PDA

View Full Version : CX frieght schedule-USA

gnwac
16th Feb 2006, 21:25
I''m with NWA ( 8 yrs) and it's a tough place to be right now. Sent an app away last week. I've heard that the cargo side is usually the place for new hires, then a few years later you can move to the pax side. Question: What are the scheds like for USA based cargo guys?

Any input or reply would be great!

Thanks,
gnwac

Mr. Bloggs
17th Feb 2006, 04:23
Depends on your base but seem to have 7-10 days away followed by 5-8 days off. Longer pattern when you have simulator(10 days).
You can be a DE F/O on the freighter and then position to F/O on the Passenger fleet on a base if one is available OR you can come to HKG after 3 years as a Passenger F/O OR you can take a command on the freighter but will be locked into that position for 3 years.
You will be paid more as a F/O on the passenger fleet than a freighter based Captain, but don’t mention this in an interview. Mention you will go Captain on the Freighter then when hired, do what’s best for you.
All the best.

gnwac
17th Feb 2006, 13:09
Thanks for the reply Mr. Bloggs. Good advice. I know there are several USA bases. Is there much flexability to choose, and I hear that ATL may be a future base too.
Gnwac

Mr. Bloggs
19th Feb 2006, 06:14
The bases are LAX, SFO, JFK, ATL and ANC and can pick any of them unless they are full. You can also choose HKG but will not be paid any expat benefits.

startyphoon
19th Feb 2006, 17:24
i'm an italian eurofighter instructor looking into cx ( i might be applying this year ) . could mr.bloggs extend the info regarding schedules once a pilot transitions to the passenger fleet. thank you

filejw
20th Feb 2006, 17:08
Try Flightinfo.com also.

Mr. Bloggs
21st Feb 2006, 06:52
Much better. You will be on the 744 passenger fleet. Out of HKG, the patterns are 4 days. Could have from 0-5 off before next pattern. Back to back long hauls if you like hence the 0 days off, but will generate some time off. Good for commuters.

Patterns out of Europe are from 4-6 days. Much more like 4 because all the short haul sectors in Asia are taken for training or checks. No minimum time off before next long haul.

North America will be similar.

startyphoon
24th Feb 2006, 18:08
thanks mr.bloggs, you think an italian air force instructor with 1700hrs has any chance?

cpdude
24th Feb 2006, 20:41
thanks mr.bloggs, you think an italian air force instructor with 1700hrs has any chance?

...as long as you don't claim to be the designer of that Eurofighter thing!:E :)

Mr. Bloggs
25th Feb 2006, 04:39
Can't see a reason why not. Apply and take it from there.

startyphoon
25th Feb 2006, 21:19
what's cpdude for ? anything to do with mr. lebowski !?!?!

Sqwak7700
26th Feb 2006, 04:54
I'm the dude...so that's what you call me , man. That, or el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

startyphoon
26th Feb 2006, 15:24
does anyone know if the cx salaries posted on arlinecentral ( 5290 usd first salary for fo on cargo ) is before or after tax ? if it's before , what kind of tax do you pay ?

Sqwak7700
1st Mar 2006, 18:23
It is before taxes.

If you take the 15.5% as cash instead of provident fund cont. then you will bring home approximately 5200 to 5400, on a normal month. Overtime is a really good payout, but for some positions it rarely happens. 84 hours to 92 is at 1.5x normal rate, 92 to 100 is at 2.5x normal rate, and over 100 is at 3.5x normal rate. Right now, a lot of the RPICs on the freighter I fly with get used a lot and are in overtime. I rarely get overtime, if I do, it is only by a couple hours.

Expect to have Federal US taxes deducted, which comes out to about 1100 dollars per month. HK taxes are paid in arrears. Your start date determines how much you pay. If you spend less than 60 days in HK a year (I think it is 60?) then you can request to be exempt from HK taxes. HK tax is a flat 15%, has been for a long time. You can deduct certain things, but I'm not sure what.

Hope this helps. If anyone can correct me, please do.

Sq :)

sizematters
2nd Mar 2006, 04:59
wow, someone didn't look at their tax bill, now did they?? 16% and going up further to 17% (ouch).....................also the chances of not being in Hong Kong for 60 days??? the training course alone is 90-120 days in HKG so you best budget on paying the HKG tax bill when it arrives............thank god for HSBC and tax loans , eh?? at least you can spread it over the year.................so have fun guys

c ya