PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer marshalls

Critical Reynolds No
19th Feb 2006, 20:49
If you are a volunteer "aircraft" marshaller at an airshow for the day, should you not have an idea on how to actually marshall aircraft? This happened at Tyabb:
A tail dragger arrived and was "marshalled" to the parking area with a point of the finger. Now the draggie turned right onto the taxiway, only to run over a marker (which was an old aircraft tyre) with the right main followed the tail wheel. The pilot looked at the marshall with a "What the $$%^ was that?". The marshall replied with the international sign of she's apples. Now this guy was in front of the aircraft and could see what was going to happen. Hmm anyway whinge over.

Speaking of markers getting hit, a runway marker got cleaned up by the Yak-50 on the landing run. Appeared to be an old car tyre with a light in it. I bet there was some damage to the aircraft.

Classic of the day, before the show started. Some local was riding his push bike on the other side of the crowd line fence down the taxiway. The marshalls told him to go back around and on the other side of the fence. Local says "why?". Marshall says "There are CASA observers here and they are looking for any excuse to shut us down!!".

Lord Snot
19th Feb 2006, 22:36
Why would an air marshal have to know how to marshal aircraft??

Oh you meant a marshaller...! Yeah I suppose they should have a clue but it's still up to the PIC to ensure the safe operation of his aircraft.

Free marshallers - I guess the pilot got what the organisers paid for.

UnderneathTheRadar
19th Feb 2006, 23:27
Marshalled with a 'point of a finger'? If that's the help you're getting then it's pretty obviously not precise guidance info but merely 'park over there please'. PIC's job to avoid lumpy bits.........

UTR

PS friendly CASA officals made it quite clear in advance that only authorised people were allowed airside and that they could/would pull the pin at any time.....

globallocal
20th Feb 2006, 05:27
just a question

Did Pratts A109 (VH-VIS) make an apperance?? or did it keep a low profile??

globallocal
20th Feb 2006, 05:37
"Quiet"

You Obviously don't live in the area or you are an advocate of it using Tyabb??

and just asking a question no malice involved. I know what a stir it has caused in the past.

rmcdonal
20th Feb 2006, 09:07
Then to top it all off a Roulette does his solo display flying straight over the crowd in breach of CASA rules, but yet allowed to because RAAF over-ride CASA regulations.%#$@#??

Note: The big "C" in CASA stands for Civil. :}
The "AF" in RAAF stands for Air Force. :rolleyes:
Therefore by powers of deduction is not subject to CASA rules. :ok:

Disco Stu
20th Feb 2006, 09:21
Squawk7700, if you feel so strongly about the situation as you perceive it, then a well researched and professionally written 'alternative' regulatory environment presented to CASA would surely indicate your preparedness to 'right' an obviously 'wrong' present environment.

Good Luck.

Suggest you leave out the emotive bits like "rich toy-boy's playground " and "no regard for residents" and "beatups, aero's, low-level stuff non-stop". That is unless you can define and demonstrate these statements. Please explain this bit "I know how everyone feels", do you, how? pray tell. Then again you state "Warbirds have a far from perfect safety record." For that matter neither does the 747 series, the 737, 727, 707 and numerous other aircraft manufacturers products. Perhaps you should also include them in you regulatory endeavours.

Again Good luck:ok:

Disco Stu

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Feb 2006, 11:23
This is just another case of PPNV:}

colt_pa22
21st Feb 2006, 03:46
Is that a safe ex-military aircraft, considering they stopped making them "many" decades ago? - I don't think so.

Is Ozjet safe flying 30 year old 737's, Qantas flying 20 year old 747’s? Of course. As long as these aircraft, no matter how old, are maintained properly there should be no airworthiness issues.

VH-XXX, as you suggesting the owners of the war birds at Tyabb skimp on maintenance at the mercy of surrounding residents?

colt

Blue Sky Baron
21st Feb 2006, 05:13
JUST TO CORRECT SOME EMOTIVE MIS-INFORMATION

Regardless of how long the runway is, or might be at Tyabb, there will never be any fixed wing jets flying there. As part of its permit, there are no fixed wing jet operations permitted. PERIOD!

As for your assertion that these aircraft are unsafe, I would suggest that you should think again. I've seen many regular 'aircraft' maintained to a much lower standard around this country. Yes, most of the owners are not 'financially challenged', but this also means they can afford to spend the dollars where required.

Also, I would like to point out that Tyabb was built 40 odd years ago, designed to be an airpark, which meant that there were virtually no homes bounding the airfield at the time, any local complaining now about the noise has moved there since, so who is to blame? :confused:

As for the helicopter operating there - isn't that where aircraft SHOULD be operated from? It cannot operate anywhere else on the Peninsula as the local council has dug itself into a big hole and wont allow it to land anywhere else! :hmm:

I've operated from Tyabb for over 30 odd years and can attest to its great (but not perfect) safety record, sure the odd bent a/c but no serious injuries - ever. :ok:

... and just to clarify, no I don't fly a warbird.

BSB

Sorry to continue with the off topic discussion. :cool:

Disco Stu
21st Feb 2006, 06:11
VH-XXX, I have not missed Squarks point.

He posted a statement "Warbirds have a far from perfect safety record."

I actually implied agreement with my comment "For that matter neither does the 747 series, the 737, 727, 707 and numerous other aircraft manufacturers products".

