PDA

View Full Version : Just an Old Geezer lost in the past? (Veteran on Parade)

SASless
19th Feb 2006, 13:08
When you see an old fella wearing his Sunday Suit with some Gongs hanging on the jacket....what do you think about?

Here's what the one American Doctor has to say....

From a Military Doctor

I am a doctor specializing in Emergency Medicine in the Emergency Departments of the only two military Level One-trauma centers. They are both in San Antonio, TX and they care for civilian Emergencies as well as military personnel. San Antonio has the largest military retiree population in the world living here, because of the location of these two large military medical centers. As a military doctor in training for my specialty, I work long hours and the pay is less than glamorous.

One tends to become jaded by the long hours, lack of sleep, food, family contact and the endless parade of human suffering passing before you. The arrival of another ambulance does not mean more pay, only more work.

Most often, it is a victim from a motor vehicle crash. Often it is a person of dubious character who has been shot or stabbed. With our large military retiree population, it is often a nursing home patient.

Even with my enlisted service and minimal combat experience in Panama, prior to medical school, I have caught myself groaning when the ambulance brought in yet another sick, elderly person from one of the local retirement centers that cater to military retirees. I had not stopped to think of what citizens of this age group represented.

I saw "Saving Private Ryan." I was touched deeply. Not so much by the carnage in the first 30 minutes, but by the sacrifices of so many. I was touched most by the scene of the elderly survivor at the graveside, asking his wife if he'd been a good man. I realized that I had seen these same men and women coming through my Emergency Dept. and had not realized what magnificent sacrifices they had made. The things they did for me and everyone else that has lived on this planet since the end of that conflict are priceless.

Situation permitting, I now try to ask my patients about their experiences. They would never bring up the subject without the inquiry. I have been privileged to an amazing array of experiences, recounted in the brief minutes allowed in an Emergency Dept. encounter. These experiences have revealed the incredible individuals I have had the honor of serving in a medical capacity, many on their last admission to the hospital.

There was a frail, elderly woman who reassured my young enlisted medic, trying to start an IV line in her arm. She remained calm and poised, despite her illness and the multiple needle-sticks into her fragile veins. She was what we call a "hard stick." As the medic made another attempt, I noticed a number tattooed across her forearm. I touched it with one finger and looked into her eyes. She simply said "Auschwitz." Many of later generations would have loudly and openly berated the young medic in his many attempts. How different was the response from this person who'd seen unspeakable suffering.

Also, there was this long retired Colonel, who as a young officer had parachuted from his burning plane over a Pacific Island held by the Japanese. Now an octogenarian, his head cut in a fall at home where he lived alone. His CT scan and suturing had been delayed until after midnight by the usual parade of high priority ambulance patients.
Still spry for his age, he asked to use the phone to call a taxi, to take him home, then he realized his ambulance had brought him without his wallet.

He asked if he could use the phone to make a long distance call to his daughter who lived 7 miles away. With great pride we told him that he could not, as he'd done enough for his country and the least we could do was get him a taxi home, even if we had to pay for it ourselves. My only regret was that my shift wouldn't end for several hours, and I couldn't drive him myself.

I was there the night MSgt. Roy Benavidez came through the Emergency Dept. for the last time.
He was very sick. I was not the doctor taking care of him, but I walked to his bedside and took his hand. I said nothing. He was so sick, he didn't know I was there.
I'd read his Congressional Medal of Honor citation and wanted to shake his hand. He died a few days later.

The gentleman who served with Merrill's Marauders, the survivor of the Baatan Death March, the survivor of Omaha Beach, the 101 year old World War I veteran, the former POW held in frozen North Korea, the former Special Forces medic - now with non-operable liver cancer, the former Viet Nam Corps Commander. I remember these citizens.

I may still groan when yet another ambulance comes in, but now I am much more aware of what an honor it is to serve these particular men and women. I am angered at the cut backs, implemented and proposed, that will continue to decay their meager retirement benefits.

I see the President and Congress who would turn their back on these individuals, who've sacrificed so much to protect our liberty. I see later generations that seem to be totally engrossed in abusing these same liberties, won with such sacrifice.

It has become my personal endeavor, to make the nurses and young enlisted medics aware of these amazing individuals when I encounter them in our Emergency Dept. Their response to these particular citizens has made me think that perhaps all is not lost in the next generation.

My experiences have solidified my belief that we are losing an incredible generation, and this nation knows not what it is losing. Our uncaring government and ungrateful civilian populace should all take note. We should all remember that we must "Earn this."

Written By CPT. Stephen R. Ellison, M.D. (If you send this story along to friends, please include the author's name. Thank you!)

tablet_eraser
19th Feb 2006, 14:13
SASless

That's a great letter. How sad that Britain's newer generations are unaware or, indeed, do not care about the sacrifices made by older generations.

