PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth keeping military SAR?

scottishbeefer
22nd Feb 2006, 10:27
Folks

As an advocate of military types flying around rescuing people, is there anyone out there with a view on whether we should bite the financial bullet and keep mil SAR running long term? Or should we gracefully accept defeat and acknowledge that civilianisation is the way ahead?

How does UK PLC benefit from the RAF/RN doing the jobs?

4Foxtrot
22nd Feb 2006, 11:01
I'm sure the rotary mates will pile in one this one but one good reason for keeping SAR (in peacetime) is that it leads nicely into JPR on operations.

Oh, and it's great PR to see a bright yellow whirly-gig hovering over a sinking yacht or some flooded Cornish countryside.

snaggletooth
22nd Feb 2006, 11:12
The writing is on the wall and SAR will go civvy when the Sea King retires. There might be some military crews but the rest of the outfit will be civvy.

Fo' shizzle...

JTIDS
22nd Feb 2006, 12:23
JPR and peace time SAR are, sadly, two very seperate occupations which have less in common with each other than most people might think.

Have to agree that after the Seaking retires most of UK SAR will probably go civilian, with perhaps an occasional military crew being slotted in for appearances sake.

Climebear
22nd Feb 2006, 12:37
JTIDS

Not so (doctrinally)

JWP 3-66 Joint Personnel Recovery

... JPR includes Search and Rescue (SAR), Deployable Search & Rescue(DSAR), Combat Recovery(CR), Combat Search and Rescue(CSAR)... ... This represents a broad span of different types of operation covering a disparate group of missions. roles and tasks but consolidated into a single and coherent[sic] covering a number of parameters, the principal ones being location adn threat.

Pierre Argh
22nd Feb 2006, 12:46
One of the justifications often quoted for keeping a military SAR force is CSAR; but since the Falklands the MoD has not, as far as I can recall, detached any SAR assets with forces going to operational theatres... any SAR requirement has been met by assets on scene (or assumed that we could call upon the assistance of Unckie Sam to help us out)

I feel CSAR is destined to become a secondary role for SH, whilst the UK shores are protected by the Coastguard... or maybe RNLI helicopters, now there's a thought?

scottishbeefer
22nd Feb 2006, 13:04
I thought the original and continued point of mil SAR was to recover FJ mates when they parted company with the jet. As we all know that tasking is <1% of 1% of the jobs (thankfully).

Technically isn't mil SAR meant to be deployable in times of crisis? Not that I can recall such an event. I guess anyone's deployable if reqd.

Whilst the SH mates are definitely better placed for the CSAR role, the yellow/ red & grey fleet do get a fantastic range of jobs which the aircrew would never find elsewhere. That's experience for the mil you literally could keep buying if you kept us going. Not to mention, as stated by 4F above, the PR is always good.

Can't remember the last time a misinformed journo dissed any SAR crew for abusing the casualty! (That could well be another thread!)

Tourist
22nd Feb 2006, 13:04
However, the Junglie bloke that wrote (copied from the Yanks) the JPR doctrine couldn't find his own @rse with both hands.
Not entirely his fault, but IMHO we are trying to match the US way of doing things without the suitable assets just to, in theory, be interoperable. The chances of the US letting us anywhere near one of their operations is quite likely zero.
I reckon we should do it like USMC Trap.
The simple fact is that JPR and SAR bear no relation to each other, otherwise 771 and Crab sqns would be the guys doing it!

Bismark
22nd Feb 2006, 16:39
This is not meant as an inter-service dig but the RN SAR force is totally coherent with the front line reqt. RN SAR crews are front line crews from the SK/Mer/Lynx world on a respite tour. The skillsets are directly transferrable and embarked crews are at notice for SAR wherever they are in the world - and have been used on an all too regular basis.

Regrettably (and this is not a dig) the RAF SAR Force is a stand alone organisation with no war/front line role. With the exception of a loss of PR civilianisation of this Force would make little difference to MOD.

Tourist
22nd Feb 2006, 16:46
I think Bismark, to be fair, that lot more cross-pollination (look at me with the w@nky phrases!) is going on in the RAF SAR force these days also.

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2006, 16:49
Worth bearing in mind that the RN SAR force has its roots in the support of FW carrier aviation, which we are promised will return in about 20XX. The RN does therefore need to maintain skills in SAR in order to be able to expand (a rare word!) capacity when JSF goes to sea.

scottishbeefer
22nd Feb 2006, 18:50
All the MOD SAR force is technically deployable I think. But concur that the RN rotates the crews way more than the light blue.

One of the fundamental difficulties for the civ's (I standby to be corrected here...) is that they remain bound by whatever limits the MCA or whoever sets them. Whereas a mil crew can keep going at the a/c cdr's discretion with no theoretical limit, merely judgment as when to say "no". Not that the civ's would not have the cojones to keep going (they're mostly ex-mil anyway) but for them the line is the line. Mainly I'm talking about actually getting to the scene, which is often the hardest bit.

Last autumn a mil crew had a bugger of a time getting to a family of 8 who were literally being washed away on a river island (their transit van already had). The wx was diabolical but by climbing over the trees when necessary, hover taxiing down the roads etc, they got there and pulled them off, in the nick of time when things were looking v.grim.

How did the crew justify it? Because it's operational flying which allows a/c cdrs to modify the rules if it's in the national/service interest.

How can such rules be applied to a civ crew? Bristows/CHC or whoever have a ton of money invested in their cabs - they won't allow them to fly "limitless".

Perhaps the answer is for the MOD to "parent" all SAR and take the budget that would have been allocated to the MCA post SAR(H). This is of course a great theory but the reality is still likely to end up way different I'm afraid.

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2006, 18:59
What is there to stop the Mil from turning over the crewing of SAR to FTRS and the maintainance to a civilian contractor?

