PDA

View Full Version : Change of runway in use...

Ian_Wannabe
20th Feb 2006, 18:20
Hey - Whilst flying today at an airfield with multiple runways the winds changed and therefore the runway in use changed.

Now, I was on final for 11 and the runway changed to 01 - this wasn't too much of a hassle as it just meant some swings and rounadabouts to reposition....

However, I sometimes take a while to visualize the runway cct direction in my head and when you're in the cct its no time to be slow!

So experienced PPLs out there, do you have any tips, dos and donts whilst changing cct direction to land on a different runway? Im hoping I can learn from you guys yet again.....

Cheers

Ian

Chilli Monster
20th Feb 2006, 19:17
If the runway was changed whilst you were on final why did you re-position? Runway changes aren't instant - if you're on final then you're on final, end of story. Think to yourself - if an airfield changes while you're on final - is there actually going to be anyone final to the cross runway? No.

Dependent on where other aircraft were in the circuit there is a point where you decide who's going to be for the old runway, who's going to be for the new runway, and anyone who taxi's from that point of decision (not before, obviously) goes for the new one.

If you were doing circuits - never a problem. Touch and go on the old runway and then join straight downwind for the new (if it's a Left Hand Circuit with the directions you say) or extend slightly upwind to sort yourself out, turn right to re-position crosswind if 11 was a Right Hand Circuit.

Having you go-around whilst on final because a runway change is poorly managed is extremely poor practice.

172driver
20th Feb 2006, 21:26
Wannabe, as you were on final, you were presumably cleared to land - and you do just that, end of story.

Andy_RR
20th Feb 2006, 21:47
maybe Ian was advised to "land at your discretion",

...or perhaps he was informed there was "no known traffic"

Even if he was "cleared to land", it wouldn't have been an instruction, rather a granting of permission to do so.

The ultimate decision rests with the pilot who is captain of his little ship, the point being just because you're on final, it isn't the end of the story!

Sorry to be picky! :)

Keygrip
20th Feb 2006, 22:17
Not picky Andy RR - correct.

I was on short final for runway 36 last week, PA44, ATC cleared me to land or touch and go (my option) but then announced that the runway was changing (for the next touch and go) to runway 27, as the surface winds were now 260/19.

Despite the thread on "demonstrated" cross wind landing components, I went around, as 19 is greater than the 17 that the book suggests.

Captains choice.

Ian_Wannabe
20th Feb 2006, 23:17
Sorry I probably should have mentioned that it was a R/T aerodrome....

Basically, my instructor told me to initiate a go-around as we were carrying out a touch and go on 11. After I did this we turned to establish ourselves on late downwind for 01.

But my question lies within the "what if" the runway change was more complex....

DB6
21st Feb 2006, 07:43
If in doubt leave the circuit, fly to the local area, collect your thoughts and then call for rejoin for the new runway. Not a player if you've only been signed off solo in the circuit but then, if you've not been briefed on it in advance, your instrutor or ATC will help over the R/T.

FlyingForFun
21st Feb 2006, 15:17
If the circuit direction is left hand, keep the airfield on your left. It if it is right hand, keep the airfield on your right.

The more difficult part of the problem is working out which side of the airfield is the side which cicuits are flown on (the live side), which end of the runway to land (related to which side is the live side), and possibly which runway it is that's being used if there are several.

My best tip to help with this is to use the DI to help. If it's runway 01, then you will land heading roughly 010. So find 010 on your DI, and draw an imaginary line through this heading. Then look out the window and find a runway which goes that same way. Now you've identified the runway, and also the landing direction. By combining that with my left hand circuits, airfield on the left rule you should be able to work out which side of the runway to fly circuits on, but if you're not sure, imagine taking off from the runway and turning into the circuit.

Hope that's some help - it sounds like an easy problem, but it can be very confusing, particularly at an airfield you're not familiar with.

FFF
--------------

172driver
21st Feb 2006, 20:19
Even if he was "cleared to land", it wouldn't have been an instruction, rather a granting of permission to do so.
The ultimate decision rests with the pilot who is captain of his little ship, the point being just because you're on final, it isn't the end of the story!
Sorry to be picky! :)

Absolutely correct! Just the way the original post was phrased led me to believe Wannabe understood the change-of-runway as instruction.