PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flights to South Africa

MD12
20th Feb 2006, 19:03
Any idea on what is the cheapest airline flying to South Africa? I know it depends on date of flight, anticipation, etc.. but generally speaking?

Thanks

Leezyjet
20th Feb 2006, 19:27
Could try Nationwide from LGW. They operate 3x weekly on a B763.

Failing that then it's either VS/BA or SA direct from the UK, or various carriers if you want to connect in Europe.

:)

PAXboy
21st Feb 2006, 18:16
The cheapest is usually the indirects: LH; KL; AF; etc. If you want directs then I agree that Nationwide is probably your best bet - but with only three rotations a week, there is very limited capacity.

From LHR, the three main carriers run something like 25 to JNB and 12 to CPT per week in the high season. Whilst that is a lot of capacity, that is because there is a lot of demand!

If you have accomodation, consider a package and binning the hotel coupon.

5711N0205W
22nd Feb 2006, 11:40
Heading to JNB from ABZ later next month with AF via CDG. This flight is actually cheaper than the ABZ - CDG return I shall be making in 2 weeks.....

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2006, 01:31
Starting in October of this year, Fly Globespan as announced MAN ~ CPT with three rotations per week. Seems like it is to emulate the Nationwide route from LGW. This was announced in a thread in Airports, Routes etc.

If they get this going, I expect that they will do good business.

manintheback
23rd Feb 2006, 08:20
Ok

As I went through this process a few weeks ago for my Mother (thread elsewhere).

Nationwide is by far the cheapest for what looks like old style business or a premium economy type flight, and given that its direct from Gatwick, for time and money - also the cheapest in economy.

But no reports back yet as to the quality of.

Indirect, all the routes were a pain - just adding too many hours to the journey to make it worth while. Routing via CDG has its issues, baggage tends to disappear with alarming regularity.

Avoid SAA. Virgin and BA similar at the back and they do have occasional very good value sales.

Globaliser
23rd Feb 2006, 17:35
Virgin and BA similar at the back and they do have occasional very good value sales.BA has one running right at the moment, as it happens. www.ba.com/worldoffer - requires registration with the website or login with Executive Club number. Book by midnight tomorrow, Friday 24 Feb.

CPT for £509 all in (£729 in WT+), outbound travel 1 to 31 May.
JNB for £479 all in (£699 in WT+), outbound travel 18 Feb to 31 Mar or 12 Apr to 31 May.