PDA

View Full Version : SEAIR of Queensland

supersizeme
21st Feb 2006, 17:12
Is anyone able to give me any information regarding SEAIR based at Coolangatta?

I have applied for a job there (non-pilot) and would like to know a bit about them.

Thanks in advance, SSMe.

Chris Higgins
21st Feb 2006, 20:13
I don't know if they've changed at all, but I tried working for 'em in 1987 and was told that I had a job waiting in Townsville with some bloke named Johnston. I turned up and did the training thing, turned spanners in the shop and washed planes...but no paycheck. I wasn't the only one this happened to. They had a couple of crashes. One was the Chief Pilot: think his name was Mike Connors who did a training flight to a lake and didn't tell anyone. They landed with the wheels down and nobody found them for over a week.

Torres
21st Feb 2006, 20:44
1987 and 2006 are a long way apart Mr Higgins. Different owners if not different company.

supersizeme. Seair are known to be a company of integrity and high operating standards. Perhaps you should call P.G. and ask him questions about his operation?

Chris Higgins
21st Feb 2006, 20:51
Hey man, if the shoe fits...maybe it doesn't. Just lettin' you know what happened. You invest in a company and keep the same name, you buy its history too!

Torres No disrespect for P.G. He was actually very nice back then and we did some flying in the Cessna 206 at Expo. It was an unfortunate time for everyone and looking at his website, it looks like he has taken a firm control of the reigns, to not repeat the problems of the past.

ANDRE25i
22nd Feb 2006, 03:08
I know a pilot who works for Seair; if i recollect correctly he flies both Cessna Caravans and Twin Otters out of Coolangatta. He loves it; he lives on the coast, prefers GA, flies over the great barrier reef, has a top time. But, considering he's a pilot; that obviously won't help much.
I don't know enough to make a judgement about their operating standards, performance records, whatever, but from my perspective; what i saw, it looks alright. sure looks can be deceiving, but really, their just cruising along.
cheers

supersizeme
22nd Feb 2006, 05:09
Firstly thanks for the info.

Chris - how were the facilities back then? I am applying for a Sales and Marketing position so would be working in the office I would say.

I read they have recently taken over the lease of Lady Elliot Island. It sort of reminds me of Rottnest over here in WA, is this island a dump or is it a bit nicer?

Torres I would love to call him but the recruitment agency they go through has requested no direct contact with SeAir. I have emailed the agency requesting more info, but as usual no reply three days later. The only reason I am seeking more info is because the guy emailed me the day after my application asking if I could get to the Gold Coast for an interview. I replied yes - and then nothing.

ANDRE thanks for a heads up on the lifestyle. If I got this job I would have to relocate to Coolangatta, which is good for me. Did this pilot originally live in Queensland?

The pay isn't great, but it would set me up experience wise, it also includes free trips to the island and FOC travel (???).

ANDRE25i
22nd Feb 2006, 08:08
No worries;
No as a matter of fact he did his schooling in Melbourne and then moved over there; got his hours up; and landed that job. He prefers it; for all sorts of reasons. Like I said, he's passionate about GA, he lives in a good place with gf not far from coolangatta, close to the coast; flies twin otters/cessna caravans..... flies over the great barrier reef.....
He's another one of those guys who once he got a taste of aviation fuel, got hooked and cant get over it.
cheers

She'l Be Rite
23rd Feb 2006, 10:02
Expect to work long hours and for little remuneration or appreciation... pilots can be expected to spin spanners too for the same respect. I have a close friend who was there not long ago and the vibe was not a good one...

ComeByChance
23rd Feb 2006, 10:46
Don’t forget they had a Nomad run out of fuel and land on the beach near Seaworld a few years back.

Chris Higgins
23rd Feb 2006, 14:41
So what exactly has changed to make this an operation to go to?:confused:

The guy offering the job doesn't want to talk.

Aircraft running out of fuel.

Staff doing "favours" on their days off.

Sounds like a great place?!!

Seabreeze
23rd Feb 2006, 22:04
Seair runs a large number of aircraft and does a lot of hours. The operation is highly professional and runs PAX between Gold Coast and Lady Elliot, and between Hervey bay and Bundaberg and Lady Elliot as well as other local destinations in SE QLD.

GA is a tough gig. Long hours and hard work heh, what else do you expect?
You would get great experience working there: if you have the opportunity grab it with both hands.

good luck

Seabreeze

Chris Higgins
24th Feb 2006, 01:11
Oh..the ol' G/A is a tough gig cry:yuk:

I've got an idea!

Standardise your fleet, so you can have parts and a workforce that knows how to fix and fly things properly..not to mention how much fuel to carry. Have a supporting business plan that allows you to pay a livable salary..and don't discount yourself out of business.

Is it any wonder my wife makes more as a sole proprietor of the business we set her up in than any check-airman in any airline in the world! It astounds me how stupid people get with money around aircraft.

I've only been doing this for 22 years, what would I know?

Supersizeme

I worked for the old company admittedly, when it was tied up with Air Whitsunday. There was something going South in the merger when I got there and I was promised that, "the cheque would be there next Friday". I did 99 landings in the Beaver off Townsville and swam with the Japanese, washed planes and worked in the hangar. The cheque never came. I was only 19, and it certainly didn't hold me back. I hope you're still young enough to gamble that time away as I did. It was five and a half weeks without a pay cheque as I seem to remember. Man was I naive!

The bottom line is that, "If it's not in writing it doesn't exist". Get any offers in writing with an exit clause for refund of moving expenses, and a severance package- minimum one months salary.

You live and you learn!

