PDA

View Full Version : working for Australian airline/airport

shamrock7seal
21st Feb 2006, 10:56
Can anyone inform me of the reaction of australian companies when faced with the prospect of employing British people? I have a visa to live in Australia, because I am the spouse of a citizen - but what likelihood is there that a British person will be given fair game at positions available?

chief wiggum
21st Feb 2006, 22:10
are you male or female ?

Capt Claret
21st Feb 2006, 22:30
Shamrock,

Most likely you will be judged on how you present and not from where you present. Some may take the p!ss, as Australians are want to do, but mostly this will be good natured.

A very good likelyhood of being given "fair game".

vortsa
21st Feb 2006, 23:24
Word of warning dont come here telling us that we are doing it all wrong and that they do it better back in UK. Doesnt go down well, and will get you no where. What I suggest is:-

1. offer to have a BBQ at your place and invite all new colleagues for chop.
2. always keep your fridge full of beer and dont hesitate to open it when friends come around
3. if you buy bottled beer never put the top on and put a half full bottle back in fridge
4. offer to swap shifts to help out your colleagues when they want a day off.
5. leave your tool box open
6.start a car pool and pick up as many colleagues on the way to work
7.once a month buy pizzas for all your colleagues at work.
8.never sit in the foremans office and talk about others
9.never wake a colleague to meet his a/c go and do it for him
10.become a union rep, ( most poms{Bits} do)

CIA Stooge
21st Feb 2006, 23:44
and don't talk about Soccer all the time :bored:

chief wiggum
22nd Feb 2006, 01:10
In Australia:
bathing is not frowned upon,
beer should be drunk cold,
a "kipper" is a short sleep,
30C is not hot,
football means something other than soccer (depending on which state you live in),
a stiff upper lip is usually the result of a botched botox operation,
and mad cow disease is not neccesarily a bovine ailment.

Woomera
22nd Feb 2006, 01:30
Shamrock

There's some top Aussie advice in this thread!!!

:} :} :}

I think the lads are trying to tell you that if you have a problem in Australia its likely to be of your own doing.......!

Woomera

drshmoo
22nd Feb 2006, 05:20
And bring some Essex girls for the boys!!!!:}

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Feb 2006, 05:48
The Bill is on Tuesday and Saturday nights on ABC at 8:30pm. It's about 7 to 8 months behind the motherland.

Oh.. and soccer is the only real football :} :ok:

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2006, 08:19
wow, thanks for the response guys - thats really helped me get an idea. i've worked with Aussies before and loved them - great sense of humour and always reliable and dependable. I'm certainly looking forward to re-locating to Oz and hunting for a job. My line of work is route and network development/planning/marketing/communications etc, so i'm sure there will be something out there.

as long as i don't winge (pom style) or shout about how good it is in the UK (NOT!!!!). Avoiding conversation about footie is no problem for me!

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Feb 2006, 08:25
I don't mind talking football as long as it's about Perth Glory! (http://www.perthglory.com.au/) :ok:

What city are you going to be moving to?

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2006, 08:29
well, i'm hoping somewhere in or around Sydney as that is where my partner's from. However we have both agreed that depending on the type of opportunity, I would consider any part of the country. I would rule out central Australia. I'm currently researching companies along the eastern coast. Any recommendations?

Hawk
22nd Feb 2006, 10:01
I moved your thread from Airlines, Airports and Routes Forum because I thought you might receive some straight forward answers as to your prospects in the Dunnunda Forum. I'm pleased you are happy with the responses. The Ozzers are pretty good at giving those that want to make a genuine new start, "a fair go".

Good luck to you. :ok:
cheers
Hawk

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2006, 10:27
Hawk

I appreciate that, thanks man.

I'll let you all know how I get on!

Cheers

Woomera
22nd Feb 2006, 10:48
Hawk. Moderatrix. "thanks man"?