Best of all worlds or worst of all worlds?

Bismark
22nd Feb 2006, 19:15
Beefer,

The point is not one of rotation of crews it is that ALL RN rotary crews are SAR capable and on standby when embarked.

Re "theoretical" deployability of the UK SAR Force - the point here is that there is no deployable role for the RAF SAR Force, the RN SAR a/c can and do deploy to the CVS for SAR/HDS duties.

Re Civ SAR - there is no reason why the CAA could not clear Civ SAR to the same limits as the current Mil SAR to allow overland SAR - the police are already NVG cleared etc.

Droopystop
22nd Feb 2006, 19:19
Scottishbeefer

If I am not mistaken, there are no limits on civvy cabs when life is at risk, just commanders discretion.

Tourist
22nd Feb 2006, 19:21
Bismark,
Stretching the point a bit to say all RN crews are SAR capable. Junglies will have a go at night if they are allowed, but not really SAR capable at sea.
Lynx ditto at night

detgnome
22nd Feb 2006, 19:38
To counter the RN view (slightly) - all RAF crews, not just SK SAR, are SAR capable and available on varying degrees of readiness depending on location.

scottishbeefer
22nd Feb 2006, 20:29
Concur Tourist's comments re all RN SAR capable - all helo crews can have a go at rescuing someone, the RN are SAR at sea on AL60 or as reqd because they're the only SAR asset in the middle of the oggin. Likewise the AAC do similar in Belize etc; not the same as a dedicated, worked up SAR crew with appropriate kit.

Droopystop - didn't know that - ta. Hopefully the crew wouldn't feel any commercial pressure to stop before they felt they'd actually hit the limit of the a/c + crew, especially since they've mainly been on mil side of the fence.

Airborne artist's idea has merit I think - as ever I guess money will drive the issues.

But, what will happen if/when all SAR is civ and all the ex-mil SAR types have withered on the vine? I guess the civ's will need to grow their own experience from within - however, my gut tells me the accident rate is bound to go up at that point. It's been a long running debate on another thread about the amount of hours the mil/civs get for training. The accidents will probably come from the crew getting out of their depth when inevitably they act with the casualty's best interests at heart. Alternatively they might call it a day (night?) when a mil crew (or civ of old) could have found the way to skin the cat.

Is there a thoroughbred civvy SAR driver out there who can advise on how their operation is going?

Any SAR service is better than none of course. But wouldn't it be ironic if some civil servant who's signed off to kill mil SAR was the bloke left on the side of mountain because of the reasons above?

Perhaps we've shot ourselves in the foot by not taking such decision makers out on a few more dark and scary nights (pref. a real job) - they might see it differently.

Any SABR/SAR(H) experts who could enlighten us on the gen rationale behind the decisions?

scottishbeefer
23rd Feb 2006, 07:16
Jungly

Can't disagree with you over the pound being king.

There's probably a culture of legacy thinking here (of which I'm still guilty). Whereby people are used to a very high standard of SAR and presume that's the base level required. In reality as I said above, any service is better than none, and if the jobs are attacked safely and most casualities are dealt with then that is the base level.

However.....if we paired everything down to the leanest possible it would make for a dull existence, grossly limit the respite tours for those overworked Front Liners and I suspect would rather take the shine off the military flying machine in that we do SAR pretty well and there are tangible benefits to MOD associated with it. Viewed purely as a PR effort it is indeed expensive but it has other roles than SAR - namely civil aid, homeland defence, nuclear accident support (deep joy!) etc. All stuff that might prove a bit geographically tricky for the SH mates if they're all deployed East of Suez and certainly not going to be in any MCA/civvy company contract.

A subjective view of course, you can always get choppers from somewhere to fill the gaps.

SB

teeteringhead
23rd Feb 2006, 07:32
I still remain to be convinced that providing a comparable service by civilians would be cheaper.

I was in MoD a few years ago when SAR civilianisation was raised (as it regularly is). Much of the financial justification was made by comparisons with the then-new DHFS, and it was amazingly difficult to convince Sir Humphrey and his gang that putting 24 Squirrels on the line at one base 9-5 five days a week was a touche different from putting 2 Sea Kings (or equivalent) on line 24/7/365 in penny packets at a many different locations ....

That said, it will probably happen as "the pound is king". Cynical moi predicts the following:

1. Privatisation proceeds on flawed Investment Appraisal.
2. "No more resources available" when it is discovered that military system cannot be replicated.
3. Service provided cut somehow - probably closing flights/extending reaction times - to fit what Sir Humphrey wants to spend.

Remember .... you heard it here first......;)

scottishbeefer
23rd Feb 2006, 08:34
Yes, and DHFS has not proved the financial panacea that was thought. I wonder if the Lessons Learned have actually been acted upon?

GodsDam
23rd Feb 2006, 08:38
I have to agree with junglyAEO's comments but couldn't the same thing be said about The Red Arrows?
After all they are "just" a massive PR machine that cost big £'s a year to maintain:eek: ! At least the SAR boys (and girls) provide a service as well as good PR.
I'm not having a go at the reds but if you want to save money without loosing a service (apart from PR) then ditch the display team (Controversial)!

Droopystop
23rd Feb 2006, 09:02
I think if you asked the average Joe public, they would immediately associate all SAR with the RAF, regardless of the colour of the cab. In other words, the RAF get good PR whoever do the job. Granted that those who live on the coast might be better informed, but most of the population live inland.

I have had the pleasure of flying with both Civvy and ex mil pilots in a SAR role and IMHO the Civvy commanders are every bit as good as the ex military types.

