messages, and not usual MUDSLINGING which flies around. Has school become just a "business", a little like somewhere else just North of London?

Tuned In
27th Sep 2006, 17:05
What has happened with the ownership? I know someone there, but had not heard.

SinBin
28th Sep 2006, 10:17
They're excellent, good bunch of instructors and always did their best to accommodate me! Go and visit them, they have one of the best 5 screen FNPT2s around for the IR as it is a Duchess fuselage so it really gets you prepared for the real thing.

wannabefemalepilot
20th Nov 2006, 21:02
hello all,

im new to pprune. after browsing i would like to get some first hand advice from you about my choice of commercial flight training.

i am just a month or so off of completing my atpl's and will be looking for somewhere to do my multi/cpl/ir. im thinking bouremouth as its close to home plus its an international airfield but cant decide which school.

does anyone have any advice for me or any first hand experience in bournemouth?

thanks for your help!! :)

Robthestudent
21st Nov 2006, 09:22
Just to add my tuppence worth, I was at PAT a couple of weeks ago and they had acheived four first time passes on the IR in that particular week (out of four IRTs), good to see the standards have not changed.

GgW
21st Nov 2006, 20:54
Would anyone be kind enough to post or pm me a link for '' PAT'' at Bournemouth. I did google PAT and could not find what I was looking for.

Thank you
GgW

BlueRobin
21st Nov 2006, 21:26
http://www.pat.uk.com/

apoball
22nd Nov 2006, 11:10
I completed my IR with PAT on 30th Oct this year, so I'm fairly up-to-date with how things work around there.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

I was very impressed with the whole setup.

APO.
[email protected]

mattd2k
28th Nov 2006, 18:59
Wannabefemalepilot,

If you haven't already chosen one you might want to check out http://www.fly-pft.co.uk .

It is a new school set up by Mike but I can certainly recommend him. I did some of my initial IR training with him and found him to be very knowledgable and professional. I have also used him for simulator assessment training before an airline sim check, which was very helpful.

Hope this helps, if you want any more infor please feel free to PM me.:)

sam34
28th Nov 2006, 19:43
hello everyone!

I saw the price of IR, and it is in general 12000 £ isn't it ? correct me if i am wrong please.
So i wonder if you know lot of students do some extra hours, and how many ?

what is the price of IR in reality ?

I know that is depends of our skills, but do you know lot of friends or people who did some extra hours ?

I haven't got lot of money... :}

2) do you know the price of IR at PAT please ? because on their website, it is written for CPL and IR. Not just for IR...

bad credit
29th Nov 2006, 18:11
Sam34. Try giving PAT a ring. I am sure they would be happy to answer your question. By ringing, you are getting the info first hand. I did my training there in 2004 and dont have a bad word to say. Very friendly....

CCLN
29th Nov 2006, 19:13
Anyone here from PAT or BCFT found a job yet? What is their rep. like for pilots getting into the employ of an airline in a reasonable time-frame?
Also, in terms of personal finances, I'm toying with the idea of factoring in Type Rating costs? From the general concensus, I gather getting a job is ALOT easier via this route....

Request Advisory

CCLN

BlueRobin
29th Nov 2006, 19:25
Most ME-IRs in the UK presently cost about £12000, work on that figure.

There's a long-term ppruner who is an instructor there. Apparently they get good results due to the control the CFI places and strictness on 170A tests. When I visited ChanEx, PAT always seemed to be busy and their aircraft tidy.

Apart from Oxford and CTC acting as employment agents, does any FTO actually push their students? Don't be surprised if you have to do your own leg work!

Sky Wave
29th Nov 2006, 20:25
Neither PAT or BCFT have any arrangements with companies. Have a look at to get an idea of where people end up. A number of us have recently been successful with CTC.

SW

ivehad2many
30th Nov 2006, 11:08
Anyone here from PAT or BCFT found a job yet?

Everything from PPL was completed at BCFT. Started from 14 and now 23..

All training i found A* (hence the reason i stayed!) Pass marks have been excelent and everything 1st passes in flight tests.

As of yesterday i was accepted with FR Aviation flying the falcon 20's and start the type rating with them in January

Personally think that's pretty quick for a job as i completed CPL, Multi, Multi IR, MCC and FIC all this year.

If you wanna know more give me a pm :ok:

mackey
30th Nov 2006, 17:53
Hi all,
I did the ATPL's and the IR at BCFT and haven't got a bad word to say about them.
They were really helpful with all aspects of both the written exams (Wayne Crosby was a god send, he was a really good ATPL resource and friend. Its a shame for all those future ATPL students that he has left. He will be missed :( (gone back to OZ)!) and the IR instructors have the patience of saints (I know!!):ugh: .
Also did the MCC with them and that was really good fun after the torment of the IR.
But now I am to start with Jet 2 on the 757 (already typed) on Monday so really looking forward to that!:ok:
Well done ivehad2many on the start with FR.
M.

CCLN
30th Nov 2006, 19:02
Hi all,
But now I am to start with Jet 2 on the 757 (already typed) on Monday so really looking forward to that!:ok:

M.

Congrats:ok:

When did you finish your training at BCFT? Did you fund your own type?

CCLN

mackey
30th Nov 2006, 21:46
CCLN,

I finished the IR at the end of October 05 and the MCC in November 05, then I did the self-funded 757-200 type rating in Feb-March 06.

So all in all its taken about a year from finishing the MCC with BCFT to getting a job with Jet 2.

Hope this helps.

M.

Malc
30th Nov 2006, 22:25
Anyone here from PAT or BCFT found a job yet?
CCLN
Have a look at this link - http://www.pat.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24 for "where are they now" info.
Really really highly recommended by this very satisfied customer. I still enjoy hearing the "Proflight..." callsign when in the area, and thinking what some poor other b:mad:r is currently going through as part of their training - but they are a top class outfit.

CCLN
30th Nov 2006, 22:55
Cheers for all info. I'll be crossing that bridge sometime next year and, although alot of guys don't recommend it, I may fund my own type. (how I go about choosing which type I'll have to research)

It seems that I'll be better off this way ;)

Cheers!

Sky Wave
1st Dec 2006, 05:10
Have a look at this link - http://www.pat.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24 for "where are they now" info.
Really really highly recommended by this very satisfied customer. I still enjoy hearing the "Proflight..." callsign when in the area, and thinking what some poor other br is currently going through as part of their training - but they are a top class outfit.

oops, I meant for that link to be in my "have a look at ......." sentence. Not sure what happened there.:rolleyes:

Was it deleted by the mods for linking to a commercial site or was I being stupid?

SW