PDA

View Full Version : CABIAR APTITUDE

Ringway004
18th Feb 2006, 15:37
Hi, iv enrolled on the BA in air transport with pilot training at BCUC and have an aptitude test comin up at CABAIR, any know what the pilapt tests inolve and the GCSE maths/physics questions? are they multiple choice? any1 done this test? and any interview tips,:)
thanks

king rooney
18th Feb 2006, 16:10
Did the aptitude tests myself as part of the flybe application process, so Ill give you what I can remember of them.

Maths/Physics

Multi choice questions, with "red herring" answers thrown in.
The level is GCSE upper level. There wasnt anything as far as I can remember from AS/ a level sylabusses.
My advice is for the maths, practice basic GCSE algebra, re-arranging equations, etc. Also, due to the fact that a calculator is not allowed practice doing some stuff that you wont have done since primary school (long divison/ mulitplication, addition and subtraction by "carrying numbers" etc.) It´ll save you a lot of time over working out such things in ur head.
For the physics, just get yerself a letts GCse revision guide and work through all of it. No problem.

Pilapt Tests
To describe these precisley will take me to long. There are some which use a joystick in a manner that essentially mirrors flying a plane and measures how accurate ur hand to eye coordination is. One for example involves keeping a set of xhairs centered over a point as the computer tries to move them around. The best prep for these is to get a copy of MS flight sim and a PC joystick, these tests involve movements and hand to eye coordination which are directly related to flying a plane. Plus with MS flight sim u will get a good feel for a pc stick,(its sensitivity, etc).

There are some tests which test your ability to process both aural (through a set of head fones) and visual information. One I remember had a voice saying for example "green cross". When a green cross appeared on the screen you had to hit a button. Dunno how one would prepare for these, but you need to be alert and sharp to get a good score.

The final test is a "capacity test", a combination of both types (hand to eye coordination and info processing) You will have to keep the cross hairs centred in the same way as described above, whilst inputing responses to separate sources of visual and aural info on a separate key pad. In essence u are having to concentrate on three things at once. This one will get harder and harder until u break down and ur errors become more and more frequent.
Each test is scored out of ten, get below six on more than 3 of them and you will be strongly advised that you do not have the aptitute for it all i reckon.

My opinion is that unless ur a complete spastic, u should do ok on em,I managed to get an excellent score myself, and im not exactly the most coordinated of fellas!
good luck!

Ringway004
18th Feb 2006, 16:51
cheers nice 1 for that, damn no calculators and hier teir maths:confused: i was thinkin more on intermediate but oh well, I should try n balance both parts out, give 100% on pilapt if gcse's dont look good:)

link4
19th Feb 2006, 16:58
try www.ccat.org.uk and under assessment they have exemplars of the maths/physics tests, and they are mutli choice

hope this helps :ok:

Fish Out of Water
19th Feb 2006, 17:13
The first thing that might help is if you know how to spell the organisations name. Just a minor detail of course. :}

Ringway004
20th Feb 2006, 17:23
thanks for that mate, just out of curiosity, how is it possible to do trigonometry without a calculator?:)

ANDRE25i
21st Feb 2006, 09:33
who knows, you might just need to recollect your "basic numbers".
by the way; does BA utilise shl as their test provider for pilot recruitment candidates?
thanks in advance

Wazzoo
21st Feb 2006, 09:39
thanks for that mate, just out of curiosity, how is it possible to do trigonometry without a calculator?:)

Its not without a set of tables. But you can learn the obvious ones like Sin/Cos 30/45/60 which all have nice neat fractions as results.