Alexander.Yakovlev
23rd Feb 2006, 09:18
Certainly in the South West, the good PR raised by SAR is equally split between the RN and RAF. You are of course right in saying that the public has a better understanding because the population in the South West all live near the coast. That having been said there is great coverage of SAR activities in the SW. Several times a week there will be reports of SAR on the news and local papers. With such a high profile in the region and the relatively high density of SAR coverage thanks to Culdrose, Mawgan, Chivenor etc, the public would be outraged to see a decline in service due to transfer to a civilian operator. Military SAR has proved its worth, especially in its numbers, in the region on several occasions, when more then one incident needs to be attended at any one time. Just think of the huge variety of incidents that could go on at any one time. What with the fishing industry, private leisure craft, divers, shipping industry etc, there is obviously a very real demand for the services of military SAR in the SW.

SARowl
23rd Feb 2006, 09:26
1. Civilian SAR pilots operate with two rule books. For training and non-SAR urgent tasking we operate to CAA CAT (commercial air transport) regulations - safe single engine + standard IFR rules etc. On a declared SAR mission the rule book goes out of the window and everything is at the Captain's discretion.

2. MCA SAR pilots are now approx 70% civilian, ie non military background. They cope just the same as their military counterparts because of selection and training. Remember RN/RAF pilots were civilians before they signed up!

3. Stornoway cope very well with mountain tasking so we are not only maritime.

4. We could do with NVG's. The CAA seem to have become more flexible about this issue, so I think it's only a matter of time and the correct aircraft modifications.

teeteringhead
23rd Feb 2006, 10:43
The rule discrepancy that SAROwl mentions should also be addressed in full civilianisation, and was another factor talked about in the Ministry. Service pilots at present can train to rules and in conditions that they would use on "jobs". Ergo, a civilian on his first job may not have flown in those conditions or to those rules before.

Not a problem to change the rules I guess............

scottishbeefer
23rd Feb 2006, 11:30
Valid points all.

JTIDS
23rd Feb 2006, 14:33
On a sort of connected theme, would be interesting to know what percentage of the JIGSAW project (BP North Sea Oil SAR) are ex mil, how much they are costing, and how efficent they are. (not to mention what their weather limits are) Also if they are largely ex mil, how much would their costs go up if the source of ex mil SAR pilots and rear crew dried up...

engineer(retard)
23rd Feb 2006, 18:52
"I have to agree with junglyAEO's comments but couldn't the same thing be said about The Red Arrows?"

To my knowledge this has been punted before but no politician would take that one.

retard

lurkposition
23rd Feb 2006, 19:30
Yes, the mighty accountants are the arbiters of all...and assume because they pay, they are all knowing. Mil SAR will perish in their hands. Civ SAR is definately as professional and provides a fine service but the bean counters will whittle it down to size.

Of note, is SARowl saying that although the civ SAR train under CAA CAT rules, on ops they will extend themselves. This would be in to situations that they would not have experienced or trained for. How can this be better than the realistic training we were allowed to carry out when I was on Mil SAR? It is not safe to carry out ops with no experience of operating in testing conditions. With fewer ex mil crews available to civ SAR where is the experience to come from?

Train [as much as is possible] for the real thing.

Good luck SARBOYS everywhere.

Wyler
23rd Feb 2006, 19:38
As I understand it, the Red Arrows are more or less self funding. That's what I was told anyway. No matter what the pro's and cons, I would like to see SAR retained in the Military, it's great PR with a life saving service.
I remember, as a small boy, sitting in Rock Park, Barnstaple when the Wessex SAR from Chivenor used to land with casualties for the local hospital. Used to draw crowds and made everyone aware of what the RAF could do. Same goes for the RN in the south west.
As an aside, watched the TV documentary series about the lifesavers on a beach in Cornwall during last summer. Used to regularly show the Coastguard helicopter on Ops. Some of the winchmen seemed veeerrrrry old, or had they just been in the sun too long??

scottishbeefer
23rd Feb 2006, 20:25
Wyler

Well said. But let's not forget the boys North of the border, the RN have had the UK's busiest SAR unit for the past 2 years there. Guess they'll need to work that PR machine a bit (a lot) more.

southside
23rd Feb 2006, 23:06
Having had experience of SAR operations both ashore (Lee, Portland and Culdrose) as well as embarked, I think it will be a sad day when (if) the military lose the Civilian SAR mantle. I think we will always keep a skill set for military SAR but sadly, unless we can change public opinion, Civvy SAR for the Forces is on its way out.

In some repsects I blame our PR people for this lack of understanding. Down here, we have the SAR flights at Lee and Portland (both ex-RN but now Bristows) rammed down our throats daily on the evening news. There must be at least 2/3 stories a week on both of these units on the local TV. On occassion I work in the far south west and feel lucky if any of the TV or radio stations give a mention to Chivenor or Culdrose. Whose got it right?

Spanish Waltzer
24th Feb 2006, 05:56
Some very interesting comments so far, however nobody seems to fully explored the COMR option yet. The civil owned/military registered format for aircraft is the deal that they use at DHFS including the RAFs Search & Rescue training unit at Valley. Whilst Scottish Beefer has mentioned it is not all a bed of roses there, the concept of cost cutting by getting a civvy organisation to provide and maintain the aircraft can work - especially when deployability is not an issue. Thereafter the crews can be 100% military or a mixture of civvy & military.
The RAF SAR unit in Cyprus now also works this way with COMR aircraft, civvy support but 100% military crews.
This could also remove the issue of civvy flying restrictions. The civvy QHIs & QHCIs at DHFS (I accept at the moment they are all ex mil) can operate the aircraft to the same rules - low fly & NVG inclusive - as their mil counterparts.

Could this not be the case too for SAR throughout the UK?

Furthermore the COMR aircraft could then have RAF RESCUE or NAVY RESCUE or indeed DEFENCE RESCUE painted on the side to keep the PR people happy...

southside
24th Feb 2006, 06:08
Thats a very good point. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

scottishbeefer
24th Feb 2006, 07:54
Yeah, forgot about the COMR issue. With more robust handling of the PFI contract, that is probably a starter - actually I believe it is/was on the table as an option now you mention it.

