PDA

View Full Version : Will the A4000M be quieter than the C130?

GengisKhant
21st Feb 2006, 13:49
Background statement release from Ultra...., and some up to date info on the current position re the A400M... Enjoy

Ultra announces that its Controls business, based in Greenford, Middlesex and in Cambridge, has been awarded a contract worth in excess of £35m to supply its active noise and vibration control system for the Airbus A400M military transport aircraft.
Ultras innovative Tuned Vibration Absorber System (TVAS) will substantially reduce the noise in the cargo bay area of the A400M and will protect troops carried in the aircraft from the noise of the powerful propellers. The TVAS will control active vibration absorbers attached to the fuselage. These active vibration absorbers will provide a local reduction of the vibration of the fuselage at the point where they are attached. In addition, a central electronic controller will co-ordinate the operation of all of the devices to reduce the propeller noise penetrating into the cargo bay area. The system will be based upon active and semi-active technology which Ultra has developed over more than 20 years and is in operational service on more than 800 turboprop aircraft.
Airbus Militarys order book currently stands at 192 A400M turboprop transport aircraft, including 180 for the seven European launch nations. The programme, formally launched in May 2003, will lead to a first flight in 2008 and to first deliveries in 2009. The A400M will play an essential role in enhancing Europes airlift capabilities, enabling common support, training and operational procedures and providing greater interoperability in multi-national humanitarian and peace-keeping missions. South Africa and Malaysia have joined the A400M programme, ordering 12 aircraft, and it is expected that other air forces around the world will choose the A400M to replace their aging fleets of military airlifters.:ok:

Talking Radalt
21st Feb 2006, 13:52
There's no nav so less whining one presumes? :}

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2006, 14:08
Nice of them to think of the grunts in the back, but despite some longish trips in Albert (Lyneham to Eglin AFB being one) I can't say that I ever expected it to be quiet. I appreciated the 6 seconds of peace under a billowing canopy all the more :E

monkeybumhead
21st Feb 2006, 14:43
Of course it will be quieter, the damn thing doesn't exist yet. Or does it?

Smudger552
21st Feb 2006, 15:18
With frills like that no wonder Airbus are struggling to reduce the ac weight by 11 tons!:bored:

endplay
21st Feb 2006, 15:40
Having been hauled as baggage all around the world in the mighty Herc I would certainly appreciate not having to choose between being deafened or freezing to death. Of greater importance however, will you be able to sling a hammock? You can't in the C17 as far as I'm aware which is a major failing.

GengisKhant
21st Feb 2006, 15:54
Yes you can..., providing you work out the tie-down scheme and secure the pallets in the right places.....:ok:

highveldtdrifter
21st Feb 2006, 23:27
The answer is they don't really know yet. Airbus have only just run the first engine/prop combo. However, noise may become a problem, given new EU H&S legislation. Running at a slightly reduced prop RPM may be an option.

MarkD
22nd Feb 2006, 03:34
Presume this is something like Bombardier's NVS on the Q400?

Clockwork Mouse
22nd Feb 2006, 07:51
Will it have a proper loo?