In my village there lives a retired Squadron Leader, Eric Foster. At the age of 102, he is still serving the community on the Parish Council, and remains as sprightly and active as he was when he climbed the Jungfrau mountain in the Alps, unassisted, in 1932.

On 14 June 1940, Sqn Ldr Foster was flying a 38 Sqn Wellington bomber out of Marham on a sortie over the Black Forest in Belgium when his bomber was hit by flak. His crew was killed, but he survived and although one leg was broken he staggered out of the forest to a farm house where he was taken into custody by German soldiers. Taken at first to Arlon Hospital, he immediately started to work out ways to escape. During his time as a POW he was incarcerated in 2 military hospitals, Dulag Luft and the notorious Spangenberg Castle. At the Dulag Luft and Spangenberg he made 7 attempts to escape, at times risking arrest as a spy by manufacturing civilian clothes from service dress. As a persistent escapee he was eventually moved to Stalag Luft III, where he joined the Escape Committee that became the basis for the film The Great Escape. His sense of duty was such that he could not bear the idea of sitting around waiting for the war to end. Every serviceman's duty was to attempt to return to Britain to continue fighting, and he and his colleagues risked their lives to do so.

Eventually he left Germany by feigning insantiy; his act was so successful that on repatriation to England he had to convince doctors that he was in fact fully sane.

He is an incredibly brave man, and yet he is perceived by many people in the village as an irritation - a doddering old fool who doesn't know when to retire. This attitude, seemingly prevalent today, enrages me. When did we become so arrogant?

Personally, I think Britain could learn a lot from the US in the way we feel about servicemen, past and present. Not to venerate them, which would probably offend most of them, but certainly to offer them a hell of a lot more respect. They are modest about their achievements, but there are a lot of people today who don't realise what they did for us. That's a very tragic indictment of our society.

brakedwell
19th Feb 2006, 15:35
Gordon Brown's Veterans' Badge will keep them all happy!

kokpit
19th Feb 2006, 17:34
I did a search for Roy Benavidez's citation, thought you guys might be interested, certainly an inspiring read:

BENAVIDEZ, ROY P.

Rank and Organization: Master Sergeant, Detachment B-56, 5th Special Forces Group, Republic of Vietnam. Place and Date: West of Loc Ninh on 2 May 1968.

Entered Service at: Houston, Texas June 1955.

Date and Place of Birth: 5 August 1935, DeWitt County,Cuero,Texas.

"Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam.

On The morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army.

After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requested emergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire.

Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crewmembers and to assess aircraft damage.

Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt.

Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, and head. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back.

At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter crashed. Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight.

Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft.

On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from [behind and suffered] additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft.

Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to join voluntarily his,comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army".

Farmer 1
19th Feb 2006, 18:13
I've spent the last half hour trying to think of something appropriate to say about Mr Benavidez's exploits, and at last I have it.

Totally speechless.

SASless
19th Feb 2006, 18:35
http://www.medalofhonor.com/RoyBenavidez.htm

More information and photos about this remarkable man.

It is customary for all ranks...to render a Hand Salute to holders of the Congressional Medal of Honor...and rightfully so.

Zoom
19th Feb 2006, 19:37
Not familiar with the Hand Salute, SASless. Please explain.

SASless
19th Feb 2006, 19:45
Standard military hand salute...when not carrying a rifle.

Wee Jock
19th Feb 2006, 21:12
'That we may wear
As brave a heart as they.'

What an amazing man.

Almost_done
20th Feb 2006, 20:36
One memory that will always stay with me is the Battle of Britain Parade in '90, as we marched out of Horseguards and into the Mall, at the corner of Hourseguards/Mall there was an eldery Gentleman in Blazer with chestful of medals. He shouted "be proud of them!" to the crowd around him as we marched past, brought a lump to my throat.

There was someone who had seen it, done it and possibly may have helped write some of the book cheering us on the new generation made me humble and as I say that feeling will stay with me till I die.

Always be proud of our history and those that fought to make it, for without them we would not be here today.

teeteringhead
21st Feb 2006, 07:34
A couple of years a ago I was propping up a waterfront bar in Key West; the barman asked if I was a. - British and b. - Military.

On discovering I was both, and after receiving embarrassing thanks for UK's help in what he called SWA (South West Asia, aka the Gulf), I was introduced to the wizened, be-stubbled, baseball-capped old guy in the corner of the bar....

..... who turned out to be an ex-Navy SEAL, a "3 war Vet" (WWII, Korea and Viet Nam) and CMOH holder ... we chatted and drank together for a while ... truly humbling ... and I never even asked him his name.... but still saluted him on my departure....