PDA

View Full Version : Latest info on phase 1 selection please!

SACrIGGER
14th Feb 2006, 01:26
Hi guys, really sorry as I know this type of question crops up all the time but,

Does anyone have any info on the type of questions that will be asked on the phase one selection day. I'm not sure if these have changed recently, but if you have gone through recently any info would be great.

Also many people have spoken about a online computer test before the selection day, does everyone have to do these, as nothing has been mentioned to me about them, and if not how are people selected for these tests?

Cheers Ian Dickson.:confused:

G-UNIT
14th Feb 2006, 09:10
Hi, i'm in the same boat. Did the first round of assessments in London last Monday. Heres a brief run down:

4 Aptitude tests, could be in any order, including:

Numerical reasoning: Quite easy, general maths questions. Just practice +-x/ and you should be fine.30 questions in 10 min

Spacial reasoning: A real b@@@@d! Genuinely hard, you get a cube folded flat with diagrams on each side. then from a list you've got to pick the completed cube that could be made from the flat one. Sounds easy, and the first few are, but the shapes get bigger and more complex until they're bloody hard. 40 in 20min

Diagramatic reasoning: Another hard one involving short term memory and ability to follow instructions. Quite hard to describe really. you get a series of shapes in 3,4 or 5 cubes arranged top to bottom next to each cube is a command symbol. all you have to do is follow the commands from top to bottom and pick from the list what order the new column would be. Commands include: ignore next command, reverse shading, ignore last command, reverse final result etc. A real brain fryer. Again they start easy and get f'#'#''#g hard.40 in 20min

Data Checking: Very straight forward this one. given a string of characters (e.g. - wfdtsh332) on the left, all you have to do is find the same one on the right. Time is the real pressure on this beast and the strings get bigger and bigger. Accuracy is MOST important even if you dont finish. 40 in 5 min

Motivation paper: 30 questions based on the pre-learning document you can download. Very easy if you prepare properly.30 in 20min

Personality questionnaire. 248 questions. Turn your brain off and answer them as honestly as possible. Effectively 6 questions asked in 50 different ways. They will know if you're not being honest.

Finally a 15 question personality something or other i can't remember.

And thats about it, a talk from serving ATCO about whats its like yada yada yada and home time. Good Luck.

I

darkhorse1001
15th Feb 2006, 11:48
G-UNIT is spot on, my selection day took exactly the same form. My experience was that the questions themselves weren't that hard but that the time restraints were the real killer.

I to was a bit confused about the 'online tests' that have been mentioned, i never came across them.

You can also relax about the 'discussion' with an ATCO, it really is just a discussion not a stealth interview, and you probably end up asking more questions than they do!

good luck, i came out thinking i'd done reasonably well, and immediatly went about gathering as much info as i could about stage two only to recieve the rejection e-mail yesterday.