Real men don't wear Annick Goutal Dunnunda, except at Gay Mardi Gras time!!!

Shamrock, bad start to life in Australia!!!!

:} :} :}

And .... you rule out Central Australia you probably just eliminated 50% of the companies than may have given you a start! Hint: Why don't you come for a look-see? I think I'd actually prefer most of "central Australia" to your partner's home town.

Woomera

Ooops. Sorry. Just realised you are not a pilot so you may get a job in Sydney. I presume you realise if you go to Sydney you will need a Visa to visit other States?

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2006, 11:30
G'day mates! (is that better?)

well im looking at Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Townsville, Virgin Blue, Qantas, Australian Airlines, Jetstar, OzJet, Pacificblue, O'connor Airlines, Skywest, Regional Link, Air North, Regional Express, Bigskyexpress, Jetconnect and Qantaslink.

ideally i would like to work with Virginblue (Brisbane) but got a feeling everyone else does too.

Sydney Airport have a route development department?

Keg
22nd Feb 2006, 13:40
G'day mates! (is that better?)?

Mate, you've done pretty well so far but the one word of advice is to never, ever try and put on Aussie slang. There aren't many people that can do it without looking like a pork chop. A Pom gong for an aussie 'mate', 'bewdy', 'fair dinkum', 'strewth' or 'sheila' is just trying to hard. A pucker 'hello' is all you need to worry about shags. :} :cool:

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2006, 13:45
ok, advice taken on board. I won't ask what 'shags' means - im sure its meant affectionately.

do people still watch Neighbours and Home and Away over there??? or Eastenders??? I might get home-sick and need to catch up on the depression of dark, dismal, damp, drizzly London...

OzExpat
23rd Feb 2006, 07:03
I'd very much doubt it because route development is, in the first instance, an initiative of the airlines. This process occasionally involves various government agencies, including CASA and maybe AirServices Australia, in the negotiations.

Sydney Airport is a business that will undoubtedly seek to encourage more inbound traffic because that's a major source of its revenue. Therefore, it may be involved in some of the planning approval processes but most unlikely that it will have personnel who are dedicated to route development. Thus, I reckon your best option is to try the airlines.

As for THOSE TV programs. If you're asking whether those shows are on TV in Oz, the answer is yes. Whether or not anyone actually watches them is open to debate... :}

SkySista
23rd Feb 2006, 07:41
There's also National Jet Systems in ADL/PER/CNS... depending of course on what you want to do...

NJS advertised last week for ground staff (aircraft turnaround/servicing etc) for Perth, so...

Skywest were advertising for some sort of Ops position aehile ago, but I think that one's been filled... and of course you could always apply for one of the contract companies here like AeroCare or Skystar (ground handling/some ops for Virgin Blue/Skywest & SQ/EK etc respectively)

If you know anyone back home who likes those tv shows... you can bribe them to do whatever you want by threatening to spoil the next 6 months as apparently we are ahead of the UK... (who would've guessed...!)

Bort Simpson
1st Mar 2006, 03:53

Sydney Airport (SACL) don't have a route development dept but they do have various personnel working in the allocation of bays for the various aircraft that come and go each day. At the moment there are only three jobs advertised on the SACL website. These are all in the retail/duty free areas of the airport.

On the other hand, there is an organisation that I beleive is based in Sydney that deals with the various slot allocation negotiations between airlines and airport operators. They are independant of the airport and the airlines but obviously work in very closely with both. I had a representative of this ogranisation come into one of my classes whilst I was at Uni and he explained all about the opertion and conflicting pressures on international slot allocation etc. Not sure if this is your cup of tea, or if there is anything going in this but it wouldn't hurt to look at it if it is for you.

Lucky you... I have just found my uni notes on this topic. The company name is Airport Coordination Australia (ACA) and the CEO (the bloke who ventured out in the University land) is Ernst J. Krolke. I don't have any contact details for you but there is always the internet search option.

Hope this helps
Bort.