PDA

View Full Version : Differences for Radar between ILS and LOC/DME

Gonzo
14th Feb 2006, 19:36
Can someone describe the implications for Approach Radar when vectoring for a LOC/DME approach when compared with a normal ILS approach?

rotorblades
14th Feb 2006, 19:52
Hi There,
It varies from unit to unit as to what the implications are to various approaches. The 2 airports i cover EGLC & EGKB the LLZ/DME as opposed to ILS doesnt make any difference in the vectoring of the inbounds. It makes a difference in bad weather as there is higher ''absolute minima'' (generally) for the LLZ/DME than full ILS.
Hope this helps, somebody who does 'big boys' aircraft might have a different opinion
Al

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Feb 2006, 19:55
Hey Gonzo.. Push the button to TC and ask 'em!!! Long time since I did it but I think we used to descend them to 2500 ft, pop them on the loc and tell them to descend with the procedure. Made not a scrap of difference to the vectoring or spacing....

Gonzo
14th Feb 2006, 19:59
Interesting. Thanks HD. I don't have a direct line to FIN from my lounge.... :ok:

Keep those replies coming in. Anyone else from LL APC have any thoughts?

AlanM
14th Feb 2006, 20:21
A - who needs big boys planes mate??

G

The implications for radar are namely the potential lack of sep'n on traffic below the routes (Like SRAs)

Mainly because the altitudes are in effect non precision.

For you, westerlies are the biggest concern with H10 not being separated (Separated, provided that the aircraft is on the localiser and is not cleared to descend below 2000ft QNH until 6nm from touchdown)

H3 and 27L is a bit close too!

Also - if you were to go Cat 1 ILS you would get a higher absolute minima.

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/tweetz/spam1.gif

Gonzo
14th Feb 2006, 20:26
Thanks Mossy, the scenario I'm thinking of is landing 27R, but TEAMing 27L with LOC/DME. How much of an increase in workload is there from TEAMing with full ILS 27L?

AlanM
14th Feb 2006, 20:33
Extra RT for 120.4 as a start.

Every aircraft would have to be told of the alt restriction (if on the LLZ/DME)

(unless the kind SVFR controller would "give" the airspace to FIN - and guranteeing no aircraft below the final approach track)

If the helilanes were quiet then it would be fairly easy. The only other extra RT would be to tell the aircraft on the LLZ/DME the type of approach with the landing runway, and you just say "descend with the procedure" when established.

rotorblades
14th Feb 2006, 21:07
Hi Mr Moss
A kind SVFR controller, a rarity indeed..present company excepted of course!
As for bigboys aircraft, cant wait for the 318CJ to get approval for City-whole new meaning to the words 'catch up on final'.
Al

Talkdownman
15th Feb 2006, 15:29
Oi.........and me, and me........always pushing the LCE boundaries for rotary lads and lassies. As our top rotary hero will verify!