PDA

View Full Version : MyTravel - LGW to POP Upgrades

4Foxtrot
14th Feb 2006, 21:02
My girlfriend and I have decided to splash out on my birthday this year and avoid the trepidation of staff travel. To that end we're flying MyTravel LGW-POP and at the time of booking we declined the offer to upgrade to some sort of first class at (I think) about £70 per person per sector. In the context of upgrades, that sounded pretty cheap. A few weeks down the line I had a bit of a rethink but neither the MyTravel site nor the booking confirmation details go into any detail about the matter.

I'm pretty open minded about long-haul travel having stared at the inside of a C130 for many irretreivable hours of my life BUT having read some colourful and varied reports on MyTravel I would like to know exactly what you get and is worth it? Or should I just take a handful of valium?

MyTravel staff comments welcome, anon if necessary.

Cheers

Fox 4

Wodrick
14th Feb 2006, 22:10
Depends on your size really, much more legroom in PG, the rest is immaterial, more legroom is what counts, after that it's just iceing. Don't know what you get though, free drink, and "better food" would help justify the price. Last time I went long haul on staff PG was quite acceptable considering what I had Paid.

Thomas_Cook_757-300
16th Feb 2006, 20:53
Hi,

MyTravel have excellent and very honest feedback on Car Survey (http://www.carsurvey.org/air) which is well worth looking at.

When I fly to Goa in April, we have upgraded to Premier Gold. For your money you get a lot:

*Dedicated Check-In Desks with Reduced Check-In time of up to 90 Minutes Prior to Departure
*30KG Luggage Allowance
*Priority Boarding and Disembarkation
*Pink Champagne or Red Grape Fruit Juice Served on Boarding
*Complimentary Newspaper
*Up to 36" Seat Pitch and Wider Seats
*Seat Back TV with extra movies
*Complimentary Headsets
*Choice of Award Winning Meals with Complimentary Wine
*Complimentary Bar Service
*Personal Pamper Pack
*Complimentary Ice Cream and Hand Made Chocolates
*Thicker Blankets and Pillows
*Priority Baggage Collection

Hope this helps!

Regards
Thomas_Cook_757-300

Big Tudor
16th Feb 2006, 21:14
4Foxtrot

I can confirm it is money well spent. Went to Orlando in 2004 with MYT in PG and was glad we did. Bearing in mind the length of the sector, you will be far more comfortable in PG than 'down the back'. Also, it will mean that on the return sector you will be able to recline your seat and have some shut eye without breaking the nose of the person behind you. Wider seats allow you to spread out a bit as well without dipping your elbow in your neighbours sausage and mash.

Kanos
18th Feb 2006, 07:41
4foxtrot,
You wouldn't happen to be going on the 25th April would you ?

If so you'll be picking me up at Manchester on the way.

TJ747
18th Feb 2006, 14:36
Hi Guys,

4foxtrot,
You wouldn't happen to be going on the 25th April would you ?

If so you'll be picking me up at Manchester on the way

That is the Monday flt which operates LGW-MAN-LRM-MAN-LGW A330

The Wednesday flt is LGW-POP-LGW A330

If you wish to upgrade then you can do this via the MyTravel Pre-Bookables Dept on 0161 232 6630 or try 0161 232 6699 or go via the switchboard on 0161 232 6600

Hope the above helps and hope you enjoy your flt with us

Cheers

TJ747

Kanos
19th Feb 2006, 06:41
25th April is a Tuesday and we are flying to Puerto Plata (POP) from Manchester

ExSimGuy
19th Feb 2006, 18:28
Most vacation times, I head for Philadelphia for part of my holiday as I have a daughter living there (rest of my family in Sussex, UK)

The ticket from Mid-East to UK is paid for by my company, so it's Economy (unless GF decide to upgrade their "repected and loved Frequent Flyer" ;) )

Then it's a "staff standby" ticket to USA and recommended to purchase an upgrade voucher for $100 each way "in case coach is full". For me that's a no-brainer, and for that money (similar to what you have been offered) the advantages are

Far more comfortable seating
No $5 charge for headsets or charges for a drink
Superb - really - superb food and wines
Total comfort all the way - fantastic service
In-flight entertainment even better than in Coach(Much as I get when GF upgrade me on the BAH-LHR sector, except they don't charge coach for drinks or headsets anyway)

Many years ago, when I flew Pan-Am (history!) I used to pay an extra $50 each way for "First". As in the current situation, the upgrade was "in case coach is full" but I usually asked "please can I preferably use the upgrade".

When I'm on a "company ticket", I can't afford the upgrade (regular scheduled flights - hundreds or thousands of $$$) - but if there was an upgrade available for that sort of money (on a long-haul) I'd happily pay the few extra bucks to take it.

"Go for it" - I hope you and your Lady really enjoy the flight(s) :ok:

4Foxtrot
21st Feb 2006, 22:07
TJ747,

I'm going on March 22nd actually, so you might need to find your own way to LGW. I'll be sure to drink all the spiced rum before you get there. Yaaaaarrgh, welcome to the Carribean!

Thanks for the tips everyone. PG it is.