PDA

View Full Version : Visiting France with an aeroplane in military colours..

Deneb
24th Feb 2006, 15:17
I am lucky enough to have access to a Bulldog, however one of the limitations of operating is that it is not allowed to fly in France because of it's ex-RAF colour scheme.
I wonder, does anyone know the why's and wherefore's of this, and if there is any procedure to get clearance to enter France? I remember well the diplomatic clearance we used to have to apply for to take miltary aircraft to France, but I doubt that is an option in this case.
Frustrating, because there are a group of Bulldogs operating on the French register in RAF training colours! It would be nice to visit.
Thanks
D

QDMQDMQDM
24th Feb 2006, 16:29
What about just go, stick to small airfields and plead ignorance?

QDM

gaxan
24th Feb 2006, 17:40
I have flown to France and Belgium many times in a military scheme and markings Tiger Moth and been welcomed everywhere. I wonder if you could loose the "exemption" from the CAA and RAF if someone complained?

bletchleytugie
24th Feb 2006, 18:41
I am sure that the exemption to operate in an aircraft in military markings only applies to the state that the aircraft is registered in - surely it's easier to ask before you go than mess about apologising afterwards.

VP8
24th Feb 2006, 19:03
Try the D.G.A.C. sorry the website is in French but heyho!!

http://www.dgac.fr/

VEEPS:ok:

BroomstickPilot
24th Feb 2006, 21:46
Deneb,

I think you will find that the only mil markings the French object to are those of Nazi Germany.

People flying vintage German aeroplanes in French airspace in their original markings are likely to be sent to Devil's Island.

Broomstick.

gyrotyro
25th Feb 2006, 08:40
Hi

I live permanantly in France (Between La Rochelle, Poitiers and Nantes) and operate a helicopter and also a Beagle Pup (Not military colours ), I also have my own strip. .

In my experience there would not be any problem in flying an ex RAF Bullgog around the republic, there is in fact a Nord a/c at one of my local airfields which is actually painted to replicate an M109 in war time colour scheme complete with iron crosses ! I did have a photo of it but have lost it unfortunately.

PS. My JAR class II medical costs me 40 euros (£25) and includes a cardiogram. Also my bi-annual check flight costs me just the 85 euros to hire a club a/c with F reg, the instructors time being paid for by the state. The club has the use of an instructor for 5 hours a week.

The medical validity is recognised by the CAA and my UK insurers and a copy of my bi-annual log book entry is stamped by the local DGAC office in La Rochelle and then sent to the CAA for confirmation.

My local club recently had a night flying party last full moon and had nearly 30 a/c all of which seemed to arrive with all seats filled. No landing fees, tarmac runway, crepes, baguettes, cider or mulled wine (for passengers of course) and all for 5 euros (£3).

Do I want to move back to the UK? No way !

Come on in the waters fine.

2Donkeys
25th Feb 2006, 08:46
Strange that some people will advocate breaking the rules rather than finding out the true position which is actually very simple.

You need to contact the DGAC for permission to operate an aircraft which does not display its civil markings (which is the actual issue, rather than the "military" aspect).

This permission comes free, and is turned around quickly. The friendly and helpful chap you need to contact is Philippe Auradé who can be reached on:

[email protected]
Tel: +33 1 58 09 42 98
Fax: +33 1 58 09 43 47

He also deals with the related issue of approving non PFA Permit aircraft to fly in France.

2D

Deneb
25th Feb 2006, 12:37
Thank you all, that is a great help. As I suspected, I didn't really know what the issues were - but I do now.

2Donkeys - thank you very much for the DGAC contact details. I will be in touch with Philippe first thing Monday. And yes, I would much rather fix it first than have to try and sort a problem.
Best wishes
D