PDA

View Full Version : BBC Fighter Pilot Series

Rob McCrea
16th Feb 2006, 09:45
I was just searching the internet and i came across a post about the BBC series fighter pilot, people were asking about the winner and who he was etc. As a matter of fact the winner of the series was John McCrea, who went on to fly the Buccaneer in the gulf, to then become a QFI at Barkston heath flying the firefly, he then later went on to Cranwell as a QFI at 1EFTS at RAF Cranwell.

The reason i know this is because he is my dad, hes still in the RAF and hes doing well. If anyone has any questions then feel free and il direct him to this post.

Rob McCrea.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Feb 2006, 22:26
Rob, wish him all the best from all of us at PPRuNe. I well re-call the series and very glad that he did himself proud.

PPP

Conan the Librarian
18th Feb 2006, 01:29
This was the Milkman wasn't it? Remember the series and Dad impressed me no end as a lay person. Think I even bought the book, though God knows which bit of Conan Towers it lies in.

The other chap from that series, that twigs ones memory, is Dave Southwood. He has got himself around too.

Thumbs up here!

Conan

Genghis the Engineer
18th Feb 2006, 18:19
This was the Milkman wasn't it? Remember the series and Dad impressed me no end as a lay person. Think I even bought the book, though God knows which bit of Conan Towers it lies in.
The other chap from that series, that twigs ones memory, is Dave Southwood. He has got himself around too.
Thumbs up here!
Conan
Dave was in the Test Pilot series.

G

air pig
18th Feb 2006, 19:13
John McCrea is on the GW 1 video and Dave Southwood (Picture in this months Air Forces Monthly) is still at Boscombe Down, he is one of first non USA pilots to fly the F 117A.

old-timer
19th Feb 2006, 10:50
Remember the series well - bought the book & was interested to see the same book in the OFMC library when I visited there.

Gald to hear your Dad is still in, excellent record, happy flying chaps.

You want it when?
19th Feb 2006, 17:14
Pleased to hear he is still doing well. I found the book (again) recently and it's back in the pile to read sometime, either that or it's off to eBay.

Well played Mr McCrea.

Heliport
20th Feb 2006, 14:34
For anyone who wasn't around when it was posted, there's an interesting thread on flying warbirds with Dave Southwood's lecture notes HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120575)

H.

scroggs
21st Feb 2006, 18:34
God, I was at Linton when much of it was filmed! Brings back memories... I didn't know your Dad, as his course didn't arrive until after I'd left (much of the filming was done in advance), but I did later know Martin Oxborrow quite well on Hercs. Of course, the staff at all the various schools (bar Brawdy, to which I never went - I did the Lossiemouth TWU).

I believe it was a comment by yourDad that caused the CAS at the time, Sir Keith Williamson, to rescind permission for TWU students (and indeed all junior pilots until 6 months into their operational tours) to live out. He wasn't popular for that!

Dave is well known to me from his brief sojurn at Virgin. A total star and a gentleman of the first order - and a Ppruner!

Tonkenna
25th Feb 2006, 18:40
Hi Rob,

Say hi to your Dad from me... he taught me to be a QFI a few years ago and we had a good laugh togther. Not flying the Tutor now though, back on the VC10.

ATB to you all

Tonks:)