PDA

View Full Version : A 16 year olds dream hanging by a thread..

Captainkarl
25th Feb 2006, 20:24
:{ Hello there fellow aviators

can anyone tell me what binocular myopia is? Is it just Myopia?
As I have recently sent a letter to the CAA regarding me and Class 1's, I know my right eye is -5.25 which is -0.25 dioptres over the inital limit and my left is -4.75 so thats okay. I sent a letter so see if I could get a deviation or restriction, Ive heard been used/said by other pilots on this forum, where inital limits could not be met but who were fine for renews... there reply letter didnt say anything about deviations etc it just said I have binocular myopia which could pose a problem :sad: they want me to get a eye test and a form filled out by my regular optican.

1)what is binocular myopia? Is it just Myopia?
2)Is it possible to visit a CAA optican at Gatwick?
3) Whats an extended othamologist thingy? Is this a eye review/test done by the CAA?
4)Help me please,need comforting as the floor beneath my feet is being taken away!:{

Captain Karl

Pilot Ginj
25th Feb 2006, 21:53
Hey mate dont panic, CAA probably wouldn't offer the possibility deviation before they found out more about your condition anyway. I was in a similar predicament a few years back, eyesight outside the initial limits but within the renewal. They probably want you to get an extended eye exam (form can be downloaded from the CAA website) take this to your local optician who will know what numbers to put in what boxes.

Can't help with the eyesight lingo, but suffice to say i now hold a Class 1 medical despite and well on the way through my training, so things do work out!

Captainkarl
25th Feb 2006, 21:59
:D :D Thanks mate, they sent some form back with the letter so this could be that extended eye exam, as soon as they say Yes or No Im going to go and get my Class 1 just so I can have the safety of the renew limits:D :D

Worst case scenario: they say no, is there ANY way I can do commerical flying ANY where in the world? Or would there be ANY way to get a class 1?

Thanks

CK

PS who are you training with?

Whirlybird
26th Feb 2006, 09:14
Karl,

I'm not an expert on this, but "binocular" just means both eyes, so I think they're just saying that you're shortsighted in both eyes.

As for where else you can get a commerical licence, I know that the medical in the USA is less restrictive, though I don't know any details. I know someone who trained over there, got a couple of thousand hours, and then the CAA gave him a Class 1. So you can do something somewhere. But don't panic; it sounds to me as though if you jump through a few hoops you'll be OK in the UK. But I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will answer your question soon, so be patient. ;)

Whirly

Captainkarl
26th Feb 2006, 21:26
thanks whirly:)

Tall Boy
27th Feb 2006, 22:30
CaptainKarl,

First off, DO NOT panic. I've just recieved a Class 1 with a deviation from the CAA and i'm -6.25 in on eye and -4 in the other. They are generally quite happy to issue you a deviation given that you meet certain criteria. Jumping through hoops isn't a lot of fun and it has delayed my sponsored training by 5 months but at least i'm going to get to finally do it :D

The criteria I had to meet were:
1. Meet the renewal limits (no problem).
2. Have a valid and current JAR PPL.
3. Be over 18 years old.
4. Have had a stable eyesight prescription for the last three years.

Clearly for you the main problems will be the age and stability requirements. This is because most people are still growing until their early twenties (and so are their eyes). Most people find that eyesight stability tends to occur between age 18 and 22. This means two things for you, firstly that it is most likely going to be a while before your eyes stabilise and secondly that your eyes are probably going to continue to get worse before they level off. Of course everyone is different but these are the general trends.

You may not have to wait years for the class 1 to be issued due to the fact that you are only 0.25 dioptres outside the limits. I have heard of several people being issued class 1 medical certificates with similar prescriptions because there is generally a small margin of error when they measure prescription levels. You may be able to argue that due to this margin of error you could well be inside the limits after all. This is when your age may work against you though, as the optometrist will be aware of the fact that your eyes will likely deteriorate further from your current prescription over the next couple of years.

You should bear in mind that a deviation is only supposed to be issued in the case of a patient who can demonstrate that their particular medical problem has no effect on their ability to safely pilot an aircraft. This is why I had to gain my PPL before I could receive my Class 1 medical certificate.

My best advice is to speak directly to the medical division at Gatwick, who are most helpful and really do go out of their way to help you find a happy solution to the problem. The gentleman you want to speak to is Adrian Chorley, the (chief?) optometrist. He will be able to both answer any questions you may have about the deviation process and also to inform you of the likelihood of class 1 issue at the present time. He should also be able to tell you what you need to do if you don't presently meet their criteria.

Most importantly, don't lose hope. I have personally found that the attribute most likely to lead to you succeeding in your dreams is sheer persistence. If all else fails you can always go and fly in the U.S. as the FAA has much more lenient (and enlightened) medical requirements than the JAA states.

Tall Boy

George Semel
28th Feb 2006, 02:32
Well as far as the FAA goes as long as you can correct to 20/20 they will issue a Class 1 or 2 with out question. I know about eye problems. But I was able to get a Second class medical with out to much of a problem. Back then I needed to do some paper work and apply for a wavier. The FAA issued me a SODA. {Statement of Demostrated Ability} Had one ever since that was in 1974 till the late 1990's when they did away with SODA's or waviers for eye sight as long as you can correct. You are good to go. They have also modified things like heart problems and Dietbetes. So things that use to ground pilots when I started don't in 2006. If you go to the FAA web sight and look up FAR-67 Medical Standards it will tell you a lot on the subject. At 16 years you have plenty of time. My guess is that you will have to have your eye doctor fill out some forms. I get my eyes checked every year. Then there is corrective Surgery, here in the States most eye problems can be fixed. Even some serious problems are fixable these days.

EGBKFLYER
1st Mar 2006, 12:52
Hi Karl,

You know me (ask Lucy). My prescription is almost identical to yours and I have a class one, no problems. Couldn't get one for years :suspect: but the rules eventually changed with JAR. :D My guess is that the CAA don't want to commit themselves without examining you and before you get a couple of years older. Your prescription could still change before you go to Gatwick for the initial class 1...

Keep flying - they alwyas asked about my experience levels - and don't worry. Likelyhood is that you'll get the medical when you need it.