PDA

View Full Version : Navy (??) Helicopter flying around EGCC

synoptic
16th Feb 2006, 15:55
http://i1.tinypic.com/nx1jpf.jpg
This was buzzing aroung the Stockport area today around dinnertime. It was traversing up and down the same area, sometimes quite slowly, along a path that I have infrequently seen being used by planes on approach into EGCC.
Anybody know what it was doing here? A friend with a conspiratorial bent suggested that, given the underslung radome, it was looking for the fire control radar signatures of a terrorist SAM :E

opnot
16th Feb 2006, 16:16
Synoptic
Nothing as scare-mongering as your friend suggests .
Just giving rides to school kids, hoping that thay may enlist one day.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
16th Feb 2006, 17:57
Was indeed a Navy Helicopter and was taking Stockport School kids for joy rides up and down the A6 for a while.

synoptic
16th Feb 2006, 18:22
Blimmin' kids get all the luck don't they :)
I was half expecting Air Force One to appear overhead as well :D
Slightly OT but does anybody know why this flight path is rarely used and always by aircraft that seem to be lower than you'd expect them to be (cuts across the A6 around Hazel Grove Area, not the one further south going over train station)??? I've seen a couple of 146's use it but not much else, and they practically fly down the street.
Cheers.

Krystal n chips
16th Feb 2006, 18:34
Was indeed a Navy Helicopter and was taking Stockport School kids for joy rides up and down the A6 for a while.

Makes a change from their usual form of transport for this purpose then !:E

Although it is probably the only way to beat the "A6 doesn't need a bypass cos it would cut through a golf club and the traffic jams are all in the mind " brigade.

From one who once took 1hr.25nmins to get from Disley to the town centre :{

Fried_Chicken
16th Feb 2006, 19:30
There are currently two Royal Navy Seakings operating out of Woodfood aerodrome which have been visiting various schools in the Manchester area

FC

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
16th Feb 2006, 19:35
I imagine the kids managed to only be truant for 50 days a year to qualify for that treat!

On the subject of flight paths, it seems to be the odd RJ and quite a few VLM F50s which seem to intercept the approach later than others and cut across Hazel Grove/Davenport before joining over Adswood/Cheadle.

Seems to be with the slower, more manoeverable aircraft and possibly when a visual approach is possible?

Maybe an ATCO or pilot of the above types into MAN can enlighten further than my low-tech answer?!

Anne.Nonymous
16th Feb 2006, 19:51
It would have to be Navy - it is far too close to the weekend for the other Seaking operating Service to be flying! :eek: :eek: :ok:

Anne :)

covec
16th Feb 2006, 22:15
:confused: Can't be the RAF that you mean, Anne - cos my lot have been on SAR standby since 28th December 05. And deploy for an Iraqi sun tan for the second set of 9 weeks in 6 months quite soon - with a third tour later this year yet again!:)

Wish I could stay in a ship instead of a tent! No mortar menace then...:hmm:

synoptic
16th Feb 2006, 23:50
Ahh, thought Woodford may have played a role. Would explain the flight path at least!!! Better than the local roads as Krystal n chips points out :)

AlphaWhiskyRomeo is quite right about the F50's as well. I can't be totally sure but I think I also saw an A320 use this route... might have had a few sherry's tho'

flarecheckohdear
17th Feb 2006, 02:24
If my memory serves me correctly COVEC, the 1st Gulf War saw all the Navy Junglies in tents and the RAF languishing in a hotel with all the trimmings. Defence cuts must truly be savage if the dear old Crabs are having to slum it with the rest of the Services!:p

AlanM
17th Feb 2006, 14:09
If my memory serves me correctly COVEC, the 1st Gulf War saw all the Navy Junglies in tents and the RAF languishing in a hotel with all the trimmings.

Not all mate. On the SH Force we were in teh crappy tents too..... with the Junglies under "our" control in the SH Force HQ.

happy days........

(Fair point about the fast jet boys though...!) ;)

covec
17th Feb 2006, 21:54
True - some were in hotels for "Desert Shield" if you will - but some of these moved to unfurnished MQs 90km from airfield for the "hot bit".

Any fool can get wet n cold...or hot n sticky!:ok: