PDA

View Full Version : Psoriasis

alberto86
23rd Feb 2006, 08:36
I'm wondering how does the CAA behave towards an applicant affected by some skin deseases such as psoriasis or echzema? Are they a reason of discrimination? And above all, can one be denied a Class 1 medical in those cases?

bluemamboman
23rd Feb 2006, 10:07
Don't worry about the medical. I have psoriasis and managed to get a class one. The medical officer at CAA didn't even batter an eyelid about the fact.

alberto86
24th Feb 2006, 22:00
is it mild moderate or severe? I've read that JARs dont allow severe psoriasis for a 1st class medical applicant.

Artificial Horizon
25th Feb 2006, 20:03
Alberto,

I wouldn't worry if I were you, I have held a class one medical for many years now even though I suffer from mild psoriasis. As above, the doctors I have been to haven't even mentioned it as a problme.

waco
27th Feb 2006, 23:33
I suffer from moderate psoriasis but had no problems getting a class 1 (even though I did not go on to a career in flying). The CAA Dr and I had an interesting discussion about it but he did not seem concerned.

I now work in airline operations and have done for many years. Consiquently I have travelled quite a lot. I do find that on long haul trips my skin does become excessively dry, I assume due to the pressurisation.

All the very best !

captain_flynn
27th Feb 2006, 23:51
I do find that on long haul trips my skin does become excessively dry, I assume due to the pressurisation.

Wouldn't that also be caused by dehydration also?

I have eczema. I've had it since I was two, but I haven't been for a class 1 medical yet. Is there a lower weight restriction for the class 1 medical? I'm just curious as i'm quite light.

waco
28th Feb 2006, 05:23
dont drink alcohol and drink lots of water....so think not....thanks

captain_flynn
28th Feb 2006, 09:52
dont drink alcohol and drink lots of water....so think not....thanks

Okay, it was just an idea as flying does dehydrate you quicker.

strafer
28th Feb 2006, 10:10
I normally have mild or no psoriasis, but had a fairly severe attack when going for initial Class One. As mentioned before, not a problem.

There is a possiblity that later in life you may have problems with psoriatic arthritis. It's a good idea to keep your weight down as this, (so I was told) can be a contributory factor.