PDA

View Full Version : Headset

kerrinator
16th Feb 2006, 20:53
Hopefully I will start my cpl in a few months, and I need a new headset! My budget is about £200-250.
Any ideas???
Thanks!

Dude~
17th Feb 2006, 07:02
David Clarke H10-13.4 very comfy indeed.

Elixir
17th Feb 2006, 11:23
I have to agree with Dude, I have the David Clarke 13.4 and it is definitely the best out of the ones I tried. It cost me about £220.

The one I used before that was a Peltor and wouldn't recommend it at all - it didn't seem to cut out as much background noise as the David Clarke and wasn't comfortable to wear at all. It is a bit cheaper though at about £150.

mcgoo
17th Feb 2006, 15:48
ditto, got the david clark, got it on offer for £190 at afeonline!

kerrinator
18th Feb 2006, 14:04
Cheers! David Clark it is.:O

king rooney
18th Feb 2006, 14:54
Anyone ever had ago at making their own? Its a pretty simple device when you think about it, and quality components (speakers, etc) could be bought separately much cheaper than the complete headset methinks. What u could do would be to get a pair of those earguard things that roadworkers use when using pneumatic drills, (which are essentially a headset with no speakers/mic) and wire in the mic and earspeakers, together with a volume control.

Seems a bit rediculous to me that you can pay so much for such a simple device, 250 quid, or even more, for a pair of speakers, mic, a few bits of plastic and a couple of wires.

scameron77
18th Feb 2006, 14:58
While Uncle Dave has an excellent warranty scheme in operation (2nd to none in my experience) I must admit that wearing them and then switching to Bose was akin to the first caveman who discovered how to make fire.

The way I look at it, hearing and eyesight are the first things to go. So I paid out significant wonga for my headset and sunglasses.

The 950 USD price tag is steep but I found the difference after a long X/C was like night and day, sore ears (even despite gel cups) and the headache I just put down to however many hours of concentration I discovered to be directly linked to my headset.

I would suggest that you also look at those tiny lightspeed thingy's that fit right in your ear. I've never used them but have heard many good things. Martha King uses them and although that shouldn't be a basis for purchasing anything but I imagine she has probably tried quite a few pairs in her time.

Whatever you do I'd suggest buying them in the US, you will save a whack, i.e. set of Bose and a 4 hours in a 172 cost the same as the Bose here in the UK.

ultimatepro63
18th Feb 2006, 16:43
woudnt it work out cheaper if you bought it from america

mcgoo
18th Feb 2006, 17:39
Whatever you do I'd suggest buying them in the US, you will save a whack, i.e. set of Bose and a 4 hours in a 172 cost the same as the Bose here in the UK.

that what he says to do!

YYZ
18th Feb 2006, 18:08
Does anyone have any experience of the folowing headsets?

http://www.anrheadsets.com/productsL1.asp

http://www.anrheadsets.com/products-Mach1.asp

Not a bad.. ish price, but don't know anyone with them yet?

YYZ