PDA

View Full Version : Eurofighter Typhoon Opinions

jwcook
14th Feb 2006, 07:50
I noticed on another thread 'Best operational aircraft in the RAF' that the Typhoon only got one vote...
Now I've seen opinions at both ends of the spectrum, its fantastic, or its a dog!! (The press in particular The Guardian hate it)
What is your impression of it?, its recently had a few encounters with foreign jets for DACT, so whats its initial capability like, maintainence wise, the news seems to be quite good, with apparently excellent availability.
Thoughts Gentlemen? (and Ladies of course)
Cheers

jwcook
14th Feb 2006, 08:45
Err..... you can add the Daily Mirror to the Guardian.

See
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16700469&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=euro-frighter---name_page.html

Hmm... Jeremy Armstrong is not a fan...

Another source said: "There are horrendous problems. The computer system is a mess and nothing seems to work properly. Some of the pilots don't feel the Typhoon is safe. It's simple as that."

Would they be french sources???:eek:

Our source said: "The crew used the computer in the usual way as they came in. But the front wheel wouldn't come down. Nor did it with the manual over-ride for use in emergencies.

"The pilots were so far down on landing they had to use the emergency parachute.

"The back end and undercarriage went up in flames. Fire crews put down foam which prevented further fire and the whole thing going up. But what if that had happened in battle?"

Blimey!!!:ooh: sounds totally different to what the pictures showed...:mad:

Cheers

Kitbag
14th Feb 2006, 09:14
I wholly agree about the pictures revealling a different story to the article posted by jwcook, and I think the pilot did a great job of minimising damage to the aircraft, but WRT to the newspaper reports regarding the development of the Typhoon although I'm not in a position to comment on the capability or serviceability of the aircraft, to the casual observer there can be no denying that it is late.

Is this because like many multinational military projects there are so many hoops to jump through to achieve compromises acceptable to the funding nations? It seems that Rafale and Gripen have achieved their nations aims in a somewhat shorter timescale despite starting at roughly the same time as Eurofighter/EF2000/Typhoon. I also suspect the budget overruns as a percentage of initial budgets are rather less.

Please feel free to put me right (if you can).

Xeque
14th Feb 2006, 09:18
I've just been sent a photo sequence of the incident with follow-up pics of the damage. It's a Powerpoint presentation. If someone can tell me how to post it I'll be glad to share it with you all.

Jackonicko
14th Feb 2006, 09:32
John,

"I noticed on another thread 'Best operational aircraft in the RAF' that the Typhoon only got one vote..."

Well it isn't in operational service yet, is it? In service, certainly, but hardly operational.

"Maintainence wise, the news seems to be quite good, with apparently excellent availability." It was unbelievably good during Case White, though that was with sufficient spares and with the ability to 'borrow' GSE and kit we hadn't ordered enough of.

Your man's description of the accident is risible.

Kitbag,

It is late, without doubt, but comparisons with Rafale are out of date. The French got nine Rafale M F1 models into service (in an extended opeval) years ago, but these had VERY limited capabilities. Since then, the French have made very slow progress in getting the operational F2 version into service with the Armée de l'Air and 3 Squadron will be up and running before EC 1/7.

The Gripen is another matter, showing the advantages that can accrue from a focused national programme.

Xeque
14th Feb 2006, 09:56
Just discovered the incident took place last month on the 16th. Sorry pardon! I hadn't heard anything about the incident before today.

jwcook
14th Feb 2006, 23:19
Well it isn't in operational service yet, is it? In service, certainly, but hardly operational.

Hmmm... The Italians are using it
Italian Eurofighter Typhoons Providing Air Cover for Turin Winter Olympics

HALLBERGMOOS, Germany, February 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Following the commencement of operations in its Air Surveillance role with the Italian Air Force on December 16 2005, the Eurofighter Typhoon new generation combat aircraft has been tasked with providing airspace air defence coverage above Turin during the Winter Olympic Games over the next two weeks.

The Eurofighter Typhoon is already in operation as part of the Italian integrated air defence system from the main base of Grosseto, home of 4. Stormo. The Aeronautica Militare is the first air force in the world to operate the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft in a real operational scenario.

The new Italian Eurofighter Typhoons form part of an air defence structure which has already been tested during events such as the Genoa G8 summit, Pratica di Mare NATO-Russia summit, the burial ceremony for Pope John Paul II and the coming into seat of Pope Benedictus XVI.

The Eurofighter Typhoon will be deployed over Turin together with the Italian Air Force F-16 as well as the MB-339CD and the HH-3F helicopter.

"Your man's description of the accident is risible".

He's not my man!!!, no wonder the sources were anonymous!, they seemed to be from (hmm how to put it nicely) err... 'non experts' ....

