PDA

View Full Version : Air Kiribati information wanted!

BHX-SKG
15th Feb 2006, 17:56
Does anyone have any current information about Air Kiribati's operations? I've tried emailing them, but all mails come back as undeliverable.

1. Do they run any sort of regular schedule? Does anybody have access to an up-to-date timetable? The timetable at kiritours.com is at least 3 years old, and still lists some airstrips that are now apparently "closed" according to the Australian ERSIE.

2. Are there any flights at all in the Line Islands? I read somewhere (here on PPruNe?) that Teraina and Tabuaeran airstrips are now unserviceable. Is this true? Is the "new" CASA 212 with registration T3-ATJ stationed here (at Cassidy)?
If not, what does T3-ATJ do? Does anyone have any photos of T3-ATJ, or information about its color scheme? Is Aeon Field now being used for anything?

3. I've seen photos on the net from 2001/2 of the old CASA reg. T3-ATC derelict at Abaiang after a heavy landing. Is she still there, or was she ever repaired? One source I found suggests that the new Casa T3-ATJ was originally acquired in order to use the parts to repair T3-ATC, but this never happened. Is this correct?

4. I've read (here in the PPRuNe archives) that the old Trislanders T3-ATD and T3-ATE are rusting away at Bonriki Airport. Can anyone please tell me where they are parked in relation to the terminal building or Air Kiri hangar and what kind of condition they are in? Any photos?! Is the older one (T3-ATD) still in Air Tungaru colors (red stripe), seeing as it was retired just before the changeover?

5. I understand Bonriki Airport has a new control tower/fire service building and I've even found a photo, but I can't work out from that where the building is actually located in relation to the runway/apron. I think it's near the apex of the apron triangle, but I can't be sure. Where is it? Is the old "tower" still there (south side of runway, just east of apron?)

6. Are there any privately operated aircraft in Kiribati? Any helicopters? Any other aircraft regularly seen in Kiribati apart from Air Kiribati, Air Nauru (if!) and perhaps the Search For One organization.

7. Is the airstrip at Arorae still operating? The NDB radio beacon there has been listed as "decommissioned" for at least a year, and the runway is not listed at all.

8. Why did Aranuka airstrip close last year? Will it be upgraded and reopened, or is it permanent?

9. What callsign is used by Air Kiribati aircraft? Do they still use "Tungaru" or maybe just tailnumbers?

10. Any news on Air Kiribati's rumoured plans to lease a second Y12 from Air Fiji? (Anyone know which of Air Fiji's Y12s (reg. no.) is currently operating for Airlines Tonga? I think a second one is due soon.)

I really hope somebody will be able to help me, and I will be grateful for even the tiniest bit of information! Any photographs of aircraft and airstrips would be especially welcome!
I apologize if this is not the right place to ask, but there's a lot more traffic here than on the Spotters' Balcony, and it seems the most likely place to get knowledgeable answers!

Regards, and many thanks in advance,