Concur Southside re PR and the SW England media. Not that the Lee/PO boys shouldn't get the thanks, just that we should do a bit better.

DCC (Directorate Corporate Communications - DPR of old) - why not spend some productive money on a military SAR/general helo ops telly ad? (I am standing by for JunglyAEO et al to tell me what a waste of money this would be!). Benefits? Increased recruiting/greater public awarensss/understanding/support. Hard to see the downside. (?)

Toxteth O'Grady
24th Feb 2006, 07:58
why not spend some productive money on a military SAR/general helo ops telly ad?

IIRC didn't the crabs do one of those 3 or 4 years ago?

:cool:

TOG

Wyler
24th Feb 2006, 08:46
Up here at Boulmer, when they announced the closure of the station, it was the expected loss/relocation of the SAR helicopters that caused the major uproar. Being married to a local lady I can state that the yellow helicopters are part of the furniture and everyone in the region is accutely aware of its presence, the job the crews do and the service it provides.
The thought of anything else replacing it is greeted with genuine horror. Basically, I think Joe Public wants to see a miltary helicopter, yellow or grey with RAF or RN on the side. I include Coastguard in that as well.
When I asked about it around the family, they were concerned about a civilianisation due, mainly, to everyones mistrust of 'Public Services'. However unfounded their fears are, they believe that removal of the military from the equasion will inevitably lead to a reduction in service and corner cutting. That's where the PR battle will be.
I was back in Devon on holiday last year and the weather was glorious. We spent some days down on Saunton Sands and, when the Sea King flew over, people were jumping up and down and waving, cameras were out and mums and dads were telling their kids about what the helicopter was for. These were people from all over the country, not just the local (interested) community. The exact same thing happens here in Northumberland.
Do not underestimate the impact you have and the support you enjoy: keep it Military.

southside
24th Feb 2006, 14:55
Are the civvy SAR boys fully IFR capable ?

My oppo flys for PAS and he tells me that the Police are VFR only - no requirtement for any IFR. He also tells me that the Air Ambulance guys are Day/VMC only... wish I could get that in my log book...

scottishbeefer
24th Feb 2006, 15:28
Not all Ambo's are day/vmc - Glasgae at least flies at night, believe that's single pilot IFR as it happens. The feds may be day/nt vmc?

Not sure about the MCA chaps - what's the S61 fit?

This is one of the handy things about the 'King vs 61. The radar. No probs doing a self controlled let down over the sea then running in on the scope. Makes finding a way to the inland jobs easier (not always - naturally).

SB

JKnife
24th Feb 2006, 15:52
Are the civvy SAR boys fully IFR capable ?

Yes, they are fully IFR capable and the S-61 and the Jigsaw aircraft both have much better IFR capability then the military because they have to conform to civil regulations. As for the radar argument, at least the S-61 and the AS332L2 (Jigsaw aircraft) have nose radar, so no clearing the blind arc all the time. As for stories that the radar is only cloud/clunk, the radars have a weather mode but they also have various search modes and safe letdowns can be made to vessels and coastlines quite safely. The fact that the radar only sweeps 60degs either side of the nose isn't a big problem either when you have a 360deg FLIR/TV camera.

If by fully IFR you mean a form of AFCS, the S-61 uses a system similar to the Sea King Mk3A and much better than the Mk3/5/6 system. The AS332L2 has an even better system which many SAR pilots (including MCA) would love to use as it is so much more flexible.

So the answer is that the civilians can do the stuff the military can do and mostly with better kit.

scottishbeefer
24th Feb 2006, 16:13
Easy JK - let's keep one thread that doesn't degenerate into name calling (not that it isn't amusing sometimes granted), otherwise it'll end up "shut up" countered by "get lost" style arguments! Or did you design/approve the fitting/pay for the kit?

Since you are obviously in the know - can the 61's radar do transit in narrow channels, eg lochs etc? Can in let down in similar? Could it control another airborne asset if they lost their radar?

Nobody's saying the civ's are any less capable than the military. We're merely looking at the whys/why nots of keeping the light/dark blue choppers doing the job.

SB

priestleyre
24th Feb 2006, 18:08
May I just add that I hope Military SAR is kept as I am Off to OASC at the end of March(applying for Wsop), and if I am successful then my long term ambition is to work as a winchman, then to retire into the same job in civvy street.

priestleyre
24th Feb 2006, 18:37
Did your application read something like...
"Dear sir, I'd like to join the armed forces, but only so long as I don't have to do any nasty deployments that take me away from my family, you pay me loads of extra dosh for doing the same job as a civvy, and when I've had enough, I'll take all the training you've given me plus my big fat pension and go and get a job outside, thus preventing anyone else doing what I plan!"

No, It did not. I am more than willing to do any 'nasty deployments' and I am joining because I wish to serve my country. However I think that I would be well suited to SAR work and that in the absence of a 'nasty deployment' this would be a worthwhile use of my time and RAF resources. As for getting a job outside, I would be happy to stay employed in the RAF well into my old age however I feel they may not want me! Also I would want to join 'HM' coastguard on my retirement and so would be still be working for 'HM'!

scottishbeefer
24th Feb 2006, 18:50
Priest

Are you rising to the bait already? If you can't take a joke you shouldn't join!

JAEO - you're dragging what had been a professional discussion into the mud you naughty boy. Get thee off to Clockwork or somewhere you can literally chill.

All good things etc.

SB

JKnife
24th Feb 2006, 20:00
SB
I assume by JK you are refering to me. I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by name calling. I was answering the questions posed by you and southside and no intention was meant to turn this in to a slanging match.