Theres a couple of quotes in it that will be remembered literally for seconds...;-)

Cheers

Jackonicko
15th Feb 2006, 00:25
"'Best operational aircraft in the RAF'"

The Typhoon is not operational in the RAF, merely in service.

The Eyeties are standing Q, protecting the Olympics, and all with a handful of jets. God help them if they need to train another pilot!

jwcook
15th Feb 2006, 09:45
When are the RAF going to declare Typhoons Operational?. Is it June (ish)?

Actually I have a couple More questions, Whens their first exercise with other aircraft, and the Typhoons who nose wheel failed to lower (BH?) is it repairable or a writeoff?.

I also heard that DA.2 is flying with quite a load out from Warton, unfortunatley they forgot to mention to me what load out it was (apart from 3 fuel tanks).:ooh:

I'm quite surprised that no-one has any opinion on the Typhoon:confused: , I wasn't after much just how it was thought of by those who know.:(

Cheers

spocla
15th Feb 2006, 14:32
Maybe those in the know are wary of getting involved in vacuous slanging matches with those out of the know. I know I am.

Tarnished
15th Feb 2006, 14:48
You knows what you knows, but you don't knows what you don't knows.

I'm just going to stick my finger up my nose instead this time

T

dallas
15th Feb 2006, 16:20
From The Mirror...

But former Tory Defence Secretary John Nott said recently that his decision to give the scheme the go-ahead in the early 80s was "my biggest mistake".

Crikey, Typhoon outranks the Falklands in his list of mistakes!

Also heard it needs a mainframe computer (a la 1980s?) to be flown around on a pallet on the back of Albert. That's cutting edge. :hmm:

Safeware
15th Feb 2006, 17:42
Tarnished,
wrt Rumsfeld, there are also things you know that you don't know.
The danger round here, (and in that big city near you :) ), isn't those that know that they know, or know that they don't know, it's the ones that don't know that they don't know.

sw

soddim
15th Feb 2006, 20:00
Do hope there is not a blanket ban on telling it like it is with Typhoon.

If so, it will be history repeating itself because we did that with the Tornado F3 and the head shed thought all was well when it wasn't. Set the funding to fix it all back 10 years.

time expired
18th Feb 2006, 20:06
Re. Typhoon
So its not coming into service as a not perfect weapons system, what a
huge suprise, tell me which aircraft has in the last 50 years, remember the
F111, F14, the list goes on.I would like to hear the opinion of the aircrew
because I have serious reservations about anything I read in the media
and this includes the Aviation press on this subject.The only legitimate
beef as far as I can see is that the aircraft is 4 years too late and that
is clearly the fault of the Germans.

Raymond Ginardon
18th Feb 2006, 20:58
jw,

DA2 has been flying Asymm CFH sorties for the last little while. Right wing heavy.

Ray

jwcook
18th Feb 2006, 20:59
Hmm.. well it looks like heavy trials are starting in Germany, couple of pictures of IPA3 with GBU++++tanks++

Pictures here http://www.flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=9147&page=216
its in German and you'll have to register.

Are there 4x1000lb or 4x2000lbs??.

Thanks to Scorpion for the heads up.

Re spare parts for the Typhoon, doesn't the different countries have a different contract re spares...?

Cheers

JFZ90
19th Feb 2006, 12:47
Jacko,

I've also heard good things about Case White. Are there any good open source quantified soundbites as to the achieved availability during this time, that can be compared to say F15 or Tornado on its entry to service?

Jackonicko
19th Feb 2006, 23:30
The problem would be finding the comparison figures for F-15 and Tornado, which were so dire that they were always kept firmly under wraps.

Tarnished
20th Feb 2006, 02:06
I think you'll find that Case White went so much better than even the risk averse contractual folks within the company predicted. The benefit of having access to all the knowledge and spares was not appreciated by everyone concerned it would appear.

Tarnished

the_tartanterror
20th Feb 2006, 19:34
Tarnished,

Would you email me offlist, as i have a few questions for you

Cheers
Neil

Eric Aldrovandi
20th Feb 2006, 20:03
The fundamental problem with the Typhoons is that they are flown by Jag-mate pumpers. Say no more.

Tarnished
20th Feb 2006, 21:22
Tartanterror/Neil

Tried to PM you, but it says you are either not allowed or have chosen not to receive messages. If you get your side sorted then PM me.

Tarnished

soddim
21st Feb 2006, 18:42
No fan of Jag mates but have to disagree, Eric Aldrovandi, fundamental problem from my point of view is that I was past my sell-by date when Typhoon entered service.

No wish to join the pension-less generation but a manoeuvrable mount would have made life so much easier when I was young enuff to soar with the eagle.

Not sure about all this software stuff, though. Maybe software gives you someone else to blame if you don't have a navigator and screw up.