PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Class 1 prior to Flight Training

Biz
22nd Feb 2006, 09:15
Morning all.
A quick query while I'm stuck at work here.
I gained my Class 1 without issue July 2005. Intended to begin Flight Training soon after, but for various reasons, I did not.
Now, I am in a position where I am flying out to the US late April to begin JAA training from scratch, including initial FAA instruction.
Thus, with my Class 1 coming upto expiry in July, would it worth me renewing prior to April, before I fly out? Would I be able to renewew it out there? Shall I merely exerecise the Class 2 privileges?
I will get a definitive answer from my FTO, but while I'm stuck here at work, I thought I might get some input first.
Many thanks.

BigGrecian
22nd Feb 2006, 16:45
You only need a valid Class 1 for the Commercial issue (And any Commercial flying later) - it slips to a Class 2 in the one year following the expiry of the Class 1. You can renew it with a doc near Ormond Beach as well so if you have any hour building to do you could combine the two. However, believe its slightly more expensive than a renewal in the UK.
You will need an FAA Class 3 Medical to complete training anyway - this goes hand in hand with the student pilot certificate.
See you here shortly.