To answer your question about the Islands up there. They're all beautiful! I don't know if you're single but there are women everywhere!

Torres
24th Feb 2006, 01:48
Now I understand. Chris Higgins and I are a generation apart.

I come from an older generation when small GA operator crews volunteered to occasionally wash aircraft, do compressor washes, answer the phone, check in passengers, load baggage and freight and do the odd jobs, either in slack periods or even - horror of horrors - on the odd day off!! Used to have some great BBQs when the jobs were done. Mind you, in those days everyone got a fair day's pay for a fair day's work!

Should have realised times have changed!

I stand by my statement: PG runs a good operation, safe and of a high standard. Lady Elliot is quality resort on a great island.

Chris Higgins
24th Feb 2006, 01:57
Torres,

I wonder if I should laugh at you..or with you! You don't get it do you? They didn't pay me. There was no "fair days pay". You should have spent more time in school and less time washing planes, you might have learned to read.

Jet A,

The view is just fine! FL 510 looks good too. I fly internationally and domestic here Stateside, and I gladly help load bags and arrange limo's, help kids with the onboard entertainment systems, clean and vacuum the aircraft and restock it with catering, wines, ice and snacks prior to each flight. Our business is one of continual contact with the client that tends to be very rewarding when dealing with the demands of the top one percentile of earning ability in the world.

Thanks for asking.

Torres
24th Feb 2006, 02:36
Chris

Read my post:
I stand by my statement: PG runs a good operation, safe and of a high standard.

Your claim relates to a previous owner a number of years ago who, if memory serves me correctly, vacated the industry when Daddy's money ran out.

Hugh Jarse
24th Feb 2006, 03:17
Hey Torres,

I don't think young Chris knows who you are, or your background in the industry.... :8

This thread is entertaining nonetheless :}

Torres
24th Feb 2006, 03:46
Jarse! :E

And I should clarify: I have not been associated with Seair in any way. Indeed, my sole experience with amphibian aircraft is limited to being a passenger on TAA's Sunbird Service Consolidated Catalina in 1964 and a very small passenger on an Ansett Short Sunderland around a decade earlier!!

She'l Be Rite
24th Feb 2006, 04:27
All this talk will go no where.... experience of posters is irrelevant, sorry Torres, once you've seen it first hand you may know more.... tread with caution!

supersizeme
24th Feb 2006, 08:30
The bottom line is that, "If it's not in writing it doesn't exist". Get any offers in writing with an exit clause for refund of moving expenses, and a severance package- minimum one months salary.
You live and you learn!
To answer your question about the Islands up there. They're all beautiful! I don't know if you're single but there are women everywhere!
tread with caution
Thanks for the heads up!! Some people might be getting stuck into you but it's always good to know the history of the employer. It's a big move for me to make, so the refund clause sounds like a good suggestion. I will have to consider it if I get any further. And yes - single :E
The money isn't great - pretty dismal to be honest. I have just been to another interview here (similar position/different industry) which was paying $12000pa more. I am happy to sacrifice that money because the position description sounds like it was made for me!! And I can't put on a price on the experience it will give me.
Their business is sound and in a few short years they have setup their own mega bucks facility at Cooly and bought Lady Elliot Island
Can you tell me any more about this mega bucks facility? Pretty new office/terminal is it?
Does anyone know what the 'FOC travel' stands for?
Finally got an email back from the agency today, they have fowarded my details/resume to SEAIR and they will contact me from here on in. Hoping for an interview.... :ok:

Chris Higgins
24th Feb 2006, 10:52
Hugh Jarse and Torres,

No disrespect to either one of you. Your contributions in the past have been very good to these forums and its always good to stay in touch with the old country. I understand that you guys think there's a work ethic issue here with this "young pup", but that simply isn't so. They didn't pay, so although there was work performed there was no remuneration.

The money from Melbourne ran out, I'm sure the crashes didn't help, nor the coverage on 60 minutes.

"Its a new operation, with new owners".

With old ideas if your idea of a day off is spent at the office. There are all kinds of Human Factors, health and safety, divorce statistics, CASA duty time regs and rest requirements why pilots shouldn't be seen anywhere around the office on their days off. Me: I'll be skiing with my wife, racing one of five motorcycles with my kids, attending a swim carnival as a referee or taking ballroom dancing classes. Not drinking myself into a stupor at an airport barbeque! There is a life outside of aviation.

When there's work to be done, sure go to work, I enjoy the flying and take it quite seriously. I expect to be treated seriously on pay day, which is why I've never paid for a job and always left at the first sign of a retrenchment.

People should learn to run their lives as a business, not some romantic situational comedy, then there would be less of this crap going on in general aviation.

I had good times in Australia, and I enjoyed the flying in Alice Springs, Mt Isa, Port Macquarie and Bankstown. Each job represented its own experiences, but there was only one G/A operator I ever got screwed over at: Seair Pacific!

BEACH KING
24th Feb 2006, 23:34
Chris,

Good to see you enjoy it over there in the US.
I reckon you would fit in really well .
Nice to Know that you live there

Torres
24th Feb 2006, 23:41
Supersize. Money isn't everything!! Remuneration has never been my primary consideration in accepting a position. I live very well and had buckets of satisfaction from all my work positions over many decades.

Chris Higgins
25th Feb 2006, 01:29
Beach "King"

Thanks for being the subject of your very first post. I do go back to Australia quite often. Perhaps we could take my oldest son to the reef for some snorkelling?

Torres

Couldn't agree with you more about the chasing of the dollar thing, but if you enjoy what your doing, you should be paid properly for doing it.