PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Australia for international students

rykin
22nd Feb 2006, 02:57
Looking to get my PPL in Australia. I am from Singapore. Any recommendations? :O

Also, after acquiring the PPL. What does it take to maintain the CASA PPL? Will it expire? :\

ANDRE25i
22nd Feb 2006, 03:38
Although you didn't specify it in your post, whereabouts in Aus would you prefer?
If you have no dramas with Melbourne, Victoria, there are plenty of flying schools. Its hard to recommend one; ideally you'd visit them yourself and make your own judgement and decision. Maybe TVSA, tarago valley school of aviation, at bacchus marsh. If you find their site, i know of a guy from singapore, who lives on their campus and is getting some advanced diploma of aviation; it might be conveniant from your point of view.
hope that helps, cheers

Charlie Foxtrot India
22nd Feb 2006, 13:28
Wherever you train, make sure you apply for the security checks a looooong time before you arrive.

MBA747
22nd Feb 2006, 14:00
You will find that CAAS recognise training done at Massey University NZ, Oxford Air Training School UK and GFS at Moorabbin Melbourne. The best person to speak to about the above is Fauzia at the CAAS.

Or look at the Far East Forum on PPrune and ask the same question. It will be answered by Singaporeans. At any rate speak to Fauzia from CAAS who will give you accurate info as to who the Singapore authorities recognise.

mach.865
22nd Feb 2006, 14:29
Rykin I assume you have a degree. SQ cadets who are Singaporean, now have to have a degree unless your ex military. They prefer engineering graduates but a degree is a must.

You want to go to a school which have instructors who are uni grads & who can explain the physics behind the aerodynamics and propulsion. A lot of schools in Oz have instructors who have just passed year 12 if that. Its really learn by rote.

You will find GFS instructors are all degree holders and do the QANTAS cadet training. By thw way Fauzia's phone No.is 65412482/ 2483

pilotezulu
22nd Feb 2006, 17:06
Wherever you train, make sure you apply for the security checks a looooong time before you arrive.

the man is right... i just applied for my ASIC (security checks) ... going for the adv.diploma in sydney...crossing my fingers i have the paperwork done right. i sent them everything i could imagine they can use. gosh ........ i wish they made life easier.

anyway, good luck chap.

rykin
23rd Feb 2006, 02:07
Hi guys, thank you all for your replies.

I guess i better look into clearing the security check now. Would not want not being able to go on the dates i want. :suspect: or at all for that matter! :uhoh:

I have checked the websites of TVSA, GFS, Aerospace Aviation, Basair and a few others... all located in melbourne which is fine for me :) . As for TVSA, the flying cost seems low but they website lacked information and I am still waiting for their email reply.

MBA747, you mentioned that CAAS recognises training done at GFS moorabbin, does this mean that i will not need to take any extra exams or the flight handling test to convert? If that is the case, maybe the extra cost is worth it. Guess I'll try calling Fauzia.

mach.865: I will complete my degree this june and intend to head to Australia to get my PPL after that.

Anyone have any comments on Aerospace Aviation? It seems like a good place to goto. :) I know i will have to make my own choice depending on my preference but i would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks again everyone.

Bendy
23rd Feb 2006, 02:18
Rykin

Trained many moons ago with the people who subsequemtly set up Aerospace Aviation. Really very good people and fantastic training. Can't speak from a more recent perspective although i spent a few years working in GA with a chap who used to instruct for them and I would have been happy to have him as an instructor too - so that's that (for what it's worth)

Have fun

Bendy

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 06:35
Its good to hear you've emailed them. Yes it's true, I was aware they had fairly low training costs, compared to competitors around the region.
I think they've got a couple of piper arrows, warriors, c150/152s, a few twin engine ones, +more.They also operate in Moorabbin as you most certainly have found out; which is nearer Melbourne than Bacchus Marsh. However I think lodging is only available at bacchus. :hmm:
If you emailed them the 23rd; then the reason you didn't get an answer is because there closed; thursay is the only day there not open.
best of luck, cheers

tealady
23rd Feb 2006, 08:55
Info from Andre25i is right. Accommodation on the airfield at Bacchus Marsh. Andre25i, the "bloke from Singapore" is Marcus Chan and he landed a cadetship with Singapore Airlines after obtaining his PPL and passing his CPL theory and a couple of ATPL exams as well. In his interviews, the knowledge he gained with the training he did over here really helped - his flying was done in a mix of aircraft - C152, Piper Warrior and Piper Arrow. The name of the institution really does not matter, its the experience and knowledge you acquire and the way in which you use it that counts. Good Luck and enjoy your time in Australia - make sure you get to see a lot of it while you are here.:)

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 09:44
Thanks for that acknowledgment. You dont happen to work for tvsa do you? LOL;)
I'm glad to hear that; he was a tope bloke; worked hard; and if anyone deserved it he did. He wasn't the youngest of cadets as far as I can recollect. Just goes to show; some amazing things can happen. :ok:

Don't quote me on this; but I reckon tvsa have a relatively good track record of employment locations within the majors. (Dont forget this is just a rumour network!) I've done a bit of flying with tvsa; primarily with the aafc; who delivered their flying training in conjunction with tvsa.

cheers

Mere Mortal
24th Feb 2006, 01:50
Rykin, If you want good training, then I suggest TVSA at Bacchus Marsh.
Much better learning enviroment, less traffic hassles and you can stay on site.
As for GFS, ask around and form you own opinion. I have some views about the quality of training, or lack there of, having flown with a few of their instructors on Check flights etc.
Good luck and remember there is a difference between those who just want their licence, and those who want to learn how to fly an aeroplane.
MM
P.S. stay away from RVAC, and no, I don't work for TVSA.

ANDRE25i
25th Feb 2006, 08:46
Don't forget; there are plenty of other flying schools in the region. Don't make the assumption that tvsa is the best one fore you; most conveniant; you wont know until you see for yourself. Palpably; everybody is different; and hence possess differing styles of learning; and have different personality traits.
I do know people who don't particulary like tvsa. Once again; the decision is all yours. We've been talking about Melbourne based flying schools; but dont leave out Sydney; if possible. There's heaps out there.
take it easy.

MBA747
27th Feb 2006, 08:28
Rykin, you have lots of replies. Remember one thing when you look at costs.
Find out how long it takes their students to solo. How long to get a licence, there are some schools who drag out the training so that the initial low hourly rate, actually costs the student more in the long run. Their excuse " We have high standards."

Some schools offer accommodation, however you may have to bunk in with several others.Clean the toilets and carry out other odd jobs. Some instructors mumble and they are hard to understand, check their background. With a degree behind you, ask technical questions on engines and propellers, basic physics in relation to aerodynamics. If there are overseas students there talk to them. Unfortunately they are going to be carefull what they say, because their training can be prolonged if they upset the school. Be wary of the people who champion a school, there are normally aligned with that school, their parents might even own the school. Read their previous posts, some of them are blatantly racist. Read Mere Mortal's previous posts from the drop down menu it says a lot.

rykin
4th Mar 2006, 14:26
Any one have opinions on flying at Jandakot?
Whats the weather like during the months of June/July?
Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.