I will simply add, I only know of one aircraft type (there could be more) that actually has a perfect safety record (none lost) and it was designed built and still being flown in Australia.

Squarks post seems to be more emotive than substantive. My wife reckons it's just sour grapes on his part.

Disco Stu

Lord Snot
21st Feb 2006, 08:31
I only know of one aircraft type (there could be more) that actually has a perfect safety record (none lost) and it was designed built and still being flown in AustraliaWhat about the B777?

What about the B-2?

What about the Spruce Goose?

Disco Stu
21st Feb 2006, 09:48
I did say there could be more:confused:

Disco Stu

bonzaman
21st Feb 2006, 20:25
Squark 7700

I am interested to know if you have ever been to Tyabb.
It is the home of a unique group of aircraft owned and operated by a group of people, none of which would fit the description "rich toy boys", whatever that means.
A major part of their endevour is to preserve significant examples of our aviation history and the recently held, and highly successful, Tyabb Air Show is an example of that.
I do not know what your role in aviation is, however it is clear from your written word that you do not see any value in the preservation of aviation history, my guess would be that you see aviation as best confined to the commercial sector.
Turning to your comments on the supposed suffering of the local residents, it is also clear that you have either been listening to the arguments of the group dedicated to closing Tyabb airport, or alternativly you are a member of them.

828a
22nd Feb 2006, 01:52
It seems to me that the best course of action for the old women who are complaining here would be for them to stay at home with their knitting. This would avoid them being exposed to the noise and the hazards they perceive and their non aviation mentality would stay undisturbed.
828a
P.S. bonzaman: Don't expect a lucid reply from Squark 7700.He's on the other side of the fence and does not understand.

bonzaman
22nd Feb 2006, 02:33
Thanks 828a, I had a suspician that was the case. I am surprised and dissapointed at the number of people who had their start in General Aviation and then turn their back on it.

Blue Sky Baron
22nd Feb 2006, 03:53
Squawk7700,

I sincerely hope that CASA don't park at the end of the runway as there are lots of no standing signs at the end of the runway and I'm sure they would not break any rules - or would they?

BTW, Squawk, are you a member of the Aero Club? If not, may I suggest you stop sponging off the members who's hard earned money provides the runway you use. Remember this is a PRIVATELY OWNED AIRFIELD owned by the members of the Aero Club, only a minority of which own warbirds.
Put up or shut up! :mad:

BSB

bonzaman
22nd Feb 2006, 04:36
"Squarker", how apt!!! Let me tell you that your "friends in CASA" have been feeding you wrong information. In fact the only bit you got right on the subject of the runway development is that the surface is bitumen.
I am aware of all of the details of the runway development at Tyabb and if you are a member of the club I will be happy to make them available to you.
For the purposes of this forum I can tell you that the project was approved at an AGM at which all members of the club were entitled to vote. It was approved by an overwhelming majority of members.
There is no agreement with the "warbirds" or any other organisation outside of the PAC.
The financing came from an impecable sourse with a 20 year repayment schedule. At the present rate of progress the debt is likely to be repaid completly within 5 years.
The present committee, the majority of which do not own warbirds, are planning further infrastucture improvements. Not bad for a club you alledge is about to go into liquidation.
"Squarker" I am still intriqued as to your motivation for your apparent anti Tyabb attitude.

rocket54
23rd Feb 2006, 21:27
This being a "rumour" forum I guess the truth is not of interest to people like Squawk7700 and VMC4ME.

The Tyabb Air Show was a great success. It raised a considerable sum of money for local charities. I wonder how much money is raised for charity by the "other" school VMC4ME is talking about. Tyabb also has a very busy student program with one of the local schools, again something that I don't see other local operators doing. Tyabb is a small field with over 130 aircraft based there. Yes hangarage is not cheap, because the price of hangaring an aircraft is dictated by market demand. The distance from Melbourne has nothing to do with it. The PAC owns the airfield. It is probably one of the most financially stable clubs in Victoria and doesn't have to rely on a restaurant to keep it going.

As for Squawk7700, there are 15,000 residents in the area around Tyabb. A handfull of them are trying to close the field down. The other 14,990 are supportive and appreciative of the work that the PAC does for the local community. Over the years PAC has raised welll over $200,000 for local causes and it continues to raise more with its bienial airshows.

As for Sqauwks assertion that the warbirds at Tyabb are maintained to an inferior status, if some of the 30 year old commuter aircraft he mentions were rebuilt to the standards that the warbirds are restored and maintained to then most commuter airlines would go bust.

This forum is for aviation related discussions if you want to run a political campaign against an aerodrome then move to Canberra and start a political party. Everyone in Tyabb will contribute to your moving costs!

CIA Stooge
23rd Feb 2006, 23:29
if you want to run a political campaign against an aerodrome then move to Canberra and start a political party. Everyone in Tyabb will contribute to your moving costs!
Jeez we have enough parasites in this town, we don't need more. he can start a political party from wherever he likes - no need to move here. :)

rocket54
24th Feb 2006, 09:59
Sorry CIA stooge, you're right maybe he can move to....come to think of it no one likes a squawker.

FL_RoofTop
27th Feb 2006, 11:31
Quote Rocket54:

"It is probably one of the most financially stable clubs in Victoria and doesn't have to rely on a restaurant to keep it going."

Yeah, but it's the best crayfish anywhere in Melbourne!