In answer to your radar question, yes, you can let down in to lochs or other channels, probably with as much care as the venerable Sea King does (but is easier because there is no blind arc). However, neither aircraft has radar that can control other aircraft and from what I remember the only way the Sea King can do that is if the aircraft has an I-band transponder. Civil SAR aircraft do not carry that bit of kit. However, if that was necesary, would there not be a top cover aircraft such as a Nimrod or AWACS anyway? Both of these can read Mode 3 transponders. Howver, I guess the Merlin can do this as well.

I am not involved with approvals of any kit. I have seen the kit working in both types.

To keep to the topic, I question the wisdom of the military losing all their SAR training, but I suspect that the RAF at least wants to go the way of CSAR. It was wanting to go that way many years ago but realised the Sea King wasn't the right type. Still, they have used the Puma and the Chinook successfully. I believe the RN want to lose it on cost cutting grounds, or are they now planning to use the Merlin in the Sea King's place for shorebound bases?

Perhaps the better way would be for the COMR option, but I suspect that if the "civilian" crews are required to wear a uniform and do all the UK station secondary duties (which was certainly muted a few years back), then there won't be that many takers.

scottishbeefer
24th Feb 2006, 20:08
JK - fair points. SK can hold the contact in the "raw" but not always easily, as you say minus the transponder.

southside
24th Feb 2006, 20:37
I didnt prosume that JK was name calling....it was a genuine question and JK provided a good and honest answer.

southside
24th Feb 2006, 21:24
No, It did not. I am more than willing to do any 'nasty deployments' and I am joining because I wish to serve my country. However I think that I would be well suited to SAR So you are prepared to get your boots slightly soiled but if anyone were to even consider shooting at you then you'd be straight off to the P&P people for a tadge of recompense.

Hmmmmm..... I think you may be more suited spending some time in a clinic.

Sven Sixtoo
24th Feb 2006, 21:31
AFAIK
The dedicated Civil SAR S61Ns have the SN450 digital autopilot, which outperforms the Mk??? AP in the SK 2/3/4/5/6/7. The SK3A has the SN500, which does essentially the same as the 450;probably has a few more megs of processing or something to justify the extra 11.1* %. I believe all except the Mk4 are regulated to allow zero vis approaches to the sea surface, and if you took the gags off the Mk4 AP buttons and gave the crews appropriate trg they could do it too (though clearing the space for descent without a radar would be 'interesting'). So to suggest that one or the other (mk4 excepted) is better in IFR terms is a dodgy argument.
The 322Ls probably have something newer and better.
The Merlin AP has similar capabilities to the 450/500 (with better duplex protection?? - Merlin drivers help me here) except that its autohover / hovertrim is inch-perfect and has the potential to change SAR SOPs a lot if it were to come into service. This may already be happening with the three EH101 variants already in dedicated SAR service worldwide.
Nose mounted radar has some obvious advantages (see where you're going, pilots have the picture directly available).
It also has numerous disadvantages (no north stab / ground stab hence no map overlay, can't see behind you - handy when reversing to the coast in an onshore wind, distracts the NHP from looking for visual references, much smaller coverage for a search).
I would not like to have to give an overall superior rating to one or the other.
Considering the original question.
There is a spectrum of operational experience available in UK SAR which the BH crews are unlikely to run across routinely. All-weather ship ops explore much of that spectrum - hence the RN view that UK SAR is a "respite tour". It is highly desirable that the BH force have a chunk of that experience embedded (you never know what you might be asked to do on deployed ops). Therefore the concept of mil involvement in UK SAR has some merit.
However, to do UK (or anywhere specific) SAR to the highest standard requires local experience and expertise. This is mostly gained by having been there and done that. Civilian crews, who (correct me if I'm wrong) generally treat the job as an absolute end rather than one step in a career progression, may over time gain an advantage in this respect.
So the answer is:
From the military point of view, yes.
From the national point of view, maybe - there are conflicting priorities.
Sven

Jon Jehr
25th Feb 2006, 04:36
[quote=JTIDS]JPR and peace time SAR are, sadly, two very seperate occupations which have less in common with each other than most people might think.

I am not convinced that the above statement is true. With a change in our mindset, I believe that our military rescue force could equally achieve both the standard home based SAR and deployed CSAR/JPR roles.

I agree that currently the RAF SAR force appears to be under utilised as a military force - by that I mean war-fighting/supporting. However, many of the SAR crews have served on green helicopters. Indeed, many of the very finest aircrews I have flown with have been ex-SAR and similarly many excellent SH pilots and crewmen have crossed over to the yellow machines.

A JPR mission could entail flight in any weather conditions, in any climate, in any terrain - it could entail a search or recovery of personnel from ships, other stuctures or restricted access sites. Despite the CAMAO trg that was all the rage a few years ago, a recovery mission may be totally unsupported by external assets. In addition to superior flying skills, JPR specifically needs crews with exceptional situational awareness and CRM skills. These are areas in which our SAR crews excel.

My vision would be to replace the SK with the Merlin. The SAR flights would be expanded to 4-6 machines. If that needed a reduction in bases to 3 or 4 more strategically placed units, then so be it. The remaining flights would then have enough crews and machines to deploy as a pair and retain the ability to have an alert crew/aircraft back at home base. Those flights not deployed would have the ability to complete formation, tactical training missions. Admittedly, this plan would require more Merlins than we currently have, but if we are to keep the SAR force, something needs to replace SK. The benefit would be an increased warfighting ability over the current split SH/SAR force while retaining the peacetime SAR capability.

In sum, all aircrews are trained to be military operators and all should share the burden. The SAR force contains some of the most capable and experienced opertaors in the helicopter force. The JPR/SAR mission should be one of the premier and demanding roles within the RAF.

If we "give up" the SAR force, we won't get more SH. We will only lose some very talented individuals. We need to change how we think of rescue and re-focus to get more out of what we have, or hope to have.

Just my 2 pence worth - (and no I'm not a Merlin guy or SARboy)

25th Feb 2006, 05:49
JKnife - let's be clear here - you don't have a better IFR capability, you just have better kit (twin VOR/DME) I suspect instead of the one that we make do with. The better kit doesn't get you to a hold or down an ILS any better or allow you to utilise a lower DH/MDH so where is the better capability.

As for IMC letdowns over water to vessels or coastlines - I can only assume you haven't tried to use the FLIR/TV in these conditions because neither can see in cloud so not having a full radar picture can be a problem - vis trying to turn through 180 when faced with an onshore wind and a coastal letdown into a bay...how do you clear the area you are about to turn into?

Can you couple the AFCS to the nav kit and fly searches in autopilot mode whilst having a the FLIR autoscan for survivors with the ability to detect a head in the water from 1000m @ 500'? That is modern SAR capability.

SARREMF
25th Feb 2006, 07:10
A couple of points in reverse order:-
Crab, calm down its only a commercial!
Jon Jehr, not your vision I'm afraid. That one has been talked about since at least 93/94 - and I agree with you.
Sven, good post well phrased but my answer to you links to my answer to JKnife.
JKnife. The military requirment to train all Support Helicopter crews in secondary role SAR remains extant beyond the decision for SAR(H). Therefore we will need instructors. But that capability will be provided by UK MFTS. UK MFTS will have a mix of mil and civil instructors very similar to the current DHFS set up. My best guess would suggest that some military involvement will remain in SAR - but it may be smaller than we have at the moment. Think of it as the DHFS model turned the other way round - DHFS 60%mil, 40% civ. SAR(H) 60% civ 40% mil?????????? Why not? You get the benefits of COMR, best practice from all 3 services [Civil,RN and RAF] thrown into one melting pot. No more "my Dads bigger than your Dad" discussions. We all bring something to the party lets use the best from each side.
Think on this. Current IPT is at Abbey Wood. It is miltary funded with MCA participation. Let us suppose you make the decision, no more military in SAR. Disband the miltary IPT, give the miltary cash in the EP budget to another project, hand over all work to DTI [or whatever they are called these days] wait 6-years whilst another Government Dept looks at the issues and attempts to get more funding for the entire project.
So, all eyes on the IPT - any signs of suitcases or removal lorries is a better indicator that the Military is out of SAR!

JKnife
25th Feb 2006, 08:37
Crab, why do you always have to turn things in to a slanging match only to show your ignorance yet again?! You really do need to get out more. ;)

While the S61 has twin VHF COM/NAV/ILS as required by civil regulations, it is essentially a pilot driven machine as is the Sea King. However, the Mk2 Super Puma has the capability to fly a fully coupled ILS and holds over beacons, plus many other extemely good features for SAR use which are definitely better than the current S-61/Sea King systems. I've seen it in use and it is good! No doubt the Merlin has, and the S-92 and AW139 will have such niceties as well. For SAR operations the limits are the same as yours where life or limb is involved. Then it is down to the skill of the crews with the kit that they have at their disposal. The only slight advantage the military may have is that you can use helmet mounted NVG. Makes mountain and cliff searches easier, but that doesn't mean that you can always get there while the other aircraft can't. I did many cliff and mountain jobs before NVG came in, the latter just made it slightly easier when the time of the month was right. Still didn't stop us attempting when it wasn't the right time of the month.

I apologise to those for going off topic, briefly to answer Crab.

In answer to Sven Sixtoo, I don't think there are conflicting priorities, there are two. The military has a need for CSAR, the civilian world a need for a day-to-day cover for any vessel or person in trouble. Up to a few years back, the military covered the civil SAR for all UK, but some areas were not covered well. That is why Sumburgh and Stornoway became civilian as they were a long way for Lossiemouth to get there quickly. Then the Navy started cutting back, so Lee-on-Solent and Portland became civil to cover that area's needs.

CSAR and civil SAR differ markedly in the way the work is done. Mind you, it would be fun to see a yellow Sea king pitch up to a job with two yellow painted Apaches for top cover:D

Perhaps a better way is for the RAF and RN to completely give up civilian SAR and the government to look properly at a fully funded Coastguard (including boats as well as aircraft) that would look after all civil SAR, fishery protection, customs and exercise work such as anti-drug, etc. If the operation was set up properly, it could be a quasi-military operation along the lines of the USCG. Aircraft could be used under the military flying regulations (i.e. military registered) but have the civil requirements as well. It could certainly take a lot of the other work that the military covers for the civil community allowing them to concentrate on what they should be doing, training for war. However, military pilts could be seconded for SAR experience if it was felt necesary by the Lords and Masters.

SARREMF. I like your thinking. However, there are others in both worlds who wont think logically like that, so we still end up with the discussions of who does it better or not.

Tourist
25th Feb 2006, 09:20
The military should not lose SAR for the simple reason that it maintains a centre of excellence for SAR in the military sphere. This knowledge is then propagated throughout the fleet as people move. Whether or not the civvys can do it better is immaterial, as well as dependant on what you consider better. Cheaper certainly.

And what your IFR fit has to do with it I have no idea. RN SAR Cabs have no DME, no VOR, no ILS, and I never had any cause to want one. If where the casualty is has one of those, you do not need a SAR cab.

Droopystop
25th Feb 2006, 09:23
Just to answer Crab's question about coupled FLIR searches, I believe that the MCA aircraft can be coupled up to fly several different types of search patterns whilst using the FLIR/Radar/mk1 eyeball to search for the casualty.

Thomas coupling
25th Feb 2006, 09:48
3 pennethworth:

Emergency services to adapt/adopt to SAR would require a massive cash injection direct from the government to give it half a chance of working. It would also take us away from our core business which is onshore! As much as I would like to cover coastal SAR - deep water SAR is a completely different league. All emergency service a/c can/do carry out onshore SAR - it just isn't referred to in that way.
Civvy specialist contractors is the way to go for obvious reasons, should the tide turn! [CHC is the future from what I observe - ooops sorry!].

Be very very aware those 'civvy' operators who operate under the 'devil may care' rule book when there is a perceived threat to life. The rule book most certainly does not go out of the window - especially in these days of burgeoning bureaucratic surpression and more effectively: LITIGATION.
Cast off your regs at your peril.

I would imagine very large civvy companies lobbying the government more and more especially at the demise of the might queen of the skies (S61/Seaking). Makes sense from a government perspective.

Respect to all SAR crew.

scottishbeefer
25th Feb 2006, 10:20
Realistically, I think COMR may be the best solution the military could expect (apart from the gold plated, keep things as they are result- unlikely). Still raises other questions, especially if the manning is iaw REMFs forecast above, ie 60% civ vs 40% mil. How do you organise the C2 of the unit? We're all big boys but someone's gotta be in charge. Similar story for the crews. DHFS is still a military organsiation, albeit augmented by civilians.

There's also career implications - OJAR chain and so on, if the grown ups are mainly civ, especially the Boss.

JK - I was a pre and post NVG SAR Wallah. I can tell you that it is a miracle I am here today given the capability jump you get with the gog's. True - they most certainly do not turn night into day, but you couldn't seriously consider overland SAR without 'em these days. No doubt NVG are on the planning table for SAR(H) and frankly, as long as a few of the boys are experienced then they can breed that into the ab-initios - it isn't rocket science. That will be the main limit for the MCA cabs until the next generation of machines start flying. It's more of risk for a non-NVG crew to go into them thar' hills than is worth persuing the casualty sometimes.

cyclic
25th Feb 2006, 16:10
Crab

Can you couple the AFCS to the nav kit and fly searches in autopilot mode

You can certainly do that already in the L2 and it draws the search pattern on the NMD for you so that you can monitor progress. As for autoscan on the flir, I'm sure that is a capability that could be incorporated but bodies in the water don't show up to well on flir as you know.

26th Feb 2006, 14:29
Cyclic and J Knife - I was talking about the S61 v the Sea king not the L2 - as ever when a valid point is made (not exactly showing ignorance just stating facts) the other party moves the goalposts and then (jKnife) starts with the insults again.

Cyclic - my whole point is that with our FLIR, bodies do indeed stand out well in the water -(head in the water detectable from 750m was the required spec, head in the water detected from 1000m is the actual capability, on the aircraft right now along with the autoscan and, on Mk3A, the ability to couple the autopilot to the RNAV)

Droopystop
26th Feb 2006, 20:32
Crab,

Like I said before, you can couple up the autopilot to fly search patterns in the 61.

Why do you come across as being so crabby about your civvy SAR colleagues? It seems that at some stage in your past either Bristows or the MCA have really disjointed your nose.

26th Feb 2006, 21:48
Droopystop - if I come across as crabby, it is not because I have any beef with the civvy SAR crews at all. The SAR related threads have all tried to compare the capability and cost of military SAR (especially RAF) with that of the existing Bristows S61 at the 4 MCA flights in UK.
In order to back up their opinions on how cheap civvy SAR is, various posters have claimed that the capability of mil and civvy is the same (this is not knocking the skills and commitmment of the MCA crews at all). The capability of the S61 with its equipment fit does not match the RAF Sea Kings in all areas and the crews get a third of the training hours - these facts are conveniently forgotten when the mud slinging starts.

scottishbeefer
27th Feb 2006, 06:56
Crab is right here. But I go back to a previous point. To what level can the bar be lowered to and still give Joe public et al an acceptable service?

FLIR is a fantastic search device (and the RN still haven't got it!) but check the stats, it's nice to have but not essential, compared to how many jobs need NVG (handy for recording those PR moments though!). Give me the latest gen gog's instead, CAPSAT, decent trauma kit. There's lots of stuff that sits above FLIR in real-world utility.

27th Feb 2006, 08:02
scottishbeefer - you are right that it is not essential but there are already people who have been rescued who we probably wouldn't have found had it not been for the FLIR - it is absolutely awesome overland and if my child was missing, this is the piece of kit I would want people using to find him.

What is the level of service you can accept compared to the level you want. We live in a society where competition is supposed to drive up standards and drive down prices but we all know that the truth is you get what you pay for and if the cost is low it is because some corners have been cut.

I have to grudgingly admit SB that your boys played well on Saturday.

JKnife
27th Feb 2006, 08:30
Crab:
Cyclic and J Knife - I was talking about the S61 v the Sea king not the L2 - as ever when a valid point is made (not exactly showing ignorance just stating facts) the other party moves the goalposts and then (jKnife) starts with the insults again.

Fair enough, however, you didn't make that clear in your answer and the original question was about "civvy SAR", hence the replies. Remember, as well as the Bristow/MCA contracts using the S-61, Bond Offshore have now started with their AS332L2s. Although contracted by an oil company, I fully expect they will be used where needed for non-oil related SAR work if they are the nearest asset.

With regard to FLIR, excellent kit and a great asset for searches. However, if the air is moist the capability of the kit reduces. Heat source against rocks should be OK, but looking for a body in the water becomes more difficult and sometimes impossible.

scottishbeefer
27th Feb 2006, 09:10
It'd be great to have everything on board, however...

Was talking to a man in the know a couple of months ago who reminded me that the (Mil) requirement is for a helicopter with a winch - period. Anything else is a (sensible) bonus, so all our EIEC trained crewies etc really hang by a budgetary thread. My answer to him was that there's not much point sending the expensive chopper if you merely bring back a body instead of a casualty. His reponse was they should count themselves lucky they get anything.

