PDA

View Full Version : DFW Arrivals fao Scott

rubberjungle
25th Feb 2006, 19:07
Hi Scott, I see you are Fort Worth ARTCC so hope you may be able to help me.
I am after a bit of info re DFW arrivals as I am a regular on that route.
We generally arrive on a Bonham 5 (BYP 5) STAR and we prefer to land on the 18's to shorten greatly our taxi time.
I have been told that if we can switch to a JONEZ STAR that this arrival guarentees landing 18L or R, is this correct? as if so I would feed it back to our flight planning department.
We operate heavy jets btw if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Scott Voigt
27th Feb 2006, 22:09
Howdy;

Sorry it has taken me a while to get on, life has been hectic... We use the Jonez as an offset arrival when approach is allowing us to use what we call duals. This is done when the flow rate is up around 128 an hour or so (arrivals only), when the duals are in use, we normally acheive about a 144 arrival rate an hour <G>, got to love having concrete.

If you do get the Jonez you may or may not get the 18 complex. It is designed for the 17 complex. However since BA lands and goes to the International terminal on the west side, if there is a slot available on the 18's they will give that to you. They will even do it if you come over BYP. It just has to do with if there is a slot available for you on the finals. As with anything else we do, we try to give the most advantagous route and runway, but we aren't going to go out of the way to move other aircraft so that you don't have to taxi for two counties <G>... By the way, how do you like the new International Terminal???

regards

Scott

PS. Let me know when you are in town, would love to chat with you. I live 9DME on the 13R loc <G>. If given enough warning ( a couple of months) I might be able to get you into the center, but it takes a lot of info and then clearnace from security at the national level...

rubberjungle
10th Mar 2006, 10:09
Thanks Scott,
So the Jonez does not guarentee the 18's, It was implied to me that it did by an AA captain, they brief next to us at LGW and leave for DFW 15 mins after us--maybe he was trying to get in ahead of us by feeding us duff info :)
new terminal is great, immigration gets busy as we arrive with LH and the AA from LGW.
I do find DFW to be one of the more pleasant ATC enviroments in the USA probably due to the space.
You ought to hear some of your country folk on the radio into LHR/LGW in the morning rush, quite a lot of missed calls or say agains, if it was us into JFK or ORD I think they would dump us out the pattern untill we could get it right.
They often forget that when we arrive at say ORD at 7-8pm local it is 1-2am to us.
We also have very strict stabilised approach criteria which requires a go around at 1000' if not met, this is monitored via quick access flight data recorders so no cutting corners, as a result 180 to the marker is usually impossible unless with a strong headwind.
Thanks for the invite, I never have a schedule more than 4-5 weeks ahead of time though and sometimes less.
I will PM you next time I know I am coming.
Cheers RJ.

Human Factor
12th Mar 2006, 23:28
Agree entirely, RJ. To be fair Scott, so long as you can get us to the terminal before LH, we'll take whichever approach we can get. :ok: