PDA

View Full Version : Fastnet Rescue TV Prog BBC 1

peterperfect
14th Feb 2006, 21:00
The producers did it again: "8 RAF helicopters" (from RNAS Culdrose) came to the rescue...............

JKnife
14th Feb 2006, 21:10
Aah, but of course even the local west country news regularly said "a RAF resuce helicopter from RAF Helston."

Seriously, though, a good job done by the boys in dark blue. "Bravo Zulu" I think the WAFU term is.

Climebear
14th Feb 2006, 21:48
Radio 4 did a great programme on Fastnet on 21 Jan 06 and gave full credit to the RN.

Cambridge Crash
15th Feb 2006, 17:03
And how did the other 7 cas die? Apart from the non-material errors of naming the wrong Service (at least they didn't call them Army helos), the depiction of life on a yacht in storm-force conditions was chillingly accurate. Over the years I have accumulated many hundreds of sea miles in all conditions, and have endured a mere F 8 off Ushant, and frankly wanted to die due to sea-sickness - being MOB wouldhave been a blessed release. My survival on one occasion in the early 1990s was probably due to safety changes brought about after the Fastnet race of 1979. I am sure that some PPruners would have preferred me to have gone down with the boat...

Stratia
15th Feb 2006, 17:37
I am sure that some PPruners would have preferred me to have gone down...

Not until it's obligatory......:O