PDA

View Full Version : Best seats for 2 people in BA 1st Class

SteveQB
14th Feb 2006, 17:53
I've saved up my airmiles and now have booked a trip to Dubai with my wife for our 10th wedding anniversary. We have enough to go 1st class, which is probably the only time I will ever go at the front of a 777.
Anyway, my question is, does anyone know which are the best 2 seats to sit in so that we can actually talk to each other? I worry that they are so like individual cabins that we won't really be able to see one another, which seems to be a bit of a shame. The centre seats seem to face away from each other. Ideally of course a window would be nice, but it is overnight both ways, so not much to look at, I just want the friendliest config!
Many thanks
Steve

Final 3 Greens
14th Feb 2006, 18:16
The centre seats are very nice, have been in them twice.

They will not feel like individual cabins, uless you wish to raise the centre divider.

Enjoy.

manintheback
14th Feb 2006, 18:16
Rows 1,2,3 seats E and F

SteveQB
14th Feb 2006, 18:39
Thanks for the quick replies, looks like the middle is the best. I have a choice of row 1 or 4, what do you think?
Cheers
Steve

hanx
14th Feb 2006, 19:44
I did not have the chance to travel in first, so i cannot recommend any of these seats by my own judgement, but you should have a look at this
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_777-200.php
Looks like row 1 would be the best for you.

SteveQB
14th Feb 2006, 20:03
great site, useful info, thanks.

Row one it is!

Final 3 Greens
14th Feb 2006, 20:30
Having been there, I'd go for 2, simply as its a little way away from the loos, on the other hand, I think that you'll find any seat in F is a great experience.

Globaliser
15th Feb 2006, 13:25
Also have a look at this photo (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0222724/M/) and this photo (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0046446/M/), which will give you an idea of what the cabin actually looks like in real life.

SteveQB
15th Feb 2006, 13:30
That looks friendly enough for me! I've managed to get row 1 out row 2 back. Although now I realise that we have booked in the middle of Ramadan, so I think I will change to the end of October....problems, problems.....

Cheers

BahrainLad
15th Feb 2006, 17:26
Just a small point...the night flight returning from DXB (if you choose that one) is comparitavely short and at a horrendous time...0200 with a 0600 arrival into LHR. If you were looking to maximise your miles, I'd use them for F outbound during the day to really enjoy the service and Club return overnight. 6 hours of darkness in the early hours of the morning isn't really worth the extra for F in my opinion.

apaddyinuk
16th Feb 2006, 17:10
I would personally suggest 2EF so you are away from the Galley and toilet and also away from the Club Galley behind you and the little work area where the crew do their Duty Free from!!!

Patrick Bateman
21st Feb 2006, 10:02
Steve,
I realise that you have (probably) already booked your flights.
However I find that it is very useful to pay to fly in one cabin and then use BA miles to upgrade to the next.
i.e pay for World Traveller Plus (get cheapest available) and use BA miles to upgrade to Club World.
I realise that Club is not in the same league as First Class but it can make your BA miles go a lot further - rather that using them all on one flight.
First Class return costs 120,000 BA miles.
Buying World Traveller Plus and then upgrading to Club will only cost 20,000 BA miles - although you obviously have to buy WTP tickets (you can however still get "cheap" or restricted fares).
So for the same amount of BA miles you could get 6 return flights in Club World. Granted you would be having to spend a lot more money but your miles would last you a lot longer.

If you were feeling flush you could also pay for Club and then use miles to upgrade to First. That would use 40,000 miles (and you would be paying a lot more), but you would still get First Class seats.

Just my opinion of course :)

manintheback
21st Feb 2006, 21:24
Steve,
i.e pay for World Traveller Plus (get cheapest available) and use BA miles to upgrade to Club World.
I realise that Club is not in the same league as First Class but it can make your BA miles go a lot further - rather that using them all on one flight.
First Class return costs 120,000 BA miles.
Buying World Traveller Plus and then upgrading to Club will only cost 20,000 BA miles - although you obviously have to buy WTP tickets (you can however still get "cheap" or restricted fares).

Have you ever tried to upgrade to Club on the Dubai route? Even a year in advance its exceptionally restricted (I tried for this feb booking last march and only WTP+ was avail on the way out).

SteveQB
22nd Feb 2006, 08:56
Thanks for the advice everyone.
It's costing me GBP 270 to fly 2 people return to DXB first class, and I am 'only' having to use 120k airmiles (I have an Amex 2 for 1 voucher). If I were to book traveller plus it would cost me about GBP2200, I don't even want to think about club!
Sounds like the best bargain ever if you ask me! Plus it is our 10th anniversary, we want to do it in a style we have never experienced before.
(BTW I have now changed to after Ramadan)
Cheers
Steve

Riverboat
23rd Feb 2006, 20:00
Because the "office" is at the front of the F cabin, the port passageway is heavily used. Hence 1A is the worst seat possible, and as far back you can go on the starboard side is what I recommend. But 4E and F would be a reasonable compromise, as you can hold hands during the flight.

MyData
28th Feb 2006, 17:03
SteveQB - are the Amex 2-for-1 offers still on?

We flew LHR to SFO on the same deal a few years ago in first. The missus was not impressed when I told her I'd pre-booked seats 1A and 1K, thought I was trying to hint at something, but once on board we were both very pleased with the arrangement. ;-)

SteveQB
4th Mar 2006, 17:57
Yep, the Amex 2 for 1's just depend on how much you spend on the card, i think anything between 10k and 15k depending on card. I travel a lot on business so all my expenses go through on it, and i easily make the threshold.