Merits in both arguments!

JKnife
27th Feb 2006, 10:28
The capability of the S61 with its equipment fit does not match the RAF Sea Kings in all areas and the crews get a third of the training hours - these facts are conveniently forgotten when the mud slinging starts.

I am still not quite sure what you are getting at here. There are differences to each because they are different types. The S61 has nose radar but not 360 degs. The Sea King doesn't truly have 360 either because of the blind arc (that's why the Norwegian Air Force stuck nose radar on their cabs). S-61s have had FLIR/TV for many years but the RAF has only just got them. S-61s have twin hoists (one electric and one hydraulic), the Sea King has one plus the heave-ho hoist as an emergency back up. The Sea King crews have helmet mounted NVG and NVG compatible cockpits, which is better than the S-61, although the crewmen can use hand held units in the latter. Whether the CAA and MCA will see fit to have NVG cockpits in the S-92 and AW139, I don't know, but let's hope so. Avionics and radio fits are similar with both having VHF/FM and HF, I assume the Sea King must have GPS now that Decca has gone (one or two?). Engine performance is better in the Sea King than in the S-61. Both aircraft have an AFCS system and the S-61's is more flexible than the Sea King 3 and similar to the 3A. Both aircraft have AHT (or AMC as it is known in the S-61). The S-61s winch is behind the pilot, not half way down the fuselage and therefore makes the cabin more spacious. As for medical kit, I would say that both aircraft have similar levels.

While the RAF may get more training hours, I suspect they have a bigger turnover of crews. I do not know what the present manning levels are on a military SAR flight these days, but they were bigger than MCA units. Perhaps another reason for more training hours (more people to keep current).
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to remember that training hours per pilot (apologies to the crewmen here) for the RAF was 10 hours, two hours of which was IF and GH, so 8 hours for SAR training. That is a similar level to MCA units (about an hour difference max probably) given that they have less personnel. Civil units don't have dedicated hours for GH and IF, and IF flying is either part of the low level IF when doing FPC work, or approaches are carried out on return from SAR training sorties. Saying that the MCA units have 6-monthly base checks for aircraft and IF, plus annual winch competency and FPC (AFCS) checks. It doesn't matter what standard you are, you do the same checks at the same intervals, unlike the Cat system in the RAF.

Having lots of hours to train is great, but you also have the possiblilty of over-training where it becomes tedious and boring. That can be as dangerous as not having enough training.

There isn't any mud slinging here, just trying to make sure that there is a balanced argument. Unfortunately, those who have not had the benefit of seeing both sides of the equation tend to only see one side. I remember that view from my time in the military where there were all sorts of stories going around about civilian SAR. I have now seen how biased and unfounded they were. IMHO the civilian crews for CIVILIAN SAR are as good as the military, despite the incorrectly perceived lack of training. However, if you were to bring CSAR in to the argument, then the military have that laid down good and proper, where it should be.

Tourist
27th Feb 2006, 10:44
SAR and CSAR have nothing to do with each other, except utilise some of the same letters.
There are no Red and grey or yellow helicopters involved.

scottishbeefer
27th Feb 2006, 11:33
That blind arc is really not a significant problem. Just makes for a few more clearing turns running in to the target - need a decent Nav/Obs!

The mil (especially RN) probably overtrain on the IF side of life - no bad thing for handling but it's a legacy from bluewater ASW days when we spent long-tedious hours getting in/out of the dip. Things are changing here, and the directives will be become more relevant.

Agree that overtraining with no focus leads to complacency & boredom. Those hours don't always have to utilised though.

What %age of the MCA SAR crews (Captains especially) are pure-bred civvies, vs ex-mil? What is their background?

JKnife
27th Feb 2006, 14:59
SB

Not sure of the exact figures, but I would say that probably still more ex-mil than civil (just). That is changing rapidly, though. There are several new SAR commanders within the MCA with no military experience and they are very good.

SASless
27th Feb 2006, 15:46
JKnife,

Shame on you! How dare you inject reason, logic, and facts into this pig wrestle? How can that be productive?

scottishbeefer
27th Feb 2006, 17:15
Yes, it's easy to get self absorbed in the relatively small and parochial military world, for sure.

Good to know the standard outwith us mil types is good or better (I know a fair few of 'em - they were mainly solid mil types anyway). There's plenty of barely average mil pilots driving rescue choppers as well, so we can't throw too many stones else we shatter the panes!

Have we all agreed that we agree?! The mil/civ relationship is complementary as it stands. The mil like what they've got and don't want to lose it, the civ's would like some more well paid jobs? Both sides of the fence do their respective role well.

Why would you want to mess with that????????????????????

scottishbeefer
27th Feb 2006, 17:36
Now, now - where's that Jungly sense of humour!

It'll be awhile but you'll get your Merlins idc. Once the crabs have discarded theirs. Then you'll have a pukka chopper.

A debate on taxpayers' value for money/military necessity could spawn a thread as long as your list of anti-SAR gripes old chap!

But seriously, as has been said before, if it's going to come down to nothing more than a metric test of value for money, then it's probably time to hang up our spurs isn't it? I think there's a balance to be struck between mil SAR/COMR/MCA and still leave a couple of quid to let the SH mates buy some toys.

Restructure fine, but a bit narrow minded to up-board yet I think.

snakepit
27th Feb 2006, 19:33
To get the taxpayer (me) better value for money?
To spend the MoD budget on military necessetities, most of which are currently chronically underfunded (see other threads) particularly SH?
jungly
Is anybody really naive enough to believe for even one second that the MOD will be allowed to keep any of the money saved by civilianising SAR! If it does go civi it will only be to cut the MOD budget by the amount that mil SAR cost, spend some of the saving on the civi replacement and spend the spare on the new 11 plus or some other :mad: new labour scheme