PDA

View Full Version : Silly yet serious: job adeverts

glekichi
17th Feb 2006, 13:30
Why are 9x% of all jobs for pilots that are advertised for chief pilots?

I mean, I know why... poor management.

But, in reality, shouldnt the 2nd highest ranked pilot get the job (or at least, the next best qualified person within the company) and each pilot below him/her move up a rank, and the advertisement be for a new/young/200hr/whatever MINIMUMS that particular company requires pilot!?

What the hell is going on?

Arm out the window
17th Feb 2006, 20:39
Well, not really.
The line pilots in a given company may not want the significant extra paperwork and responsiblity of the CP job, management may not think they're up to it, they may want to inject some experience from elsewhere, lots of possible reasons apart from 'poor management' that CPs from within the company may not be the best way to go.
In some cases, CPs do come from inside the company, but you probably don't see those in the ads because the job's been filled before they need to run one.
You seem to be implying that everyone should take a step up the ladder just because the guy at the top leaves.

Woomera
17th Feb 2006, 21:17
A smaller company may not have existing pilots with the required skills set and experience - CAR217 experience, META rating etc. This is not a reflection on the company's recruitment policy, more a reflection on CASA refusing to recognise the position of Deputy Chief Pilot, thus not permitting a company to have a Chief Pilot "in the wings".

glekichi
17th Feb 2006, 21:21
Point taken about the paperwork.

It just gets to me that in most industries companies want experienced people but are not willing to train people up..

Woomera,
Thanx for that info. Explains the large number of adverts for CPs.

OpsNormal
17th Feb 2006, 21:52
A smaller company may not have existing pilots with the required skills set and experience - CAR217 experience, META rating etc. This is not a reflection on the company's recruitment policy, more a reflection on CASA refusing to recognise the position of Deputy Chief Pilot, thus not permitting a company to have a Chief Pilot "in the wings".

Maybe not a "Deputy Chief Pilot" as you put it W, but certainly a "Standby Chief Pilot" is talked about in sections 7.11.8.2.3 and 7.8.3.2.6 (other than High Cap RPT) of the AOCM, and specifically covers the process of gaining an approval to have a standby CP (as you said "in the wings") should the incumbent seek annual leave or is too crook to work for anything over a week.

A "Deputy CP" is more a recognition by a Company of a person's standing within it.

OpsN;)

Woomera
18th Feb 2006, 01:48
I accept that Ops Normal. Perhaps I should have said a small operator may not be able to attract and retain a suitably qualified and experienced pilot, nor prepared to pay allowances for his ratings etc, as a line pilot, cum "Chief Pilot in the wings", on the basis their existing Chief Pilot may one day leave.

It is open to conjecture, but it would appear that CASA recognition of a Deputy Chief Pilot, able to assume the Chief Pilot duties and responsibilities without further approval processes etc, would not only provide experienced support for the existing Chief Pilot, but also present a smoother and less traumatic transition, should the incumbent Chief Pilot resign.

There is often a significant difference in the qualifications and experience between a line pilot and Chief Pilot. It is not merely a matter of seniority.

Just my thoughts! :)

Woomera