PDA

View Full Version : Sealed bars

tallseabird
14th Feb 2006, 21:19
Something that was mentioned in 'the' Ryanair programme - why couldn't the bars be opened, the answer given was to do with customs, but don't club/first passengers get a drink from the bar before departure.

Is this just a (perpetrated) myth or is there really a reason?

Globaliser
15th Feb 2006, 13:20
I think that the problem is that if the bars are opened, duty has to be paid.

When premium pax are served champagne on the ground, it's much more expensive to the airline than the same glass of champagne served in the air. They don't open any more bottles on the ground than strictly necessary.

masalaairlines
15th Feb 2006, 14:37
Doesn't duty have to be paid regardless if it is an inner EU flight? I thought there were no more "duty free" allowances on inner EU routes. (Don't pax pay duty included prices on their bar purchases even airbourne)

None the less the issue is complicated, which is why the captain probably couldn't authorise the opening of the bar. The question arrises from, which EU member state do they pay to? I suppose when one opens the bar whilst the doors are still open, one technically has to pay duty to the country one is in. In that particular case I think it was Spain. Once one is airbourne, I suppose one pays duty to a nominated EU member state, probably where the airline or a/c is registered. Ryanair probably have an agreement to pay their duty to Ireland (although I'm sure MOL will have figured out some way to pay duty in a cheaper Excise EU member state such as France, Germany or even Spain. :O

As someone has mentioned in the main thread on this story, the captain could have always closed the doors, and then he trully is king of his ship! :8

bbrown1664
15th Feb 2006, 15:10
At the prices they charge anyway, I though that duty was paid in the UK :}