PDA

View Full Version : CX Australia

palmdeira
24th Feb 2006, 08:28
hi all

I'm seeking info/advice on the freighter F/O positions advertised in Flight Int.
what are the T&C's like compared to HK? I assume they are on separate contracts? What about salary and benefits as I presume they are paid in A$. Is it commutable from elsewhere in Australia, eg BNE. What are the routes flown and rostering periods like. It appears to link into HK and then operate out of there for another trip?
Any advice, first hand or otherwise appreciated.
pd:ok:

SMOC
24th Feb 2006, 08:41
The positons are in Europe so paid in £s (£3500p/m) you will have to take a Hong Kong based roster so you can commute from HKG to AUS.

The ad says you also need:

The right to live and work in the Europe or the UK, but maybe not if you're on a HKG based roster.

Some one else will have to tell you what a HKG based roster is like, but I hear it's not very good for commuting.

Jet Man
26th Feb 2006, 00:33
Not sure about that. The ad reads as follows below. I thought the Australian bases were full and over subscribed. Is there expansion?

Job Description
Bases available: Melbourne & Sydney

Requirements:

1) An ICAO Airline Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL)

2) A minimum of 1000 hours in one of the following categories:
- Airline Jet Transport
- Command Turbo Prop (MAUW greater than 20,000 Kgs)
- High Performance Military Jet

3) A current Class One Medical

4) Fluent spoken & written English

5) Experience commensurate with age

6) The right to live and work in Australia or New Zealand.

Applicants who have previously applied please submit an Update Form.

Big Picture
26th Feb 2006, 13:01
No expansion to Aus, in fact CX are reducing to two flights a week to Aus. Vacancies in Aus will be the result of FO's electing to move to HKG onto the PAX fleet instead of attempting command course on the Classic. CX only give you two attempts at command so FO's are electing to take the extra money available in HKG and keep their powder dry for the attempt at command on less demanding aircraft types.
BP

SMOC
26th Feb 2006, 20:28
There must be two ads in flight.

Job Description
Requirements:

2) A minimum of 6000 hours (fixed wing); including 3000 hours operating in Command (PIC) of a Commerical Jet in International Operations.

5) The right to live and work in the Europe or the UK

Preferable:

1) B747 Type Rating

2) Widebody Jet Experience

Jet Man
27th Feb 2006, 00:37
Yes SMOC there are two ads in Flight. The one to which you refer is for a rapid command.

bored
28th Feb 2006, 10:24
The ad in F/I is for FO's on the airbus to be based in MEL and SYD.......yes pax fleet.
No more SO recruitment.
The rumour has been around for a couple of months now, looks like its coming to fruition.
They will also be looking for 777 FO's to fill North America bases when the new 777's ordered start replacing the bus and the 744 on those routes.

404 Titan
28th Feb 2006, 11:07
bored

I notice this is your first post. Do you mind giving us a copy of the add so we can compare it to what is acyually in F.I.

ataboy
28th Feb 2006, 11:22
Hey Folks:
Do you mean that they are not looking for anymore S/O in Aussie or they are not looking for anymore S/O at Cathay period?
Thanks for the help.

bored
28th Feb 2006, 11:56
Same ad as 'jet man' copied/pasted a few posts ago. Its on the FI website, look for it in the mag next month.
And no more SO's period.(except those with start dates already!)
That's all from me......."don't backchat me fella, I know boats!!!"

TruBlu351
28th Feb 2006, 12:30
This S/O add was only posted 4 weeks ago. I have friends still going to HK for interviews.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/2006/01/22/1501959/Second+Officer.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/Search.aspx?liRecruiterID=533

So what extra info do you have bored that things are drying up?

404 Titan
28th Feb 2006, 14:44
This is the order and wording of all the adds in Flight International in the last six weeks for CX. I find it interesting that the position of First Officer in Australia doesn’t mention the aircraft type like the other freighter positions. At this point I reserve my opinion but it looks like the rumours and what I have heard when I have flown with management pilots is coming to fruition. If true I’m disappointed that I haven’t heard boo about this from the AOA and if they are just as surprised as I am then I am pissed off that the company has done this without consulting the pilot body first as I was told they would before this would happen. I feel very sorry for all those current S/O’s who will see their upgrade times now increase from the current 3 ½ years to who knows how long. I will look into this more and let you all know what I find out.:confused:

First Officers - Australia
Posted
22 Feb 06
Close date
31 Dec 06
Contact
Assistant Manager Flight Crew Recruitment Kelly Crawford

Job Description

Bases available: Melbourne & Sydney

Requirements:

- Airline Jet Transport

6) The right to live and work in Australia or New Zealand.

New Applicants please download an Application Form by clicking the "Apply for this Job" link.

B747-200F First Officer - Rapid Command
Posted
21 Feb 06
Close date
31 Dec 06
Contact

Job Description
Requirements:

2) A minimum of 6000 hours (fixed wing); including 3000 hours operating in Command (PIC) of a Commerical Jet in International Operations.

5) The right to live and work in the Europe or the UK

Preferable:

1) B747 Type Rating

2) Widebody Jet Experience

New Applicants please download an Application Form by clicking the "Apply for this Job" link.

B747-200F First Officer - Europe
Posted
23 Jan 06
Close date
31 Dec 06
Contact
Assistant Manager Flight Crew Recruitment Carol de la Harpe

Job Description
Requirements:

- Airline Jet Transport

6) The right to live and work in the USA, or within reasonable commuting distance.

B747-400F First Officer - USA
Posted
22 Jan 06
Close date
31 Dec 06
Contact
Assistant Manager Flight Crew Recruitment Carol de la Harpe

Job Description
Requirements:

- Airline Jet Transport

6) The right to live and work in the USA, or within reasonable commuting distance.

Second Officer
Posted
22 Jan 06
Close date
31 Dec 06
Contact

Job Description
Requirements:

1) An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions)
OR an ICAO Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations

2) A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating

3) A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference is given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)

4) Experience commensurate with age

5) A current Class One Medical

6) Fluent spoken & written English

mpflis
28th Feb 2006, 16:47
Do you have any idea of what this could mean for any SO that has yet to join. Im currently waiting for a class. Why cant current SO's bid for these positions?

petitfromage
28th Feb 2006, 18:59
When the "Rapid Command" advert was published, it implied DE Capts. It has since been amended. It was a typo.
The Oz advert simply misses the "747 Classic" in the title....again, most likely, a typo.

I wouldnt leap to too many conclusions thats for sure.
There are SO interviews planned throughout 2006.

Liam Gallagher
28th Feb 2006, 23:58
Word round the camp fire is that Unlce Nick has been casually floating the idea a of Direct Entry 777 FO Aus base. The terms would be similar to the classic in both pay and transfer to the mainline list after 3 years (ish).

Clearly such a move would inflame the SOs who would probably get thrown some token by-pass pay and told to (politely) Poke off. 777 FO's desperate for a base in OZ will be told to just Poke off.

I would suspect the Oz ad is a look-see at what's available on the market before they go official. Wonder if our colleagues in the desert (which we may or may-not have a no-poaching deal with) read Flight magazine:} :}

propaganda
1st Mar 2006, 06:31
Alot of good rumours here.....:ok: lets hope they're true....the F I advert doesn't mention Freighter for the OZ basing. purely an oversight or something more sinister .......another rumour heard EK are having a serious look @ an OZ/NZ base...;)

Nullaman
1st Mar 2006, 08:25
What is indisputable is the fact that CX are going to have to think 'outside the box' if they want to operate the number of aircraft due to appear in the future. EK did not do so and they are starting to pay the price. Word around the suq is parked aircraft in DXB next month due pilots running head on into their max annual hours.

Expect creative thinking in HKG - no really!

Loopdeloop
1st Mar 2006, 13:34
The online Flight International ad has a link to the Cathay website. Following that then choosing careers then First Officer and it states quite clearly that:

First Officers
Direct Entry First Officers are initially employed on the freighter fleet.

Freighter Crew
Freighter Crew are based at ports other than Hong Kong and are employed by wholly owned subsidiaries of Cathay Pacific Airways.

It also still mentions second officer recruitment.

palmdeira
1st Mar 2006, 19:14
All interesting stuff, but can we get some answers to the original post?
What's it like working for CX Freight out of Australia????????:confused:

404 Titan
1st Mar 2006, 23:18
Loopdeloop

While at this stage I am led to believe it is a typo, I must point out that it usually takes the company about 6 – 12 months to update non essential stuff on their web sight. The careers section is non essential.

OBNO
3rd Mar 2006, 02:48
ANy one able to provide info. on conditions and pay for oz based freighter FO?

Thanks

Break Right
13th Mar 2006, 01:15
Just bring it back to the top!!

If anyone has info for FO Australia Base for both frieght or pax would be great.