PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Regional Airlines Questions

No worries mate
17th Feb 2006, 09:28
I noticed QRA advertised for Dash 8 pilots a few weeks back and I was wondering if anyone has heard back?

I've done a search but cannot find any details regarding them on the web.

I believe two of their aircraft have gone on lease with Maroomba in WA and Aircruising is leasing another, so how many aircraft do they have?

Where is their head office and where are the crews based?

Who is the Chief Pilot/Flight Ops Manager?

Are they doing RPT or just charter?

What are they paying their Capts and FO's?

Any other information (good or bad) regarding the company would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
NWM

nuhgoobala
17th Feb 2006, 22:31
26k+ bond. Pay Award. The airline in Question is picking up some good charters, and is in good contention for an eventual demise of its competitors in Tville. Still is occuring teething and evolving challenges which are common with startups. Parent coy is APNG, mother in law, IPA.
Consider if you have -8 time, that there are some good contracts abroad at the moment, and if you don't have -8 time, QF don't charge that much for a buy your self a job, nor does it cost that much to train someone. Also compare this with a jet rating. If you can find 26k to bust a bond, mid 30's for a 737 or the like, ain't much further away, with far more potential might be a consideration if you join with the intention of transiting. Plus the industry is only gonna get better for its drivers as the shortage approaches. Sadly employment comes through the Mother in Law company IPA in TVL. A little outa touch with reality. Currently employing crew for the wrong reasons. They will eventually evolve though. They always do.......

OpsNormal
18th Feb 2006, 02:36
Ahhhh, now it makes sense why you couldn't move on the apron at YCCY Thursday afternoon. One of them being P2 registered and all....:ooh:

Now which one of you owes yer company a slab for forgetting your sarwatch? ;) ;)

whogivesa????
18th Feb 2006, 06:41
Spot on nuhgoobala,

They really do need a reality check. They will not take direct entry captains unless you have 500 – 1000 command hours on type. Yes the Dash 8-100 may have a 15t tow and carry 36 passengers, but it’s not that hard to fly. It’s fitted with an autopilot, it only does 250 KTAS on a good day and lands at less than 100 knots. Now by comparison, there are pilots who are flying higher performing 19 seat aircraft such as the 1900D, Metro and Jetstream without autopilots who only have with as little as 50-100 PIC hours and total time of less than 2000 hours. And if you work at jet-craft you will be flying single pilot. Flying any other these types is a lot harder than flying the Dash.

And if go to Japan (as many Aussies have), they are putting guys into the left hand seat of the Q400 who have never flown the Dash 8 (most are coming from 19 seat aircraft) and have less than 3000 hours total time. Plus they will pay you $130000 per year and give you travel benefits.
Yet QRA/CorpAir/IPA will only pay you $60000- 65000 but you must have time on type or it’s the right seat for you with a rather large bond.

They really need to have a very good look at their hiring standards. It they were smart they would look for captains who are aged 30 – 45 who have substantial turboprop time on similar types who will most likely stay around longer rather than older guys who may have time on type but are about to hang up there headset due to their age. They may find they end up with a better product trained from day one to their standards.

Just in case those looking for Dash 8 jobs haven't seen the ANN add here it is;

Air Nippon Network
Dash 8 Q400 Pilots

Hawaii Aviation is accepting resumes for Captains and First Officer's position. A-net (ANA Group) currently operates several Dash 8 Q400's from Osaka Base to Kochi, Matsuyama, Saga and Fukuoka. They have ordered more airplanes and are expanding.

Minimum Requirements

Captains: ICAO or FAA ATPL - 3,000 hrs TT, at least 500 hrs of "PIC" in Dash 8 or similar type and hold Class 1 Medical Certificate. Captains must have Two-Crew Turboprop Type rating.
First Officers: ICAO of FAA ATPL. 1500 hours PIC (one half commercial FO time calculated as PIC time). 500 hours FO on two crew certified turboprop. Current class 1 medical certificate.

ComeByChance
23rd Feb 2006, 10:37
Crew bases are Cairns and Townsville; however one of their Dash 8’s spends a lot of time in Mackay so it may also be base.

I believe the Chief Pilot is ex Sunstate (Initials AS).

Not 100% sure, but I think they are only operating adhoc charter flights and more and more mining flights (taking work from Mac-air).

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Feb 2006, 13:01
They really need to have a very good look at their hiring standards. It they were smart they would look for captains who are aged 30 – 45 who have substantial turboprop time on similar types who will most likely stay around longer rather than older guys who may have time on type but are about to hang up there headset due to their age. They may find they end up with a better product trained from day one to their standards.

Mate perhaps they feel the older guys have something to offer?

Remember too that APNG has a reasonably long history of operations in PNG...where relevant experience and general cunning outweigh youthfull enthusiasm every day.:ok:

SkySista
23rd Feb 2006, 13:20
NWM, correct, Maroomba have two of the QRA Dash 8s, first one was QQB, not sure about the other one. It's only been here a week or so.

I believe they're being crewed by guys who came over from other operators such as NJS, Skippers etc...

I guess one advantage was there wasn't much repainting to do!!! :p