PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Mallard

Sturmvogel
21st Feb 2006, 15:22
Maybe the subject has been covered already on this forum, but if so I cannot find it:
The Chalks Airline’s Grumman Mallard accident last December:
A tragedy both for the bereaved of the 20 passengers / crew and for the airline, which I believe is ‘the worlds oldest airline’, and had not had a passenger fatality until this accident occurred.
Their future, the remaining Mallard fleet grounded pending investigation, looks bleak. A very sad situation as, from my own experience in the 1980’s will confirm, a flight in one of their beautiful seaplanes, from Watson’s Island, Miami, to Bimini in the Bahamas, was a memorable and enjoyable experience. In those days most of the Mallards retained their original Pratt and Whitney radial engines- one of the reasons I was keen to fly this Chalks service! (When offered a seat on one of the Turbo-Mallards they had just had converted I declined. The aeroplane had lost much its character for me with such a conversion.)
I remember thinking as we bumped and splashed across Miami harbour at high speed, water over the windscreens, piston engines full power, that this is one tough aeroplane-a smaller DC3 almost, and I felt complete confidence in the Mallard, taking the controls for a time in the flight, although they didn’t trust me with a landing at Bimini as my rating was hardly adequate. (Although I am told that the Mallard is very versatile and can water land in three feet of water!)
How tragic that one has now failed structurally (it seems-nothing is certain until the accident report is concluded). I wonder if the Turbo conversion was a contributory factor? Presumably the increased thrust of the turboprop engines must have stressed the airframe a little more.
Let’s hope the cause of the wing failure is found and these few remaining beautiful 1940’s craft can get back in the air on passenger carrying work with their full confidence. Its going to be very difficult for Chalks though.

PaperTiger
21st Feb 2006, 15:29
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202866

Sturmvogel
21st Feb 2006, 15:35
ouch-thanks-I couldn't find the thread for some reason-haven't visited the forum for a while.

BOAC
21st Feb 2006, 16:14
All please remember default search only goes back 1 month!

That post 19/12/05

QED:ok:

Synthetic
21st Feb 2006, 21:25
Is there a way of searching back further? I tried to find something older the other day, but could not.

BOAC
21st Feb 2006, 21:39
Advanced search

barit1
22nd Feb 2006, 01:53
...I wonder if the Turbo conversion was a contributory factor? Presumably the increased thrust of the turboprop engines must have stressed the airframe a little more...

Increased stress? Not necessarily - If it gets off the water quicker there is less pounding/fatigue excitation.