PDA

View Full Version : China Southern Interview Process..

defiant
14th Feb 2006, 19:39
Hi there,
I was just interested to find out if anyone who has gone through the china southern interview process, (the one's generally held in Sydney/Melbourne, for flight instructor positions at Jandakot/Merredin) could cast some light on what sort of questions are likely to be asked?
Thanks,
Defiant.

Signature
15th Feb 2006, 08:34
You should expect some basic explanation of yourself, your training and your work history. There is generally questions relating to how you intend to cope teaching someone to fly who speaks engrish as a second langauge (do you have such exp...). Depending on what experience you have or what grade of instructor you are there would also be some explanation of the job you can do.

Lifestyle, pay, progression and upgrades will be high lighted, and pretty good really. MDN is what you make, so spend your money on driving to Perf, or flying home. You could expect to enter CSWAFC as a zero hour instructor, and leave with over 500 multi command, but you'll have to wait your turn, and hang in there. The progression does happen though.

Ground school is an excellent option for degree graduates with no instructional time yet. Largest money is paid to the MDN commanders though. Jandakot is the hardest work, but is also closest to the planes that get you back to the east coast.

Should you do well, off to Perf' and then there is still the basic flight check (can you fly and talk), standardisation then CFI check flight - THEN you get a job.

My advice is too apply, worst case you get a job.

Best of luck to all.

Do I really have to sign this?

Angle of Attack
15th Feb 2006, 15:15
Yeah Jandakot is closest to the planes that take you to the east coast, but the question is once your in Perf, who wants to go to the east coast??? :E :E

inthesoup
16th Feb 2006, 07:45
Signature wrote:
"teaching someone to fly who speaks engrish as a second langauge"

Jesus i wouldn't even say that. Someone who has english as a second language is fluent with understanding AND able to speak english.

But seriously defiant, give it a go it can be daunting at first wrt able to teach and understand them, you will with time able to slightly understand them and also learn to speak a new language: chinglish.

Life in MDN is definatly what you make of it (is it still wednesday night skimpys' night or have they left) and with 15 or so work mates you can have fun. BBQ's nearly every weekend. (This always leads into something exploding). You have more variety of flying out there, Night hours can be logged up very quickly. A great place to study ATPL (but you will miss out on the social life however).

Jandakot is, well city life and yes probably the hardest instructing you will do but will pay off later ie Grade 1. BUT the biggest thing going in perth would have to be the SUNDAY SESS at the COTT. Sensational.

Back to the interview they'll definately ask how would you cope with non english speaking students, why do you want to work for CSWAFC (whatever you do don't say hour building it'll be the quickest interview you'll have).

But overall not only do you get paid well, lots of flying but the experience of chinese cooking (chicken feet are really good) and most of all mates that you alays remember

Cheers

Bula
17th Feb 2006, 01:56
something exploding ay.... just watch out for those balck and gold cans of fly spray :).... it will send a shock through your system from 100 m away.

av fun... you generally always do. Just watch out for jabba the hut and her merry band... they'll get you.

novicef
22nd Feb 2006, 10:32
So does China Southern upgrade instructors when they qualify or do they have to wait for a vacancy.

22nd Feb 2006, 12:43
Bula, tell me more about this jabba the hut.......

glekichi
24th Feb 2006, 11:47
Just out of interest, how do the zero-instruction hour starters get the required multi PIC time for the multi instructor's rating?
This place sounds almost too good to be true.

Bula
25th Feb 2006, 04:08
like most instructors mate.. seeing they dont do any charter work.. they pay for it :(....

jabba the hut...... hahaha you'll find out

glekichi
25th Feb 2006, 07:31
:eek:
That must be like 25K..?

turbantime
26th Feb 2006, 00:56
Of the 50 PIC, you can have a maximum of 25hrs as ICUS. This can drive down the cost nicely.

Patty O'Furniture
26th Feb 2006, 06:16
Jabba The Hutt didn't get strangled by the princess in the end, she merely just fell asleep, got picked up by a couple of blokes in the sand dunes and got dumped in merredin on the way to perth...

Great times out there.. good lads n good brews, well except for inthesoups home brew effort.. just kidding mate!

Be confident in the check flight, slow down your patter and put clarity and sop's at the top of the list.

good luck with it... don't try and jump the canal in town after about 15 bundies!

Signature
27th Feb 2006, 12:39
I found screaming at clouds and throwing rocks at the lamp posts helped ease the boredom... That and randomly abusing the tourist bus as it rolled by every afternoon (approx 16.00).

On an especially good day you can get one of the last assorted fresh fruit tubs from dewsons... Happy days! Since I left I can't recall ever going to BBQ's where there was never any mention of the absence of salad. Jabba was mentioned, just not salad. It's a very funny place (ha ha funny).

inthesoup
2nd Mar 2006, 07:56
Patty O' How are you. Long time no hear.

Its a bit hard when 2 cartons of homebrew is drunk in only 2-3 nights between 6-8 blokes and they keep hassling me for when the next batch is brewing. :} :}

That's right almost forgotten about the damn tourist bus, Especially the Sat afternoon scenic where all the lads are out playing street cricket and drinking, or just drinking. With a big hole in the ground a lots of firewood with aerosol cans and the spud gun!!.

Just a question for the guys out there is the spud gun still in operation or is there the Mk 2 version out.

Damn still having nightmares about Jabba :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Stiff Under Carriage
3rd Mar 2006, 01:18
inthesoup,

The good old days hey, they were when I used to get up for the AM shift only to find the NIGHT shift still sitting watching TV drinking p!ss:} , just waiting to 'cheers' the bus driver as he drove in for his first early morning drop off of students. HA

Certainly had some wild times and great memories.

Patty, mate hows things? Haven't from you in a while, your last call was when Q was in the pic.

SUC

Patty O'Furniture
3rd Mar 2006, 02:37
The worst is when you first start and still scared s#$less about ghosts in the donga and then some of the more 'senior' lads come along and scare the crap out of you some more!

Have those things been knocked down yet?!

Defiant how was the process? Get through?

inthesoup send me a p.m and let me know what you're doing!

S.U.C u DC will give u a buzz

cheers boys :ok:

16th Mar 2006, 02:25
Any further advice for the guys who have interviews with CSWAFC in the next few days?

thenavman
16th Mar 2006, 03:57
Hey Bula, I thought you would be talking more about the bakery chick than jabba....
Aah, I miss those days. You certainly don't know what you got til it's gone eh...
Had fun throwing eggs at the guys climbing the comms tower, so long as you stand upwind so they can't piss on you. Midnight half pissed runway walks. And the chinese dumplings the students made were great.
Who stole the pizza from the fridge?...
Go Team B
Anyone considering going to YMDN, DO IT. You'll love it.

Woomera
16th Mar 2006, 05:07
Hmmm...sounds like you lot have your own little piece of New Guinea in West Oz.:} :E

Hope you use protection:8

Woomera (Eastern States)

Monopole
16th Mar 2006, 06:35
I'm glad to hear that MDN has become the place it seems to be after reading these posts. I always have a chuckle to myself when I hear some of you people say "The good ol' days".

I was at MDN before the strip was even sealed, and stayed for a few years after B.F got the boot. Some of the old Ppruners would remember the nasty stuff that use to go on at that place, and unfortunately it was all very true. The MDN operation (before YPJT even existed, except for the Citation) went from good, to bad, to worse, to OK.

It was alot of fun though. Taking the RNRU (is it still called that) bush trying to locate the NDB tower that was suppose to go up, the beers, the BBQ's, the beers, the rocket building and the all out hard partying. Take my advise on this one though guys. Don't get a skin full of Emu bitter then go for a drive up to the old quarry. That is what nearly killed a few of us befor ANY student did.

Any pre 98ers reading this thread?? The 10 year reunion that we were going to organise is coming up. We should still do that.

Woomera

Hmmm...sounds like you lot have your own little piece of New Guinea in West Oz.

I spent a little time there as well. The MDN guys can play just as hard, but I would rather fly in PNG (not that I did. I wasn't in the industry then:{ :{ )

Bula
16th Mar 2006, 11:07
bakery chick.... hahaha I dont have a clue what you are talking about. I wasn't there and if I was I was pissed.. :ok:

Just watch out for those long walks home.. especially at 4am in winter. If a local girl says there is a party ' RUN NI%%$# RRRUUUNNN!!!!!'... though the great escape is always fun...

Down side... its a long 8 km walk at -3*C.... you'll break new land speed records on that one.... trust me.

novicef
16th Mar 2006, 11:23
Are they still going ahead with the interviews this week . I havent heard anything further from them.

Has anybody done them yet??

Stiff Under Carriage
16th Mar 2006, 11:24
You in denial Bula :E